General Gutted on two counts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Sunday 27th Oct, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Firstly, today a BMW 320 and I were both coming off a roundabout and onto a long straight. He was a car length ahead at the start and he floored it so I felt like some fun and did the same. I only just managed to creep past him :Blushing: I'm guessing he had the higher output 320 which I think is up in the 170 BHP region and similar torque.

Secondly, I may be giving away my Accord :Sobbing: Long story short, my bro is getting married In Italy and it's costing my parents a lot of money and their current 6th Generation Accord requires replacing but they don't have the funds at the moment. They've helped me in the past many times with cars etc and as the Accord is my dad's favorite car I've decided to give it to them. This will save the hassle of them buying a used car and risking getting a lemon as they know my car is sound whilst also giving me peace of mind that my 2yo son is in a safe and reliable car when out with them.

Now the question is, what do I get next? Taking onto account the first part and I know this isn't what you will want to hear but I'm a little tempted to try a Mazda 6 MPS as like the 2.4 Accord it's quite subtle, reliable and a decent size but has a fair bit more power, AWD with some extra possibilities. :Unknown:

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I do like the Mazda 6 a friend of mine has one. His only gripe, and it is a big one, is the extremely thin paint work. He actually said tha if he'd have known how bad it was he wouldn't have bought it. Because it's so thin it doesn't absorb impacts from things like stones. The front of his car was covered in chips, every one of them also took the primer off as well as the paint so went straight down to bare metal. In the end he had to get the entire front of his car up the the wind screen resprayed.

Other than that I was very taken by them as well, they do look nice and have a lot of kit.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've owned a couple of Mazda 6's and personally with hind sight I wonder why I opted for them instead of an Accord. The Accord is a much more refined car with higher build quality.
    If you look at a Mazda 6 example that has done say 100k miles, inside it looks all worn out and the engine won't sound the best. You won't see me going back to a Mazda 6.

The MPS is a quick car though.

On the MPS watch out for whinning diff, heavy clutch, gearbox issues and perhaps other things which I can't remember (have looked into them previously... again I don't know why Lol)

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers for the feedback guys, I guess the paint I'd be used to as the paint on my Accord seems very thin also, so long as it doesn't rust! lol

The main things I've came across with the MPS is the turbo seals (I believe it's a fairly old tech and small sized turbo they used), the diff (as mentioned above) and I believe some of them may have suffered rust (although easy to check for this). I've also heard that some parts of the stock suspension aren't quite up to the job of spirited driving and could do with upgrading. I guess all cars can have their problems though, my clutch release is becoming pretty bad now and damn annoying due to it not being a quick fix, although I'm not sure if it will actually effect anything or fail?

The AWD would be nice, I believe it's not a perfect system and there is a slight delay with response but I've seen some impressive videos of it in action. I've read the gearbox has rifle precision as it's taken from the MX5 and although I'm sure there'll be a few abused cars out there I don't think they attract the same type of drivers as something like the Focus ST etc.

It's all up for debate at the moment to be honest but a definite is my giving my car to them as I don't want them to have to worry about major repairs, breakdowns etc at this stage in their life. I'm happy to take that worry on myself.

Any thoughts are welcome :Smile:

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Depending what budget you have but 8th Generation Accord is superb car and well worth buying.
    Can't comment on Mazda, never driven one.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    An 8th Generation will be too much I don't tend to spend a lot on a car due to the depreciation suffered. Although Accords do hold their value better if your car gets written off you never get what it's really worth (a pet hate of mine with insurance companies). Most my greens go into the house, it's an inherited attitude adopted from my parents lol

Budget is about £4-5K and I'm happy to travel as far as Manchester-ish. Manual and saloon as I need the security if provides. I prefer black leather seats. Other than another Accord or the MPS I can't think of anything that is in this price bracket, offers decent performance and is reliable. Although the extra performance (especially the torque) of the MPS is swinging it a little as it's also a fully loaded car and can be had for similar money not to mention the remap options.

