Engine & Gearbox Good stories

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mylightweight, Tuesday 16th Jul, 2013.

1. mylightweight Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I have literally spent 24hrs looking through this forum regarding the 7th Generation 2.2 diesel.

All I can find are bad stories about them having this go wrong or that fail accompanied by huge repair bills.

Has anyone got any positive stories about these cars. As a prospective buyer having read the forum I am really thinking of going to another manufacturer with my hard earned.

I suppose I just want to here both sides.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Avoid the 7th Generation diesel and if you want a reliable Honda diesel then it the 8th Generation. But if you looking for a cheaper diesel you better off somewhere else to be honest.

3. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has any one got a positive comment on the 7th Generation diesel , there must be some good ones, mustn't there???

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are a few love them to bit despite their shortcoming and some have gone to cross 200k miles. But you will find average ownership for a I-CTDI diesel is 4 years where compared to petrol is 8 years. You can put that down to running costs and reliability.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come on your diesel owners no one going to refute the charges lol

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was in the same boat as Chris after browsing this site so I opted for an 8th Generation. I am glad I made that choice:Thumbup:

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Touch wood my 7th Generation diesel hasn't been that problematic the alternator and a caliper is all mines needed but its always in the back of your mind whether or not something major is going to go! This can be said for all cars though! Buy a petrol if you want the reliability Honda is renowned for in my eyes the 8th Generation will be better but it's still early days there not as old as the 7th gens yet

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    8th Generation diesel already five years old mate and the I-CTDI is 9 years old so won't call it early doors :Wink:

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oooh look at CJ sticking up for diesels is the weather getting to you mate :lol:

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL must be all this sun that's confusing him ha ha.

11. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had second honda with this engine (Civic before), never has got any problems, very good economy (8th generatin with DPF really will make problems), cheap to service, and all issues which I had there were sort it by honda for free (06 and 56 reg cars), no more cost then other cars (rear brake pads £17), my father has got passat 55 1.9 tdi, and every few months ther were some problems...since one year he change to FR-V with 2.2 ICTDI, and since this time he is very happy. Even my mechanic ask that he didn't see me for long time...I told him that now I have proper car and he agree with my. All the problems which you can find, are mostly user faults, if they have got strange noise they should repair it not waiting for total damage something, and later on you can read that ICTDI is crap engine....read some test and reviews on the internet, this engine is the best diesel since 2000 year all together with 3.0 BMW diesel engine....

Last edited: Wednesday 17th Jul, 2013
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I have a 2.2 also and like you bud I spent a lot of time reading up mainly here on the car. All i found or mainly should I say was negative. I still bought one and have no regrets.
    This site and those that contribute saved me a fortune. I am no novice to diesels but this is my first Honda. I looked Very Hard at 13 cars all Accords before I bought the one I own. It had the manifold prob but because of this site I knew that before I bought it. Replace by Honda so all good. Yes the chain worried me but I had 3 main dealers look it over and found it fine so I just change the oil every 4-5k and I know its OK. Correct oil important as is history. If you want a drive in a good one pop to northampton you can drive mine. The car has a massive 90k on it now so years left in her if she is looked after!!
    I never leave issues if its wrong it gets fixed find it best way go be in the long run.
    I come from long term Audi VW ownership and would NEVER touch one again utter utter rubbish for those who enjoy driving a unreliable badly put together pile of poo and if you get issues don't expect VAG group to help you unless you have a fat wallet to empty...

I honestly think the 7th Generation is a damn good first effort, yes the m8 is better but it should be!!

I am looking to sell and return to petrol but only because my mileage has more than halved now or she would be staying..
    If you ever fancy chatting through diesel ownership and living with a 7th Generation PM me and I will happily give you a bell.

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Sorry, just to add you will get huge repair bills with all modern diesels and many share the same issues. Just look hard for the right car bud.. :Smile:

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mines got 138k and I don't trust it one bit.
    But apart from a clutch and alternator, it's been alright.
    Don't get me wrong I love the car. Just keep expecting something expensive to go wrong.

15. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

167k on mine now she recently did a nice run to France and back no probs. Although I'm like Rob and keep expecting something expensive lol

16. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

83k on my diesel. Clutch slip 10k ago but nothing since. VSA modulator replaced under warranty. Only other expense is servicing, tyres and brakes. I love the car and honestly am in no hurry to change it. Achieving 62-65mpg on a drive to work (Huddersfield to Leeds). Average economy since I bought it is 49.64 based on fuel put in and mileage travelled over nearly 30k miles.