Pre-Purchase Going to see a 2012 EX i-DTEC Tourer on Monday

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by bigroncoleman, Saturday 14th Nov, 2015.

1. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

Been thinking of changing my 2010 ES GT Saloon for a while and with bambino no.2 on the way, thinking of a Tourer or CR-V. Came across a 2012 EX I-DTEC Tourer that really caught my eye today, looks a very clean example, low mileage (38K) etc. Going to see and test drive it Monday afternoon. Looking at it's price and what 2010 Accords are selling for, i think i might be able to do this change for approx £4K which strikes me as very good considering i am going from 2010 to 2012, old model to face lift model, Saloon to Tourer, ES GT to EX, 85K miles to 38K miles etc.

Would appreciate any advice from Tourer owners or just advice in general for what i should look out for. It has 1 owner from new, serviced 3 time by Honda every 10-12K so ticks most of the boxes. Seller will MOT at no extra cost before i buy as it's due shortly. I'm going to look out for the rust on he sunroof but any other pointers much appreciated.

Thanks

BigRon

Racy Jace likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BigRon if you go for the 2012 car you will see further refinement than your 2010 car you will really appreciate them and enjoy the car, hope the numbers and the car is in good nick and you get it, Fingers crossed.

Tourers, there is nothing to look for just minor issues, the 2012 car has a modified sunroof but do check for rust I can't see it being there but always best to check. look at the front passenger door window goes down and up without issue and check the tailgate operation form the key fob and the switch inside.

Check the service history and see its had it regular oil changes , fuel filter and air filter changes, if the owner has used the correct grade of 0w-30 low sap oil you can be rest assured it will be peach.

3. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response Ichiban.

Was wondering what difference in MPG can i expect from the tourer compared with my saloon? I'm guessing maybe 2-3mpg less or is that unrealistic? Can any tourer owners comment on what MPG they are experiencing?

Thanks

BigRon

4. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mohammed Stalybridge
    Just had mine a week or so.
    42.2 mixed driving as per readout over about 450 miles
    Slightly heavy foot occasionally
    But it has been s***e weather and traffic as well
    Will do manual check in due course

5. Masiv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mohammed Stalybridge
    Quick update. Manual MPG on fill up is 45.6! On display its just 41.2.
    You don't often see it this way round! Guess that's Honda for you.
    The above is on a full tank of which about 3/4 was shell v power.
    I've now filled up on Texaco regular and will see how it compares.

6. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    As a guideline I had a 61 Reg Tourer and I did 16k miles in it with an average overall MPG of just over 55. Then again I am fairly light footed and did mostly long runs. My lowest figure between fill ups was 49.3 and my highest 61.1.

The computer MPG reading tended (and also does on my current Accord saloon) to understate the actual brim to brim figure. In my experience the real MPG was in excess of the official figures on both cars. With careful driving it has been claimed that you can achieve more than 900 miles on a tankful of diesel but my best was just over 800 in the Tourer (my saloon appears to do about 60/70 miles more than this in favourable warm conditions).

Zebster likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    With MPG you can only ever estimate it as there's no way of knowing the fuel density. Each offering from all the petrol stations and indeed each fillup may have a differing amount of fuel density. Then on top of that you can only estimate the volume used too from the injector openings, fuel pressure may not always been the same either, air temperature, fuel temperature also make a difference.

So as you can see there's lots of variables involved in estimating MPG, so what people refer to as a computer reading, is not really a reading at all it's an estimate, so therefore will always be inaccurate.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    For some time now I have taken to filling up when fuel tanks are about 3/4 empty as I believe in 2.4EXi Accord & S2000 their fuel pumps are in their tanks so fuel helps their fuel pumps to run cool & therefore prolong life.. Do not know situation with diesel's but I do know that replacing a diesel fuel pump is very expensive. Son In Law paid £4000 for new diesel fuel pump on a 57 reg. Audi A6 All Road at 57k miles which more than wiped out ant savings in running a diesel over a petrol. Then there are potential problems with, Gas recirculation valves, diesel particulate filters & dual mass flywheels. If running a diesel its worth considering a Honda extended warranty with wear & tear.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The pump in the tank is a lift pump, rather than the expensive high pressure pump. It makes the fuel system self-priming, which the I-CTDI isn't.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

11. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @Nels / All

Sorry for the lack of updates but in the interim, i have bought/collected the Tourer and sold my 2010 saloon so it's been a productive couple of weeks!

Really delighted with the Tourer, between the facelift differences and upgrade to EX, the car feels significantly better to me, more "refined" as @Ichiban says above.

The weather has been horrendous of late so haven't had time to do proper wash/polish and take pics so attaching couple of pics from dealer site.

The only downside is that today i noticed the passenger side window screen trim is lifting. I had this exact issue in my 2010 saloon but wasn't expecting it on the 2012 Tourer. My local honda garage fixed the trim out of warranty on my last car, this car still has over a month's warranty left so presumably i won't have an issue getting this fixed free of charge from a Honda dealer?

Attached Files:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @Ichiban . Car is booked in for 8.30am on Monday to sort it under warranty.

16. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @Ichiban / All

Looking for some advice. Had the car booked in today to get this sorted. Wife dropped car off at 8am and collected at 5pm only find out nothing was done to car!!! First excuse was they needed to order a part and they hadn't done that. Second excuse was the part was really expensive so they wanted to check with us as it's NOT 100% covered under warranty. They are saying Honda will 1/2 towards the part, which is £111 (so £55 to us) but that we have to pay for the labor, which will be about £50 so in total this is going to cost me £100-£110. Is this right? My car isn't 4yrs old until next month so should i not expect to have this fully covered?

Strange thing is, i had my previous accord done free of charge (was a different Honda garage though) and at the time that car was out of 4yr warranty i recall correctly.

Going to phone them tomorrow but want some advice before i do so.

Thanks in advance.

BigRon