Electrical & Lights H1 Bulb Connections

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dansime, Thursday 21st Mar, 2013.

1. dansime Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Hi all,

Bit of a nightmare with lights at the moment and I will be very grateful for any assistance please.

I've had my 2003 Type-S Accord for nearly five years. It has therefore been through a few MOTs. It appears to have HID dipped headlights. I've noticed the near side bulb is appearing slightly dimmer and/or not the crisp white light that I normally get. The next MOT is April. I've therefore been looking into a replacement HID bulb.

Lots of digging for information, diagrams, etc, including a visit to Honda has pointed out that the Type-S didn't ever have HIDs on that year, doesn't have auto-levellers and doesn't have light washers. All in all, the general feeling is that this add-on kit is illegal on this vehicle, despite getting through passed MOTs.

Now, Honda think I'll be fine to remove the ballasts, HID bulbs and wiring, and connect/fit halogen bulbs instead. All sounds fine. However, the book says H1 55w 12v bulbs. The H1 bulbs appear to have a single terminal so I'm guessing they go to ground through the socket itself(?). Assuming that's the case, I then have a slight anomaly in that there is both a red and a black cable connection available in the dipped headlight section... And has been used to connect to the black cable of the HID kit. So, should that black wire be there? And if so, I assume I ignore it, fit an H1 Halogen, connect just the red cable, job done(?)

hours spent online keep returning images and step by step instructions for the US version of the 2003 Accord which is in some areas significantly different to the UK version. However... Searching for Acura TSX does bring back matching headlight assembly, but... The Acura TSX is kitted up with HID as standard.

The diagram available on Lings Honda Parts isn't clear enough to confirm if its a connector with one cable (red), or two cables.

So, I'm looking to the experts... You guys... To please put me out of my misery. So, 2003 Accord UK Type-S... Fitting H1 Halogen bulb... Single terminal on bulb... So I just connect the red wire(?) and ignore the black wire(?).

I will try and get some pics in good light but getting my hand there is a struggle... And that's without a camera.

thanks all. Sorry this is so long winded.

Cheers
    DS

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No sweat dude, fit the H1, red wire goes onto bulb, black wire goes onto the casing of the headlight, just above where the spring clip seats. Get a camera or mirror down there and you'll see the spade connector for the black wire.

I'll try digging up a diagram for you if I can.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If it has the aftermarket hits the black and red wires will be inserted into the female block connector of the ballast you need to remove it and then slot them into the H1 halogen blub. Simple.http://hondakarma.com/threads/144/

Not very clear but gives you an indication . most probably they have drilled the caps at the back of the headlights making it easier for you to look.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. dansime Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Thank you for the very quick replies! Hugely appreciated!

I've ordered some bulbs for delivery early next week, so I'll make sure I've got camera/inspection mirror to hand and have a go! As soon as I've done it and then get a spare few mins, I'll post here to let you know how I get on.

Thanks again... I knew I would get the answer here!

Cheers
    DS

5. dansime Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    Hi,

Just a quick note to say thanks again for the help on this. I ordered a set of H1 bulbs and removed all the HID bits and pieces that weren't supposed to be there. With some interesting positioning, removal of the battery, a bit of help from the camera phone, I found the spade connector and got the black wire connected.
    The cowboy that had fitted the HIDs had bent the spring clips a lot to make the HID bulbs sit behind the spring meaning the new H1 bulbs werent being held to start with. I re-shaped the spring clip back to the correct shape and job done.
    The screw on covers on the back of the lights have got holes in where the HID cables had been fed through so I'll either put some rubber seals in place or order new screw on back covers... Not the end of the world.

Anyway, as you gathered from my first post, I was pretty up tight about it all... Very frustrated... But the guidance you gave was spot on and I'm all sorted.

Thank you
    Cheers for now
    DS

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice one. Good to hear you sorted it and thanks for reporting back. A lot of people forget to that and some don't even say "thank you".

So 10/10 for you on all accounts LOL.