Detailing Gtechniq G1

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Nighthawk, Wednesday 22nd Oct, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, decided to give this stuff a go. Its like Rain X but so much better. Got a life on your windscreen of around 12 months and is applied in two stages. The first stage, clean yr windscreen so it is spotless (I clayed mine and then used IPA on it), then apply 3 coats of G1 to it, leaving around 10 minutes between each coat for it to haze. Once the final coat is on, apply the G2 bottle (they come together as a pack) which removes the haze and acts as a hardner.

I have used RainX in the past - found it terrible - used to streak the blades, cause they to judder etc. Hated it. This stuff is just fantastic, no juddering at all when you do want to use them, no streaking etc.

I am going to apply another layer later I think - here is a quick video showing how it flies off the windscreen when I hit 40mph, and when I hit national speed limit (after I overtake the white Mazda CX-5). It was raining lightly, a gentle drizzle really. At 70, it virtually clears the windscreen for you - I am impressed.

Btw, I was testing out my newly installed Xcarlink so you may want to turn your speakers down before you play the video. A bit of 80s rock going on right there.

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd Oct, 2014
    legend-ary likes this.
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Very good quality video (image not the music) :Drums:

3. Nighthawk Guest

Awww come on - a bit of 80s rock on a rainy Wednesday afternoon.....gotta cheer myself up somehow

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The video isn't working for me. :Aghast:
    "This video has been removed by the user"

5. Nighthawk Guest

try again mate - slight glitch - I've just reuploaded it

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Great video. :Smile:
    No comment on the sound track :crazyeyes:

7. Nighthawk Guest

:Drums:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Baaaalls to the waaaalls!

The product itself looks to be working really well, I might have to try some of this myself.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That looks quite impressive, I also hate the rainbow effect smearing that you get with RainX.

Might give this product a try sometime, although I've got loads of RainX left :sweating:

10. Nighthawk Guest

When I have a drive in the rain again, supposed to be raining tomorrow, il see if I can get better footage, hopefully heavier rainfull - il try not to be playing 80s rock next time....

Speedy - no smearing whatsoever

11. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    I've been using Gtechniq G5, (formerly called G3) for a couple of yrs now. Its a great rain repellent. G1 is a bit more fussy to apply and remove but durabilty is longer than G5

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Ok, here is a clip of this stuff when the going gets tough.

Motorway speeds, hammering it down on the M6 on the way back from Scotland, can hear it hitting the windscreen. I put the wipers on to show firstly - how hard it was raining and how ineffective they actually were at clearing at that speed, and secondly, to show that there is NO smearing whatsoever or squeaking or whatever. No balls to the walls tune this time, but the kids windows were open a bit to let some air in.

You even hear me at the end telling the missus how much better the tyres are than the Bridgestones in the wet weather (completely coincidental that by the way at this stage of the video). Loads of standing water, they just held on and performed beautifully - different topic, but I am really impressed with those tyres. In standing water, they put the Bridgestones to shame.

Who can spot her "Guess how interested I am about tyres" Hmmm response.... lol

At around the 27 to 30 sec mark, I get close enough to the little C1 in the centre lane and the windscreen just clears quicker as the spray hits but never once obstructs my view. Really great when passing lorries. Does it again as I approach the megane in the fast lane.

1080p video...

Last edited: Wednesday 29th Oct, 2014
    Superman001 likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It makes it look like you are going warp speed Lol

Looks like it's doing a good job.

Nighthawk and Nels like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Looks really good. I'm impressed.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. Nighthawk Guest

One issue I found with it - after about 10 minutes of driving like this, they started to lose their effectiveness a bit - figured out it was because the windscreen was starting to get dirty and therefore the dirt was creating a barrier. One quick wipe of the wipers and it was back to normal again.

Really impressed, drove most of the time around without any wipers on. It is supposed to help prevent frost on the windscreen as well - I guess we shall see in a few months.

In short, I would definetely recommend this stuff, it really is good. Expensive, but good.

16. Nighthawk Guest

After finishing work at silly o'clock this morning, I was pleasantly surpised to see that whilst there was frost on the windscreen, it wiped off with my finger. Cars next to me were frosted the same amount and it was caked on nice and solid. My frost just literally wiped off with my finger, although a few very small patches were a bit more stubborn but even then came off without any issues.

A few months down the line since putting this stuff on and I am really seriously impressed with it. It still filters rain the same way as when I first applied it. It has resisted numerous car washes, glass cleaner etc and then still prevents the frost from bonding to the screen - I imagine its due to the windscreen slippery surface and lack of friction.

It is expensive, but I will definetely be putting more on when this stuff wears off - its supposed to last 12 months under normal conditions (whatever they define as normal as I have no idea), but so far, 3 months in, its still going strong.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm convinced! Will be on my next order from Elite Car Care...

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

It is a bit awkward to apply, need to clay the windows first, make sure there are no specks of dirt or anything on them, give the windows a good rub down with some spirits (I used IPA) then apply 3-5 coats of the clearcoat itself in small circular motions overlapping the adjacent pass by around 50%. Apply one full coat, then wait around 5-10 mins, start the 2nd coat and keep going. You don't want to leave it too long before applying any subsequent coats as the previous coat can start to harden to the point where the subsequent coats don't stick. Apply to early, and you just smear the previous coat so it takes a bit of getting used to. Took me a few attempts to work out in the temperature I was applying it in how long to wait. Then use the residue remover to lightly remove the white residue and you are done. I did 3 coats on the windscreen and 1 coat on all other windows, including the back.

Unless I was putting it on incorrectly - hopefully @wanner69 will be able to advise me further if I have done so.

Admittedly, frost did form on the back windscreen of the car which was alot more solid, although not quite as solid as the car next to mine but wasnt far off, but thats why we have rear windscreen demisters, and as I park in reverse all the time, it makes no difference to me.

Stuff goes a long way @FirstHonda - got 15ml kit, cost around 25 quid I think it was, and I still have half left.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I may go for the G5, given comments about application. I clean my car often enough for durability not to be a huge issue!

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Guest

This was quite interesting - comparing the two products G1 and G5 - basically, no real differences other than ease of applying G5 and durability

FirstHonda likes this.