Sponsors Gold Plug Magnetic Sump Plugs now available

Discussion in 'Opieoils' started by oilman, Wednesday 3rd Dec, 2014.

1. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

goldplug.
    In the past we’ve often been asked if we sell magnetic sump plugs? Well we have some good news – WE DO NOW and there not just any magnetic sump plug there Gold Plug all the way form the US of A! These plugs feature the most powerful magnets in the world and they knock the socks of their competitors and they look the business too!
    As a start we are now stocking 12 different variations, however these 12 cover hundreds if not thousands of cars and bikes including BMW’s, Ford, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Mini, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Land Rover, Volvo, Subaru, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Honda, Mazda, Saab, Kia, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Harley Davidson – the list is endless but don’t worry we have created a look up guide for the ones we have that can be found here > > >
    All plugs are priced on our web site at £15.59 before 10% members discount (£14.03 after discount!). Where possible club discount codes can be found in our signature, however if it's not then drop us a PM and we will let you know.
    Once you have found your required plug then visit our Gold Plug section of our web site and add to your basket. If however you have any questions on these then feel free to give us a call on 01209 202949 or send us an email to sales@opieoils.co.uk or just ask us on the forum and we will be happy to help.
    Cheers
    - oilman

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are loads of Neodymium magnet manufacturers out there even in ebay stick two on on the outside of the bolt and you have the same as above.

3. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

I guess that could work, but I'm not 100% sure it would be a great idea, unless you have something pretty secure holding the magnets in place. If they collect a decent amount of metal on the plug, then come off, the magnetism is lost instantly, so there is suddenly a dose of metal filings released into the oil.

Cheers

Tim

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would be good to see some example photos of metal filings having been collected if there are any available? I had a magnetic one on my MPS

As for magnets, I've bought these in the past to create a magnetic pickup tool for nails.
    Very strong, will tear your skin off if they catch it. Perhaps another point to consider is that they can crack very easily if attached quickly or from a further distance due to their magnetic strength.

5. Eck Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have also seen some magnets that are put on the outside of the filter but thought that flow was from out to in on most filters and therefore not too effective - what way does Honda oil flow anyone?

6. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool cheers. What rating is the magnet?

8. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

While looking for the magnet rating, I just found this picture which shows what the plug pulled out of the oil.

GoldPlug At Oil Change - Gold Plug LLC

I can't find what the magnets are rated as, other than a hammer. The information on their website doesn't mention a rating, I've spoken to our supplier and they will forward some information about the magnets to me.

Cheers

Tim

Last edited: Thursday 4th Dec, 2014
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers. Definitely not N52 as the hammer would never drop, in fact you would struggle to remove it! lol I'm guessing they may not even be Neodymium and probably a ceramic or ferrite type but if they do the job then they do the job!

10. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

I'm not a magnet expert, but when I spoke to our supplier, he said he couldn't remember the rating, but they were something around the middle or upper middle on the Neodymium rating scale, so basically magnetic enough to do the job well.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Thanks for checking :Smile:

12. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

Just got an email off him, they are rated at 45, if that means anything to you.

Cheers

Tim

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It could well be N45 if the magnetic part is small enough as a 0.5cm diameter one will hold about 1/2 kg if a few mm thick (referencing back to the hammer drop). The only thing that may be worth looking into is the max working temperature because a standard N45 has a TMax of 80°C. I'm not sure what magnet was in my MPS one but when doing an oil change there was always a bit of gunk attached to it so I'm assuming there was a little bit of metal filing in there holding the gunk together against the magnet. I don't think the magnet has to be mega strong anyway as logic would dictate that any metal filings should fall to the lowest point when the engine is off. I guess so long as it's strong enough to hold the filings during operation! lol

14. oilman Special Partner Club Affiliate

I've spoken to the supplier about temperature and he said the magnet does start to lose it's effectiveness at over 150C, and is useless at 250C. In most cars, the oil never gets near 150C. In cars where the oil does get to 150C, they have more to worry about than a few filings.

Cheers

Tim