Accord Gravity brake fluid change or brake bleeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hondream, Wednesday 13th Jul, 2016.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has tried this on their car.
    Your comments would be appreciated.
    As drive is on slight slope, can only jack up front or back of car, and can only do 2 wheels at the same time.
    Open 2 bleed screws and just keep topping up brake fluid reservoir. Close bleed screws when done.

Pro's
    1) Seems to be fairly easy,
    2) can be done by one person
    3) no messing about opening and closing the bleed screws.

Cons
    Can't see any, but then I've never bled brakes before :Smile:

Thanks

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can't see how gravity bleeding would force through any air pockets.
    Pumping the pedal or a pressurised bleeding method would be preferable.

hondream likes this.
  3. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm not convinced that this would work very well... I think air would get in via the threads. But maybe I've misunderstood the full benefits?

If only you lived a bit nearer I'd offer to help you!

hondream likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I bought a one man ezibleed kit for my Jazz's clutch fluid. It has a no return valve so no need to keep the end of the tube dipped in fluid..

All the videos online showed it doing wonders but for me there was hardly fluid coming out no matter what I did ... Was not helped by the cramped engine bay but yeah definitely need to think about putting some grease on the thread/pipe so no air leaks back in.

I personally gave up and have been waiting to find someone to help me with that. I would suggest you do the same and only do it yourself if you don't find any help specially if it's your first time.

hondream likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have never been a fan of gravity bleeding. A little trick I have done for years is to put some grease around the base of the bleed nipple when you have cracked it open to prevent it sucking in air through the threads and either pressure bleed it or use the foot method would be my recommendation.

hondream likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never a fan of grease on nipples as that can suck into the cavity from the threads if there isn't a one way valve on the pipe.

I would rather suggest one inch of PTFE tape , take the bleed nipple out completely put the one inch of this plumbers tape on the threaded pitch, insert it and bleed away no contamination or air leaks.

ptfe-tape-261-p.

hondream likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Thick grease won't suck into the threads

hondream likes this.
  9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I did mine by only doing two at a time; the brake sequence on the 7th Generation Accord is 1 Offside front, 2 nearside front, 3 offside rear, 4 nearside rear. I simply jacked the front up and put the axle stands under and did the front two, put the tyres back on and did the same at the rear. I used the ezibleed which works well after you've cable-tied the black rubber hose to the clear tubing as it blows off.

I pushed through about 1.5l of genuine Honda brake fluid, it's made a big improvement to the braking.

Nels and hondream like this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Guys it does work I gravity bled my HR-V and you DO get all the crap out and air bubbles as well I have no issues with the brakes either as they were fine on its MOT.

hondream likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So can someone care you explain how with gravity bleeding, air in brake line gets to works its way all to the bleed nipple ?

hondream likes this.
  12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gravity !!! I suppose.... Where's @jimjams he's the facts man he should be able to explain.
    Me I'm just a trucker.

hondream likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Surely you need a good rate of flow to push the air out?

hondream likes this.
  14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    What if there's some air in the system? it won't want to budge and you'll be waiting for weeks :wait:

hondream likes this.
  15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I'm a bit of a trucker on this one too ...I've no idea at all, I always use the open/close method with an assistant doing the down/up

hondream likes this.
  16. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I suspect the flow of brake fluid will be zero to slow.
    But that chap in the video didn't seem to have that problem. Maybe it's because he has an old car.

All depends on the difference in height between the reservoir and the bleed screw (i guess)
    Would be interesting to know if anyone has actually tried it.

jimjams likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

See #10 I have tried it.

hondream likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would say its fine if you haven't done any work on your car but as soon as you start disconnecting brake lines and changing calipers etc this method is no longer viable.

hondream likes this.
  19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I agree it's fine if like me you only change the pads.Normally I would go for the two person pumping the pedal method but I had no one around at the time so thought I'd give it a go. I only had the car on wooden sleepers and used a length of bleed tube to ground level but the fluid, muck(and it did bring out some gunge) and the air did flow and expel the bubbles fairly quickly.

hondream likes this.
  20. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Sorry about that MickyB, that's what happens when you try to read these things on the smartphone :Smile:

- If you were replacing the brake fluid on just one wheel (just as an example), how long would you estimate that would take for the brake fluid to run clear?

A lot of good advice here, and as others have mentioned, it's probably not the preferred method on doing these things.