ICE & HFT Grom Audio Kits

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Monday 28th Dec, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had some Amazon vouchers for xmas and I was going to buy a grom audio kit for my Accord... but I'm a little confused as to which one.

There's this one... which was the one I thought of getting..,

But then I thought I might want bluetooth as well, as mine a PFL model without HFT.. so found this one...

Now am I right in thinking that the second one is a stand alone unit and not an add on... Because it's £7 cheaper and appears to do the same thing over blutooth as the first one does... but lacks any USB ports by the look of it.

If I'm honest, I value the music streaming side of over the phone side... not quite sure how you can control and dial calls from the steering controls and it looks like the adapter cable for a honda is extra.

I certainly can't afford both, and I can't go for an x-car link because I have an android phone and they don't do them... which is a massive lost opportunity in my book. So I might as well got for a Parrot kit like this one.

I've got £200 to spend in total, but I was hoping that I'd have enough this dashcam too out of that...

2. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I got this one (
    ) with the bluetooth add on (GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for select GROM kits, 10FT and the 3.5mm jack add on (AUX MiniDin to 3.5mm audio cable, 5FT

Trust me, bluetooth audio quality is pretty horrible. It clips, and is highly compressed. Plug in via USB is the best bet for decent sound, and the bluetooth add on kit allows you to do seamless phone calls that nicely fade-in/out playing music. GROM support is great - they'll fix issues within a month in firmware if you find a bug / problem.

Heckler likes this.
  3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, so there's a simple dongle that plugs into the USB version... which is the one I prefer to be honest. I did a search and found it on amazon for £39.99 which takes the price to around £155 for both. I'm sure I can chip in the extra £20 to cover the dashcam, and install everything at the same time so I only pull the dash one.

I'll keep looking for better prices though, but as I only have amazon vouchers... I can't exactly buy it elsewhere. :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @speeding_ant how long is the cable with the BT dongle, and how good is the mic on it.... I'd be looking to route the cable up and around the A pillar so the mic sits near the rearview mirror (where I plan on mounting the dashcam)... Where would the little antenna for the BT be placed?

4. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Mic is decent. I mounted mine to the left on the steering column, mainly to avoid pulling panels. Works well there, and it's not obvious when looking around the cabin. Cable is long enough to reach A pillar if you want it there. Antenna for BT can sit wherever, it's not a long cable. Just mount it closest as possible to the centre console, without it being in the way of all the other cables. There are a lot of cables.

Heckler likes this.
  5. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Grom recommends to install it to the mirror area (to avoid any unwanted noises like those close to the side windows areas).

Heckler likes this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I noticed that on the basic version of the accord, there is a sunglasses box above the sunroof controls and interior lights... but there isn't on the EX model I have, instead there are what look like little vents. Does anyone know what these are for, and would mounting the mic inside one of those be worth doing, as it would completely hide it.

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Having had mine apart today I am happy to confirm that this is the location of the alarm motion sensors

Heckler likes this.
  8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for that... I'll leave them well along then... If I get the dashcam, I can run all the cables at the same time.

9. tals Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Miles Romsey
    I'm not sure if it is my ears but I have been using a bluetooth -> fm transmitter for over a year and the quality was acceptable. I have just put in an xcarlink and the quality is as good as I would hope. I stream all my music/podcasts/radio through the phones bluetooth - not had any clipping and as I said quality is fine. Used to also have the same in the house till I have moved to cobblestones in the house.

10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@speeding_ant how are you getting on using the blutooth side of the grom kit... Can you control incoming calls from the steering wheel controls as it suggests on the site.... I'd also be interested in how the 'OK Google' function works, because with the phone mounted on the dash and a little road noise... it's rather hit and miss. It's very nice to be able to tell the phone to call a contact or send a text... but not when the phones mic isn't picking up your speech properly.

11. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Not sure about the 'OK Google' function, but the steering wheel controls etc work.

12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As some one mentioned that the charger for the dashcam was a bit cheap and broke easily.. and because I already have a twin USB charger plugged into mine.... I'd like to add a permanent feed to the dash cam and wire it into the ignition circuit.

So I think I'll be needing a 5v fused lead... or will I need a 12v one?

13. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Presuming if it's USB powered then you'll be talking about 5v. Whatever 5v lead you'll be tapping from should already be fused, so perhaps use a 5v zener diode to protect the circuit from higher voltages.

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lost me there... I've tried searching amazon for a 5v fused one and it's not bringing up anything remotely connected to what I want... ebay is doing the same thing... So I assume that I'm using the wrong search terms.

It appears to be 5v powered.

15. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I'm presuming you're wanting to wire your dash cam power permanently? You won't need a charger if it's a 5v device, you'll just need to split off a 5v power source from the car. A 5v zener diode in the circuit (before the power connects to the dash cam) will prevent voltages over 5v from reaching the dash cam, protecting it from voltage surges. You may need to solder the power connection to the dash cam, depending on what connectors it might have on it.

16. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes I would be looking to wire it in permanently... It appears to be powered by a micro USB... but could be a mini USB... hard to tell from the pics.... Have a look and see what you think

To be honest, I don't want to mess around soldering and so forth... I'd much prefer to buy something made up that can simply be spliced into the suitable wiring...

OR

I have a twin USB socket already fitted to charge my phone, so if it's a micro USB cable, I have some spares and can route one round to plug into that... wiring would at least be hidden. I just need to check that the one I have supplies the right amp/volts.

EDIT... mine does 2.1amps on port 1 and 1amp on port 2.

17. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I'm sure an auto electrician would be able to do something pretty quickly. It looks like mini USB to me. You can simply rip open a mini USB cable, then take the power + / - cables and attach them to the car 5v supply. That would at least hide the USB side of things at the charger end, and still allow you to easily detach the camera if you wish.

Otherwise, the only other option is to use the charger you already have, and route the USB cable. But, just saying, at that point you're only a small step away from having it all nicely tidied away! See pic for example.

FYI your camera definitely takes 5v. It will most likely have a requirement of less than 1amp to run, and will only draw what it requires.

USB-wiring.

Heckler likes this.
  18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have been procrastinating about buying the grom kit... I had £200 in amazon vouchers to spend, and was looking for the best deals... In the end I found that buying both the main unit and BT dongle direct from grom was £20 cheaper... So I've done that as I've saved loads of money this month... Had money left over from xmas because I was away for a week helping out the folks... all that lovely food and drink provided. Not having to heat the house, or pay for electricity for 8 days... and no car use going back and forth (50m round trip)... Then I had £15 in Morrisons vouchers to spend, £35 in leftover tesco vouchers to spend, and I've got £22 on my nectar card to spend at Sainsbury... So that's about half of my food shopping covered for the month... Got enough diesel to see me through to the end of the month which saves me another £50... Which means I can afford to pay cash for the grom kit and BT dongle... and still have £200 amazon vouchers left.

Going to look out a better dashcam, throw in a HID kit as they're only about £20 now, get a bedside stand/charger for my phone to use as a clock/alarm, some dehumidifier bags for the car, need some AAA rechargeable batteries for the house phones... and I'll find out some other bits and bobs to finish it off.

So if anyone has recommendations for a decent dashcam that can be placed almost out of sight behind the mirror.... or if anyone can suggest a rear view mirror that auto dims (because it did on my old car and I really miss that feature).

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Bump.

Can anyone give suggestions for dashcams for @Heckler ?

Heckler likes this.
  20. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Been discussing this in the dashcam thread this morning, and I think I've decided on the Mini 806, with polarising filter and hardwire kit for £82