Suspension, Steering and Brakes Grating Noise

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mickthesaw, Monday 7th Jan, 2013.

1. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Today I've noticed a grating sound coming from my front offside wheel.It very much sounds like the pads but the noise isn't there when braking and when driving normally.
    Its very pronouced when turning left and not so when turning right.The outside pad shows that there is about 5mm of material left I need to take the wheel off to check the inside which will be done tomorrow.
    I've a feeling that it could be the driveshafts or a wheel bearing..?? any ideas..?
    also would the bearing/driveshafts be covered under Honda approved used car warranty..?
    Its a 09 with 47k, the warranty runs out in April.
  2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Based on what you say about the sound when turning left and right, could well be a CV boot joint.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could be a suspension related noise of some lose plastic trip like the engine sump cover.

ideally it needs a good look and poke around.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You could have a stone stuck in between the shield and the brake disc itself. You'll need to get the wheel off and check.
  5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it only does it when turning it could be CV boot. Look for dark gunky grease and splits in the CV boot when checking your pads.
  6. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies I'll let you no tomorrow what the problem is, if any.. hopefully
  7. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Turns out it was my rear pads being shot, the outside were ok but the inside was catching,it has a spring which must alert you to the fact there are getting ready for replacement.
    I could have sworn the noise was coming from the front though..!!!
    Oh well, another tick for Honda reliability.:Thumbup:
  8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Least you've found the source of the issue, and not an expensive one either.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine did exactly the same Mick only a few days ago. The outsides had 3-4mm on but the insides were completely gone. Got the parts from ECP for £42.42 (discs and pads) and was back on the road 2 hours later.