Electrical & Lights GPS Tracker wiring (Steering column loom)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Jasper254, Thursday 9th Jul, 2015.

1. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Norwich
    Hi, I recently purchased a TK-102 tracker from eBay. For £30 it does the job, quite impressed with it! I've been running it on batteries, charging one whilst using the other. They last around a week on constant tracking which is quite good but its a pain keep swapping them. Latest buy is the hard wiring kit for the tracker here. I'd like to wire this in under the steering column out of the way, had a quick look to see what cables are under there I can hook off. There's a lot! Does anybody know what the best place would be to wire this from, only need a positive and negative 12v. It doesn't have to be permanent live either, ignition is fine as the tracker can run on battery when the car is off and charge when the car is running.

I hope this makes sense and somebody can help!
    Many thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Easiest point would be to tap off the cigarette lighter.

3. Jasper254 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Norwich
    @SpeedyGee which socket would be the easiest to get behind and hide the tracker? Ta!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Depends how good the GPS antenna is, you probably can't hide it too deeply in the car it will probably lose signal.

When you get it, just experiment, placing it under different parts of the dash.

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Id probably hook it up behind the roof lining by the front windscreen - no wires or cables to interfere with the signal. The roof of a car is only a single skin so its not thick and wouldn't block the signal. Under the dashboard is too much electrical interference I would have thought (only surmising here), but as @SpeedyGee says, too deeply hidden could be an issue.

And yes, tap it off the cigarette lighter - it runs on its own circuit so if you do get it wrong, it shouldnt damage any other part of the car.