Engine & Gearbox H22/F22 Engine Swap

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rastaj, Wednesday 22nd Oct, 2014.

1. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Rastaj Templemore
    Have decided to swap out my f18b2 engine from my accord for a h22 from a Prelude rather than h22 from Type-R. Just wondering what I need exactly for swap? Also will the loom from either car work with other engine or will I have to get custom loom made?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Moved to 6th Generation section.

That's a very hard question to answer, I'm mostly a K-Series guy and my older engine knowledge isn't great, and I know very little on the F18 at all.

Firstly you'll need to look at physically fitting it, H22 and F22 mounts should be identical, so you can use stock or aftermarket ATR mounts if the F18 differs. For wiring, I know that the H22 (Accord Type-R) has a very similar harness to the F22 engines, though there is some differences, so that'd likely be a base point for you too.

Management, you can go for ODBI or ODBII as both were used for management on the stock engines. @H-Tune can look into that side for you.

Axles are likely the same so no issue, A/C compressor and power steering pump need looking at to be 100%, but I'd assume they're also compatible - you want to use parts from the donor engine where possible for that so that belt sizes are easy to get a hold of.

The UKDM 6th Generation isn't very popular for swaps, so there will be a bit of trial and error here - but generally speaking swapping between F and H-Series engines is very simple compared to others.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So if I was to buy a complete h22 Prelude I'd have 90℅ of what I'd need?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Well yes, but just buy the engine complete with ancillaries mate as you'll save pennies. If you're buying a complete other car, you might as well have a complete other car :Laughing:

I'll try dedicate some time to more research for you to find out what is cross-compatible and what isn't.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Rastaj the key to any successful swap project is research. @DeviateDefiant has given you some ideas of what areas to address, you need to take each area and ensure you have answers.

I'll see if I can dig up anything for you as well.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If I remember correctly from what a member on another club who did a H22 swap, he said the H22 in the lude is slightly different, so has different looms and possibly mounts too, also bear in mind when swapping a standard Accord with a h22 you will need to do a lot of other work for the car to cope with extra power, staring off with full brake upgrades. There is a fair amount of work and cost involved, which is why its not very popular as its cheaper to buy an ATR.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Rastaj - any update on this swap mate?

8. Rastaj Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No not yet won't be starting untill after Christmas get that out of the way first ha

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Don't forget to update this thread of start a new thread buddy and if you need any technical info I think we have sufficient resources here to assist you. :Happy: