Suspension, Steering and Brakes Gonna drop the Tourer

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jayok, Tuesday 29th Jan, 2013.

1. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, so I've taken the plunge and decided to put new springs onto the Accord. I've a sagging spring on the O/S/F that I replaced (both sided) with new springs and shocks about 9 months ago ... and it's sagging again! :Angry:

Anyhow, I decided give the suspension an overhaul and put some H&R in springs all around, however, I want to check if there's anything special with removing the springs from the rear of the tourer? There are not coilovers in there but a separate spring and shock. Do I need to use the spring compressor back there??

Thanks.

FWIW - when I do it I'll put up a guide! :Smile:

2. jmcg New Member Getting Started

Hi Jayok,
    I borrowed your bush/bearing set a while back. I have two spring compressors that I can lend if you need them. Let me know.
    J

3. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    you just need to compress front springs, rear are nice and easy job, remember that H&R are quite hard springs and H&R recommend shorter dampers otherwise your stock may say goodbye very soon ;-)

4. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@jmcg - that would be great if it's not too much hassle

@brodizu - the drop is only 30mm and the springs are 10% stiffer. Not expecting too much of a change in the ride. Regarding the change - I am happy with the front it's just the rear- how is this approached

Thanks

5. jmcg New Member Getting Started

No probs, I'll collect them from home at the weekend and drop them your way probably sunday.
    J

jayok likes this.
  6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had Eibach on my last Accord and they were great. Just right drop and no need to change the shocks. Highly recommend them.

7. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, couldn't get Eibach, no longer do them for the Tourer. Went with H&R in the end, have the same drop and stiffness as the eibach. Seem to be rated well.

8. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    HR are stiffer than Eibach :Wink:

9. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apparently they are 10% than stock....

10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    well, I've heard the same about Eibach, anyway I hope you gonna like them :Wink:

11. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks.

Now anyone any comments on the removal of the rear springs??

12. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right so - all done. I got about a 30-35mm drop all round. I used the standard shocks, though I don't expect them to last long, I wanted to see the results before committing to the complete set. Springs were H&R and £160 incl P&P.

Some things I've notices so far:

1. Steering seems more planted and less likely to wander
    2. Car is less twitchy at high speed
    3. Less body roll in the bends (less space to roll in!)
    4. Much more point and turn about the car now

But, some of the possibly negative points:

1. Ride is firmer - not too bad, but the cabin seems to rattle more
    2. Road noise seems to have increased slightly (not sure of this but I am listening for it)

Overall, I'm impressed for £160 (incl P&P) and about 3 hours labour of my own time (including an oil+filter service), it seems worth it.

Oh and to answer my question, to remove the rear springs on the tourer you need to:

1. Jack up the lower arm (weight of the car causes this to compress)

2. Remove both the connecting shock bolt and hub-bolt

3. Lower the whole arm and the spring can be removed.

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good job. Whats the rear camber like? When I did mine it threw the camber out and had to fit adjustable rear arms and then get them tracked up.

14. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't had an alignment done yet, as I'm gonna let the spring settle over the next few days. It's funny how the camber is out, as the A-spec drops by 40mm and I assume would be still in spec - but I'll need to measure.

Here's the overall drop:

front-wheel.JPG