Are there any alternatives to consider or am I missing any Honda's which have similar specs as the MPS?

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What about the Lexus IS range?

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I did have a look at them but I'm not a fan of auto boxes to be honest and the only one that would be worth getting is the 3.0 1st Generation which is going to be 2005 or older but for the performance output it's pretty poor MPG. I had a quick look at they are quite high mileage.

There really doesn't seem to be much out there to compete with the Accord.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How about a KB1 Legend ?

10. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was never a fan of auto box but my wife is only able to drive auto, that's when I decided that the advantages outweighed manual for our style of driving :Whistle: she even drove my 4.2 jag years ago :Thumbup:

Last edited: Monday 28th Oct, 2013
  11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8.7 seconds .. that'll be slower than the Accord he has at the moment.

13. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How about Subaru Impreza WRX STi?
    Lots of power in that.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My mistake. For some reason I thought he'd got a diesel.

If size doesnt matter and you want a quick car thats fun, cheap and reliable you could try one of these. My brother has the newer ralliart version and my dad has the CZT. Both have the same engine and very easy to tune.

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 T Ralliart 5dr Full MD History. One Owner

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 CZT Black Hawk 3dr Private Plate Included

Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 CZT 3dr FANTASTIC HOT HATCH!!

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers guys. The Subaru is a little to unrefined and perhaps attention drawing if you know what I mean and the colt is too small. But I had forgot about SAAB and I believe they are back in production also! A little wary due To GM interference, I rate Ford much higher (involvement with Mazda) but I'm sure I read that the SAAB engineers kept defying GM and in particular the higher spec models are of a better build quality. I do feel SAAB's can be over priced but maybe they are better now.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Gutted for you Graham, but you are doing it for the family.

hoe about a EP3 4-5K you can get a great like car.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Worse case happens at least I'm keeping the car in the family and I know my dad will love driving it! The type-r did cross my mind but is a little small and i prefer the extra strength from the rear that a saloon provides. I've been rear ended before by a van whilst I was stationary in a hatch and it wasn't pretty lol

Been looking at the SAAB's in more detail, the 2.0T Aero offers almost as good performance as the 2.8 but with far better economy and much lower emissions. I've always loved the look of the Aeros but I do worry about quality. I like how SAAB is setup for overtaking performance rather than 0-60mph stuff.

So far,

Honda Accord: refinement and reliability but lacks that extra bit punch. Limited ability to significantly improve performance without spending a fortune. Still quite expensive for lower mileage top spec. Less likely to have been abused by young drivers.

Mazda 6 MPS: good write ups, strong performance whilst discreet. Stock rear diff mounts not very good and costly to replace. Turbo seals can fail if wrong oil or poor servicing and VVT + timing chain issues are common and expensive. More likely to have been thrashed so could be hard to find a good one.

SAAB 2.0T: Write ups claim excellent refinement and quiet cabin. Good spec with excellent safely features. Strong performance. Reliability issues trend to be with the diesels but can be hit or miss with the petrols. Shortage of parts despite starting up again is worrying. Unlikely to have been a boy racer car. 6 speed gear box not meant to be very good.

The Mazda 6 is still tempting but the diff mounts, VVT and timing chain issues could leave me with £1,600+ of repair work for things that really should not be a problem from a company such as Mazda so disappointing. I believe later models have sorted the problem and there may have been a recall.

The SAAB would seem like the most sensible alternative so far.

Last edited: Wednesday 30th Oct, 2013
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Sounds like you need to become a member of the relevant SAAB forum and start asking questions! May be nice to be the "newbie" again...:Smile: and to see if they are as helpful / friendly as Honda owners...

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Arctic, if you love your Accord and are just wanting more power. Grab an Accord Euro-R from Ireland (220bhp), or do what I'm slowly doing and modifying bit by bit. I'm going to get my girl to 300bhp eventually.

You check out what others are doing worldwide, there's CL9's running 700bhp. Incidentally I was also considering a Mazda 6 before I settled on my Accord, thing is they're not exactly sleek, or near half as refined in general.