Off-Topic got the tummy bug?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mike c, Tuesday 11th Dec, 2012.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi guys,
    how many of you, like me, are currently sitting at home looking at this site because you have got this dreaded tummy bug that is going around?

Last Thursday night I started having dreadful stomach cramps which kept me awake all night. The pain was terrific. On Friday I was no better and absolutely drained of energy and I could not face anything to eat or drink. Then came the runs!
    I have lost around 1/2 a stone (which is no bad thing) and I am now slowly starting to get a little better- thank goodness. A visit to the docs informed me that this bug is rife in the midlands, particularly amongst children and the only sensible approach is to let it take its course but keep taking the fluids.
    On the positive side it was suggested that because of my manual /driving job I should consider taking a week off. This has allowed me to have a look on the main AOC site and view all you the great pictures you guys have put on here.(I normally take my daily look on my iphone , which is good but not as good as using my laptop.)
    Anyway, if like me you are suffering, you have my sympathy. make the most of your time and enjoy perusing this great forum.

regards Mike c:Thumbup:

Malibu likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get well soon Mike you do want that around xmas around the corner.:Xmas:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    At least now you can eat lots of mince pies and put half a stone back on over christmas without feeling guilty. :Thumbup:

4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys, I never feel guilty about eating mince pies throughout the year so at Xmas I feel it is obligatory!!!!
    At the moment I must admit I cannot face anything as exotic as a pie with soup being the suggested menu of the day ! Lol

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hey bud

Yep in Northants to!!

Am lucky enough to work in a GP surgery and as a perk of the job I managed to pick up a free batch of this wonder bug!

God I love my job :Smile:

SayamaAccord and Malibu like this.
  6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Do they give you time off in loo as part of your contract? Lol

SayamaAccord and Primarycare like this.
  7. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Time off in the loo more like! Lol

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:lol: ha good one. However alas NO ...

In fact time off for sickness is frowned upon.. :Unknown:I don't tend to pick up bugs, did most of them in my first 2 years in general practice after that you tend to build up a good immune system for most stuff.... :Smile:

9. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It is now day 11 of this awful bug and I am still at home and still not back to normal (or as normal as I have ever been ). A return visit to the docs to get something to speed up the process resulted in me being told to " let it take its course " gee thank you doc .
    By the way isn't daytime TV cr4p ?
    Regards to all my fellow sufferers
    Mike c

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My daughter has been battling this since Friday and touch wood its much better now. She has been active on both ends and few duvet covers and bedsheets have been destroyed in the process.

Just spend 150 quid for a full replacement :Aghast:

She was really bad and I can now relate to your Mike

11. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I hope your daughter has a full recovery well before Christmas, it's awful to see kids suffer with something like this. I have a 3.1/2 year old granddaughter who was poorly a couple of months ago , it was criminal to watch her just lie about when she is normally full of life. Fortunately she is now fine.
    Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear your little one has the bug CJ poor mite. Its a tough one with kids mine are all ill at the mo thankfully not with the bug I had which was... Well not nice.

This sickness bug is a virus (if it is Novo you guys have had) so there us not much Dr can do to be fair. We have 8 partners and 3 salaried GPS and out of those 7 of our Drs are on forced sick leave with this damn bug.
    Can't have them in work as it is so contagious.

That said the norm is about 48 hours and you should start to feel better perhaps not your old self but improving.

Its a rotten bug that does the rounds every year and also claims lives especially with the infirm and elderly.

People are still infectious up to 3 days after the nasty bit has passed which is worth bearing in mind for all those conscientious peeps out there desperate to get back to work.

Wishing you all a speedy recovery..

Last edited: Monday 17th Dec, 2012
    Ichiban likes this.
  13. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

She is much better thanks - bouncing around like new again!!