General Got a note from the Safer Neighbourhoods team regarding the Accord today..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Sunday 14th Dec, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you haven't guessed already its about catalytic converter thefts in my local area. Has anybody else around London/Greater London got these too? @exec @Phil P - tag others if you know they live somewhere around London.

cc theft.

Anyway is there any way to prevent this from happening? At the moment I've resorted to backing into the driveway as close as possible to the front door but I can still get to it pretty easily. All I know is that I definitely have to do something as if this does happen to my car then I will most probably have to scrap it.

I was thinking a bike lock of some sorts? I would say my budget is £100 if that helps.

exec likes this.
  2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just came across this:

If people are willing to pay £200 for it then how much is it worth when melted down?

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I didn't get any round my area, it's nice to see your local authorities doing something about it. Unfortunately there isn't a great deal you can do about it, if someone wants to nick it, they will, I have seen cat locks that can help secure it a bit, but my worry would be is that they would do a whole lot of more damage to get the cat off with a cat lock. They will also pretty much strike anywhere at any time, the metals in the cat of the Accord seems to be worth a lot, couple of hundred pounds which is why I assume it is a big target.

If your's does get stolen, then don't scrap it, just fit an aftermarket one, doesn't cost much, should be around £150 for the the mid pipe, cat and flexipipe and around £60 for the o2 sensor, then £30 labour fitting. I am glad I replaced mine in the end and not scrapped her, it cost me a bomb but the car has a bit of sentimental value which is somewhat priceless for me.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This might sound ridiculous, but have you considered leaving a note on your cat? :Laughing: Obviously it reaches some pretty heft temps so paper wouldn't do, but if you could think of a way to deliver a message I'd imagine the following would have some affect:

Or:

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Didn't consider the fact that the lock would force the thief to damage the car even more - I was just assuming that they'd leave it and work on another vehicle.

I can afford it but they can always strike again :Frown:

In that case we assume they can read English... going by local news lately, I highly doubt it/they wouldn't care

The camera is a good idea as I planned on getting a rear dash cam but all they will do is smash the rear window, nick the camera and leave me with another £100 worth of damage! I could use a wifi cam but that's going to cost £80 at least.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wasn't actually suggesting getting a camera, as you say that leaves that at risk of being stolen, and if they have any brains they'll use something to hide their face anyway. Thought was that it's a deterrent, and every little helps in that respect. If you make them panic...

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@DeviateDefiant - I get what you mean now. I've still got the dashcam in the front that records 24/7 so I've gotta be mindful of that.

Like you said every little helps. I'm also thinking of installing a driveway sensor alarm.

Also.. I found out that my uncles VW's cat was nicked outside a school during daytime. The school is only 5 mins from where I live and the fact that they did it in such an open area astounds me espc with kids and teachers that can see them. It cost him just under £400 to get it fixed.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That sounds pretty involved as a deterrent, don't forget you're talking about spending against something possibly happening. If that sensor system cost £50 to set-up, that's £50 towards if it did actually happen.

That's pretty ballsy to say the least, the only reassurance on that is that you can get an aftermarket cat for under £100, long as you're not already close to the emissions limit you should pass an MOT fine on it, though I cannot recommend it really as strictly a cat needs to be approved for your particular vehicle to be legal.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They cost £30 and I can fit them so I will definitely look into it soon. My only issue would be with cats so hopefully I can get pet friendly PIRs and I also need to get a timer so I don't set it off inadvertently

The car has no emission problems whatsoever, all the readings were close to zero. Fortunately as the car was manufactured before 2001, I can use CATs that don't meet certain spec (i.e they still let out pollutants as the materials as less useful material is used) legally which cost £50. The O2 sensor is a standard issue for Accords anyway so I'll happily buy genuine for that so all that's left is midpipe, flexipipe? and labour.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Check your insurance policy as well mate, some cover you for theft of not only car, but any damage resulting as a result of that theft - so in the event it did happen, you could possibly claim if necessary.

