General Grinding noise and steering wheel judder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by K24 CL9 GUY, Saturday 14th Mar, 2015.

1. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Hey peeps could do with some suggestions as confused on what is causing my issues.....

If I brake I get a squeak from the front left and if driving slowly with the window down can hear it squeaking every rotation not all the way round with no breaks applied?
    I recently replaced the discs so can't be warped discs unless have killed them already :-S
    As well as this get judder in the steering wheel quite badly once over like 50 so thought perhaps the caliper had sized so causing both the issues but when had my new tyres put on got them to check for me and said couldn't see anything wrong? When the wheel was off the guy at the garage rotated the front left disc and had no issues with it? Have had the wheels balanced twice since having the new tyres put on a week n half ago and still have judder..... What is going on??? Any suggestions would be appreciated, driveshaft possibly?
    Let me know peeps as want this solved ASAP as doesn't feel safe :-/

2. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

When the wheels were off I also had a good look at all the bushes, tie rod ends and drop link arms etc and from their condition am thinking should replace the lot? Have a look at the pics and let me know if I'm just being over kill but I think would benefit massively if replace all with new before but on a set of coilovers?
    DSC_0465.JPG
    DSC_0466.JPG
    DSC_0467.JPG
    DSC_0468.JPG
    DSC_0469.JPG
    DSC_0470.JPG

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    When did you replace the discs? That offside rear one looks like it has marks of fatigue on it already. That hub assembly looks nice and clean too - has that recently been changed?

Squeaking, suspension wise, is normally bushes, check your front compliance bushes on the lower control arms, they like going. Driveshafts on the petrols don't go from what I understand. Squeaking on the brakes could be just a bit of contaimination if they don't normally do it - a nice hard braking session should sort that. How hard are you on your brakes normally? They can warp if you are hard on them constantly.

Does it judder only under acceleration? Does it judder regardless of being in gear or not. If you are doing 50 and knock it into neutral, does it still judder? It sounds like wheel balancing to me, but as you say, you have already had them checked twice. Do you get any other knocking sounds?

4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I'm sure some of the other more knowledgeable folks here will comment, but I had an unidentifiable judder for a while that couldn't be tracked down only under acceleration and at speed. Only after ripping the outside CV boot was a small imperfection in one of the bearing runs was found. Replaced the joint and all was smooth.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  5. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

DSC_0463.JPG
    This is the one in question (front left) discs on front were replaced 4 months ago but ones on back are nearly ten months old now and am going to uprate dics and pads on back soon as are just standard.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hhhmm this might be worth a look as have found not been quite right for a while but have had many people look at it and never find anything wrong?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hhhmm this might be worth a look as have found not been quite right for a while but have had many people look at it and never find anything wrong?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I haven't replaced the hubs so maybe the owner previously had as have only owned for like year and half.

There is no queak from suspension, it's defo something that rotates when the wheel goes round as once every rotation so perhaps bearings a high possibility?

I do use the brakes alot to be fair as nail it around alot. They had a heavy workout the other weekend while testing the flashed ECU and did jet wash it afterwards and brakes bubbled and steamed which might not have been a good idea I did think to myself at the time, could this have caused them to warp possibly?

6. Nighthawk Guest

Putting cold water on any hot metal is a virtual guarenteed way of making any metal warp.

If it was my car, I would personally jack up the entire front of the car, and rotate the wheels by hand and see if I can hear anything. I would then take the wheel off, and turn the discs by hand. You will be able to feel if they are warped as they connect with the pads and then break free of them again. You have slotted discs, best to let them cool naturally and not spray cold water onto them.

7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Will need to check these things but it does judder while coasting aswel as under accelleration I think but need to check. Will try the knocking it out of gear at 50 aswel as doing a hard braking session to see if helps tomorrow if get a chance.

There are no other knocking noises mate.

8. Nighthawk Guest

When you brake gently, can you feel the peddle throbbing under your foot? Thats a great way of seeing if you warped your discs or not.

9. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes I thought was a bad move not letting them cool down as with anything extream hot then cold is never good but was a lovely day and had spent all day tearing about testing the ECU so she deserved a sponge bath after a hard day but should have waited a bit first clearly.... To keen to clean :Smile:

As I said I had the guy check this while was jacked up when had tyres changed and seemed to rotate fine? There is clearly something not right so worth another look plus might take it somewhere else to have balance done and check at same time. Is there such a thing as a fine tune/no tolerance balance?

10. Nighthawk Guest

I know our Accords are really fussy when it comes to alignment, but wheel balancing should be quite straight forward.

I would check the discs yourself mate (sorry, I don't trust garages). There is a natural amount of resitance to the wheel when you turn it by hand with the car jacked up, but if it is warped, you will feel more resistance, and then nothing, then the resistance again. You will also hear it gently connecting. Might not be that at all, might be something completely different, but its an easy one to check and eliminate

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  11. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Will need to check this also as can't say I have noticed or probably even payed attention to this.

12. Nighthawk Guest

Warped discs do feel really disconcerting when you drive - really gives the feeling that your brakes arent effective and takes confidence away in them.

When I got my accord, the discs were knackered - vibrated like mad under any sort of braking, it feels like a pulsing sensation under your foot if they are midly warped, these were vibrating - thankfully the sale rep was an idiot and didnt know the first thing about cars so I managed to blag an extra grand of the price of the car and then replaced all discs and pads myself for around 200 quid.

SpeedyGee and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  13. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Perhaps I should take another trip to @SpeedyGee s gaff to put my mind at rest or could pop up to you if free at some point as would be nice to get some reassurance from someone with knowledge and experience as I know very little.

I'm sure @SpeedyGee would like another test drive to see the difference since the typhoon and ECU plus will get to hear Roobix :Tongue:

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Struggling to get time for a breather these days mate. Don't think I will have chance in the coming week for sure.

Do you still the test ECU or have you bought it ?

15. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

No worries mate how you getting on with DDs car, any progress? Yeah I had it done mate as was a large power gain for not alot of money and was quick and easy to sort out. Will go tsx ECU and Flashpro route in the end so can have mapped once put cams in etc but keeps me happy for now so can concentrate on servicing, handling and visual for a bit :Smile:

16. Nighthawk Guest

@K24 CL9 GUY - you are welcome to come up to me mate, I am rather anal about people coming to my house (bad experiences in the past), but we can meet somewhere local. The problem with doing it on Sunday is that if you need any parts, its hard to get those today. Its a long way to come and say, yes/no, its warped and then not be able to do anything about it if that makes sense.

But I am free today if you want me to take a look at it for you.

17. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

What area are you in mate? I couldn't make it today as am cooking for three mum's but am up for arranging for another time when you are free again.
    As for getting the parts on the day I would be happy enough for you just to diagnose what the issues were so could buy the parts on pay day.
    I get paid on 26th so if could meet you before then could write a list of what I need to get and buy the lot in one go.

18. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

So this was back in March so update for you...... The judder / wheel wobble got worse and in the end was horrendous so have replaced the driveshafts and has gone although the rotational squeak is still there which I thought may have been caused by the dodgy shafts? @Nighthawk you still busy with DIY as will help you if can look at my car some time lol :Smile:

19. Nighthawk Guest

I am mate till end of the month. This month is a busy one for me

We can make a plan next month if you like

20. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

That would be brilliant mate when ever your free n think just minor things now as now changed driveshafts doesn't feel like wheels are going to fall off :Smile: