ICE & HFT GromAudio USB2 HON1 - Android Install.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rhardley, Thursday 21st Feb, 2013.

1. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    mhans_diff53 and Ichiban like this.
  2. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

looking forward to read this.. :Smile:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice one .. I've got a Grom (and an Android phone). Looking forward to your update :Smile: :Thumbup:

I've been pondering on getting the Android phone displaying on the Honda Sat Nav screen. I've had PC displayin on there previously. This might kick me into actually getting on with it

4. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    GROMAudio USB2 Part 2...

Make/Model : Honda Accord
    Flavour : 2.2 I-CDTI Executive
    Year : 2004
    Audio : Factory SatNav + 6 CD Changer
    Android : Samsung Galaxy S2

I bought the GROMAudio USB HON1, because of its ability to use/control both USB and an Android Device.
    Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter
    http://gromaudio.com/downloads/GROM-USB.pdf

They’re a Canadian company, and will ship worldwide, however there are a couple of sources in the UK, including EBay and Amazon, but after a couple of helpful email responses from Carputer-Shop, iPod Car Kits, Cd Changer, Ipod Controller, USB car kit, Aux Adapters I was more than happy to put the business their way.

GROMAudio HON1
    Honda - USB Android iPod Bluetooth kit [Grom-USB-HON] : Carputer-Shop | iPod Car Kits | Aux Adapters

SG1 – The MiniDin to MicroUSB – Samsung Galaxy S/2 Cable.
    Samsung Galaxy S and S2 in car charge and play cable [SG1] : Carputer-Shop | iPod Car Kits | Aux Adapters

USB – Male to Female 50cm Extension – Picked up off EBay for less than a quid.

Install time : approx 40 minutes in a lunchtime... + a couple of hours prior research

[*WARNING*] Prolonged periods of time with the key in and engine off will drain the battery, In the case of the Diesel the proLONGed appears to not be that long (30-40 Minutes)

At the time of writing this: The unit is still not in its permanent home, its currently sat in the cubby below the DVD drive, it will eventually get stuck on the top on the DVD drive behind the dash with the cables routed through a (as of yet not drilled) hole into the Cubby under the DVD.

I started on the USB Stick. Following the advice given, I set up the files in folders numbered 1 to X (as each folder will be picked up as a different disc) and dropped mp3 tracks directly into the directory, you can set these folders up to be playlists, albums, artists.. At present I’ve added 10 and it handles them properly. One problem I did notice, as its standard Folder/File setup, depending on the names of the files you can have problems with clashing.. I had one album where both CDs had the same track titles ie Track 1.mp3, Track 2.mp3, so trying to add both CDs produced the old Copy/Replace/Ignore error.

1 – Rock Playlist
    Rock.mp3
    Rock1.mp3

2 – Easy Listening
    Easy.mp3
    Easy1.mp3

3 – Black Sabbath Best of
    Changes.mp3
    Paranoid.mp3

Plug in the USB Stick
    Set stereo to CD Changer, you’ll hear a strange little voice saying A.U.X, USB or IPOD
    Press Next >> and it’ll skip to the next ‘mode’
    keep skipping till she says USB
    in one second the display returns to 01-01 and Rock.mp3 will start playing.

Disc 2 is Folder 2
    Disc 3 is Folder 3

My understanding is, if you named your folders A, B and C, Disc 1 would be A etc..

So far, so good, the sound quality is great, and it’s a welcome addition for someone who’s CDs are all boxed up in the loft.

Android and AALinq.

First thing to note, and this was disappointing for me, the SG1 Mini Din to Android cable is Play and Charge ONLY, with all control remaining at the Android Device, and not on the headunit or steering wheel.

Download AALinq (propriety GROM developed App) from the google play store.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gromaudio.aalinq

Plug in the USB to Micro USB cable (Supplied with the GROM device)

Asks if you want to Launch AALINQ

ADD SCREENSHOT HERE.

Playlists are treated as ‘Discs’, the controls are simple enough, the app does lack refinement, it’s very ‘in your face’.

Flicking through the reviews tells a story of woe, hastily released with many bugs, but relatively quick turn around and fresh updates. Generally the app scores quite well with 5* being the ‘mode’ average..

ADD SCREENSHOTS HERE.

Conclusion
    Overall, I can plug my S2 in, I can play my own tunes, I can play tunes off a USB Stick...
    Do I know what song is playing... well... not really.. But I could look at my phone, I could add a cradle to make it easier to view.

Expectations were high, and they’ve not entirely been met.. but that doesn’t stop me being happy with the GROMAUDIO USB2 HON1.

No Pressure, but if Speedy can get the screen display resolved :Thumbup:, I’ll be one very happy bunny.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good going Rob but no pictures :Sobbing:

6. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    When I'm not in work, I'll have a tinker and see about adding pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I think I am going to be disappointed with :Sobbing: is the ability (or lack of) to output to the SatNav Screen, I'm reading that this is only possible with headunits that are XM compatible, and these weren't factory fitted till post 2006

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah that's annoying. I managed to hack a PC to display on there

carpc.

had to use a scan converter to convert from VGA to RGBs then inject that into the wires going to the screen.

I'm not sure about getting the Android displying on there yet. Need to have a think about that.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go my friend, you set me a challenge and I got to work on it right after coming home from work :Smile:

Samsung Galaxy S3 displayed on Honda Sat Nav screen :Happy:

2013-02-26 18.03.28-1.

Video being played

2013-02-26 18.03.28.

How do you like that ? :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 26th Feb, 2013
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Apple fan making a quick retreat from this thread don't want to be stoned to death!

Good effort chaps :GoodJob:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't do Apple bashing or any other type of bashing :Smile:

Each to his own. I have an work iPhone, never touch it unless it rings Lol

Android has improved leaps and bounds since it first came out but I always liked it right from the beginning. I knew it had plenty of potential to improve.

Newer Androids run really slick.

If you don't like Androids and prefer iPhones or Blackberries or Windows Phone or whatever else, then fair play that's your choice.

Anyway my next plan is to get some control of the phone going from the car.

Opps don't mean to hog your thread Rob, let me know if you want me to start my own :Smile:

rhardley likes this.
  10. Pete R Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cambs
    Nice work, I'd also like to hook upa USB stick or Android phone, but would definately want the info displayed on satnav screen. Do you know how you can tell if a headunit is XM compatible? I have a very early (registered 01/01/2006) facelift model.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

My car is a 2004 preface lift.

12. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire
    I believe its to do with the ability to display track name type Text in the display rather than just CD01-02 etc, likelihood is it might have an XM Button, honest answer is... I tried in vain but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I did however get a mail back from Dmitry at Grom Support to say that Sat Emulation was only possible in the US, so I'm not 100% sure where that leaves this little project/challenge.

and Speedy - Don't worry about hogging the thread, if you're assisting in achieving my goal, when all hope seemed to be fading, feel free to dive in..

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Rob, so what your more interested in is displaying track information on the LCD screen, right ?

Whereas I am after is displaying the whole Android screen on Sat Nav screen and as the next stage get some control of the Android from the controls on the car.

14. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire

Speedy, my first target is being able to identify the Track/Artist, however..

If it were possible to view the Android display, that would by default show the Track/Artist anyway and therefore achieve my target, so being able to take control of the phone with the headunit would be:-
    a) Awesome
    and
    b) Over and above my expectations.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Well I've demonstrated thats its possible to display the Android screen on the Sat Nav screen.

Although its a convaluted solution. Android -> HDMI -> VGA -> RGB with separate sync and then tap that into Sat Nav screen. So that's three boxes just to convert the signal.

However, I don't think theres anything out there that will get u from HDMI to RGB w/csych in one box.

So the above solution is fine for me. For others its probably not plug and play enough as it involves cutting into the Sat Nav wiring and three different boxes.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've just found a galaxy S3 to vga out box.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009UOQS94

So that could cut out one of the device from the chain.

17. rhardley Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob Cheshire

:GoodJob:

Quite frankly, even just reading that terrified me.. Its well outside my comfort zone.

I'm thinking that my best option, based on the screensize of the S2 anyway, is to get a suitable cradle/mount and face minor defeat.

I've won enough battles in this war... I can accept one minor defeat.

Thanks for all the input.
    Rob

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes you've done well Rob.

You also got me motivated to do what had I been meaning to do for ages and ages.

I'm one step closer than I was before, the display is sorted and I've also ordered some bits and bobs for the next phase, so on a roll , thanks Rob :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Rob, how did you get in touch with Grom Support. I tried sending them a message via that Support contact page but the page isnt working. It keeps saying wrong security code entered whereas there is actually no where to enter a security code.

I need to ask them how I capture commands coming from the GROM module.