Or you could slam the car - hard to crawl underneath it then. :Laughing:

They like vehicles with a fair bit of ground clearance for ease of removal - they normally just cut the exhaust pipe on either end - its quicker and easier and takes the experienced guys around 2 minutes .

Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I guess for that price, it's a no brainer. Besides, tinkering with stuff like that is fun :Innocent:

I'm not sure on the 6th Generation whether the flexi is attached to the main down pipe after the header or not, but in theory, new cat, a decat pipe, then the pennies for someone to weld the cat onto it. Installation is just a few bolts so you could handle that yourself :Smile:

There you go mate, a logical reason to slam your car :Laughing:

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They won't strike again with an aftermarket cat bought for around £70 as its worth nothing and won't have any valuable metal worth selling. Don't get an original otherwise they will.

I had to replace the mid pipe and flexi on mine, as they cut it on those and nick the cat. An OEM o2 sensor will hit you £180, way too much, the only aftermarket one that works is the NGK/NTK which is only £70, I got lucky and found an OEM sensor from ebay for only £40! The plus side of the aftermarket cat is that its much more free flowing, so the acceleration on the car has improved, on the downside come MOT time, the emissions test will be fingers crossed moment.

Also wouldn't bother claiming on insurance it will just hit you back on premiums.

My dad's old 6th Generation also had the cat nicked, that was in broad daylight on a summers afternoon, on a very busy road with CCTV!

13. Nighthawk Guest

To be honest, the very vast majority of the time, they wouldn't know if its OEM or not, nor would they care. 20 quid is still better than nothing

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I take it a decat wouldn't pass an MOT based on inspection let alone the emissions test?

My other idea is to sandblast the CAT to make it look new. Theory behind it is if a 15 year old car has a new looking CAT, chances are that its an aftermarket replacement which won't be worth as much.

Or, just get a decat and swap the CAT back in come MOT time?

On another note I forgot to install the locking nuts so that can be a bonus item for scum, will this breaker bar suffice (used a torque wrench that went to 200NM and it still didn't take the bolt off!) -

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You've be surprised how many don't actually physically check for a cat, or would be fooled by an empty cat shield - but yeah, not the way to play it - you wouldn't pass emissions.

This is pretty common, but again, it is illegal bud.

exec likes this.
  16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well if its illegal I won't bother.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove/loosen bolts mate. That's the job of a breaker bar.
    The Sealey one you posted link to will do the job fine but you could look for "lifetime" warranty ones, here's an example

Attached Files:

Chunkylover53, exec and Nels like this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    They will know, they know their stuff and you can tell if the cat is original or not most of the time as the design and finishing is different, aftermarket cats are really cheap looking with bare metal and unclean welding, they will not go after them, they are not worth more than £5, got this info from local mechanic where I got mine fixed, he said they won't bother with aftermarket cats.

As said decat is illegal and you will fail emissions, coppers will slap your wrist if they stop you and inspect your car, sandblasting won't help either it will just make the thing look more new and attractive! I don't think there is a whole lot of things you can do, you could just swap the OEM cat for an aftermarket one to spare the cost of replacing the other exhaust part and o2 sensor.

I have that breaker bar, works a treat getting the wheel nuts off.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers for the advice guys, I'm probably going to go ahead and see what I can do in terms of a driveway alarm. Or possibly add a camera that overlooks the cars with motion detection notification.

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

I respect what your mechanic says to you, but I don't agree with him - they won't care about the type of metal its made from and will not know if its aftermarket or not. They don't crawl under cars in the dark with torches to confirm if its OEM or not as the longer they are under there, the higher the chances of getting caught, they crawl under and just remove. I have plenty of experience of these types of things without going into detail and the type of people that commit these offences are not car literate. They will sell the parts for what they can get for them and move on. The quicker they can get parts off, the quicker they will move on.