Introductions Greetings from a new 6th Generation. Owner! + Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by a18xoc, Monday 25th Mar, 2013.

1. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All!

Firstly, loving the site - I've found it interesting already to see what problems/mods all you guys have sorted, and its nice to see some genuine professional wisdom being shared without the infamous "trolls" a-lurking.
    I've recently bought a 1999 Accord 1.8 i-VTEC, and considering its age and milage, it runs like a dream! That said, I've had some starting issues recently - the engine turns but stalls immediately after its first "cycle". After several attempts, the engine will turn and then run at idle (about 1250-1500rpm cold, 600-900rpm warm). Odd right?
    I've changed the spark plugs, and will be braving the cold to do a fuel filter and oil filter change (needless to say oil too) later today, and I've had the battery tested also. I'll let you know the outcome, but if anyone else has encountered this problem, I'd appreciate a steer in the right direction.
    Also, not to push my luck in one post, but I've been considering some mods to the car and just wondered if any of you have any answers to these questions?

1) I'm considering lowering the car on Eibach Springs, but I am also considering getting some 17" OEM Honda wheels too. I believe the springs will lower the car by 35-40mm, is this going to make 17" wheels rub on the arches under heavy braking/full lock?

2) Ideally I'd like the car to look stock, so I'd like to get some 17" OEM wheels if possible. My Accord has 4 lugs (which I think is a 114 x 4 stud pattern???), does anyone know which wheels are likely to fit or should I look into a 5-lug conversion/universal wheels?

3) Final question - My friend is breaking his Civic Type-R and I'm tempted to install his brakes onto my car. Is this a simple caliper change, or am I again going to have to do a hub conversion to fit the right discs.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers guys!

2. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Firstly welcome to the club, Nice choice choosing a 6th Generation

Firstly the starting issue seems to me to sound like something to do with the ignition or immobiliser, I'm sure I've read on here, or on another forum that it can be a common fault on the 6th Generation the symptoms your describing, Ignition switch or something, sorry I can't be more specific

The wheels are indeed 4x114, I searched and found some 17" aftermarket alloys locally for mine, they were previously from a Nissan Almera, as that and the Primera share the same stud pattern as the 6th Generation, I think you will be fine with 17" alloys and a 40mm drop, long as you use 205 40 17 profile tyres

3. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks for your quick response.
    I have heard of this ignition problem as well, although forum-threads often don't distinguish between the ignition coil or the ignition switch :Frown: that said, would an earthing/ignition problem not allow the car to start at all? Mine starts and dies almost like its a fuel-starvation problem, but when its running I've got no fluctuation/hesitation in my revs to indicate a misfire or dying fuel pump. I'll investigate more and try to find the fault.
    Thanks for the advise on wheels, thats broadened my search - is it fair to assume that Toyota and Lexus may also share the same stud-pattern in some models?

Cheers all!

*Update; Oil Filter + Fuel Filter Change - still experiencing starting problems, but when started, in true Honda fashion; my idle goes "puuuuur" and my VTEC goes "BRAAAAP!"

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi a18xoc, welcome to AOC.

A few things that you can check (I'm assuming you have eliminated ignition issues) :-

Valve clearances
    Idle control valve
    Main engine relay
    Vacuum leak

5. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use this website, gives you all the info you need on fitting alloys, what will fit etc

Alloy Wheel Fitting Guide - FREE guide to correct alloy wheel fitting

also what SpeedyGee touched on, Its worth checking what he has advised, as far as I know the idle control valve can be cleaned with carb cleaner, and a symptom of Valve clearances needing reset are poor idle, and a knocking noise from the top end which subsides when the engine is warmed, I had mine done a couple of weeks ago, less than an hours job and the difference was really noticible, much smoother, better starting, smooth idle and more power

6. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, I'll have a look at valve clearances soon-as. I know your gonna kick me for asking the same question as everyone else, but I don't have the handbook for the car; Do you know what the valve clearances are for the intake and exhaust? Its a 1.8i v-tec, B18C3? built late '99, and I work in metric.
    Thanks

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How about we do a deal, I'll tell you what they are as long as you do a How To thread with plenty of pictures in it :Smile:

Always good to build up HowTo threads :Thumbup:

I'll check them on my PC at home tonight.

8. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Deal, cheers!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

a18xoc, did you type the engine code for your Accord correctly ? B18C3 ?

That's a Civic/Integra engine.

Can you double check please.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks for confirming that the engine number is actually F182BE a18xoc and thanks CJ for creating the detailed thread on how to do the valve clearances.

So we just need some pictures and real life experience adding to that thread .. over to you a18xoc :Smile:

BTW We've got a http://hondakarma.com/threads/1304/ thread. I'd be interested in knowing what your name means a18xoc :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  12. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I wish Eric made the assertion in his DIY my recommendations are not to best practices or remotely close to Honda's recommended practices.

If you remove the spark plugs will lower compression making it easier to turn the engine.however he fails to mention if you remove the plugs you have to take extra care not to drop anything within the open spark plug cavities. If the plugs are there you can save any accidental drops.

If you drop a small nut you will damage the valves when the engine starts !! Eric is helpful to a lot or people but he also give a lot of wrong self confidence and belief to people where their skills is not there. using the top pulley and marks is the best way to get your individual cylinders to recommended and known practices and not some dude down in the pub told me over a pint .

Ichiban likes this.
  14. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers everyone. Ill be doing the valves this weekend as I'm back to work this week, but ill be sure to upload some photos.
    Speedy; do you happen to know if that engine appears in any other honda models? Or is it unique to the accord?

15. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any joy with the valve clearance buddy?

17. a18xoc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Didn't do valves myself in the end. Took it to Honda to have ignition problem checked out and I mentioned the valves - they adjusted them at the same time. An hours labour charge and the issue's seems solved :Smile: