Electrical & Lights Had to get the AA out today :(

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by karlak, Tuesday 29th Sep, 2015.

1. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got home today and Wife tells me the car won't start - rubbish thinks I, you aren't used to the keyless system yet. But, yep just about tries to turn the engine over, battery has very little oomf in it. AA came out and used his bit of kit to boost the battery and analyse it. He said the battery does seem fine, but was a little low on Volts. We left the car running for 20 minutes and then Wife took it into town, all started fine afterwards and got home OK

So, it is a used car we picked up last week and drove around 140 miles home, been out for a couple of 20 mile runs over the weekend. So I would have thought the battery should have been fully or at least well charged. I have sat in the car on the drive and set up some of the configs but not for long, certainly not long enough to drain a well charged battery for a Diesel vehicle. I double checked no interior lights were left on, but think the 12 volts system shuts down after a while anyway ?

We will see how it goes, but if we get it happen again will be pushing for a new battery I think as a starter.

First Honda we have owned and it is the first time we have had to call out the AA to home - I heard Honda's don't go wrong :Wink:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would get it checked out these new CR-V have a complex Battery system and full of sensors and Alternating Current Generator (ACG) plus the idle stop .Which to you and me means smart charging. If the battery has insufficient charge the alternator will not be able to charge the battery unto full charge of SOC aka State of Charge.

Alternators are not designed for battery charging batteries when the SOC charge falls below 12.4 V you will have these issues. Personally all the new Honda have a overcomplicated battery and charging system due to idle stop technology and the cost of fixing major issues is quite horrific.

Also have a look at this thread for some battery care pointers Article: 7th & 8th Generation Honda Accord Long Crank Times?

3. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was just thinking this tonight. I will call my local Honda dealer tomorrow and see what they think. They are not the dealer we purchased it from, but I am sure will be fine.

Ours doesn't have stop/start with it being an automatic, but it does seem very complex none the less. Am happy we got a 3 year warranty with the vehicle :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The manufacturer warranty there for things like this don't even hesitate when it comes to these cars charging systems they are so complex it unreal. I will try to do a thread on them but it may fry people brains.

karlak likes this.
  5. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Both the AA fella and the Honda service manager I spoke to both also said about being careful with jump starting these CR-V's. Something about Keys can be wiped if left in the ignition. Ours is a keyless start, but the AA man was at great pains to keep the key out of the car while messing with the battery - seemed he was working from past experience where a key left in the vehicle can be affected.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is correct both of then are right! but we can recover the keys without going to the dealer provided the other key (spare key is working) Have a look at this thread Guides - 4th Generation CR-V FAQ & Faults Master List. under Remote Control Fob

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Hopefully it is something simple @karlak :fingerscrossed:

I know this isn't very scientific, but when visiting car dealers it isn't unusual to see a second hand car on the forecourt having the battery charged, one assumes in advance of a test-drive.

If your car was sitting around for a while before you got it, it may just be that the battery was low - although as you say, I would have thought the length of your drive home should have charged it up.

At least you have a good warranty, maybe insist on a new battery regardless of what they say?

:goodluck:

karlak likes this.
  8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mine only does low mileage and often isn't used for days on end. I therefore have it on an Accumate for most of the time. I have used one on my cars for years and it keeps the batteries in tip top condition and I've never had any battery problems, with one on a V40 I had lasting for 14 years.

Keith

Nels likes this.
  9. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So....

Waiting for the AA again. Won't start presumably because of the battery again..

As the car is still within its 3 year warranty, will a new battery be covered ? Really need this sorting, can't have the wife stranded for a third time :Frown:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Questions are .. is the battery not holding charge or is it not being charged properly or is something draining the battery ?

Don't think battery would be a warranty item

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Speedy's questions are all valid but given you are still in the warranty period, I would let the dealer find the answers. I don't think batteries are covered under the warranty but a new car's battery should last longer than 3 years, so I would definitely take it back and let them sort it out.

If it is the battery, you can still buy one elsewhere, you don't have to get it from the dealer but I wouldn't start investigating problems when the car remains under warranty. To do so could give the dealer a get out if it is a warranty problem.

Keith

12. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So.

The battery had 7 volts when the AA put their booster on it and would not turn over, so needed his van battery to give it more oooomph.

What we noticed was that the battery was getting around 30amps from the alternator, on idle. But, when we put some electrics on, this dropped to 0 or less, especially the heating system. But no Alternator/Battery red light on the dash ? Anyway, he suggested we take it down the dealer where it is now, great service by breakdown and getting us a Enterprise Hire car.

Wasn't as please with the Service chap at Honda who was very dismissive generally and derogatory about the AA guys. I tried to explain the problem but he didn't seem interested, very disappointing.. Perhaps he thinks being left stranded twice in a few months is acceptable :Frown: .

As it was a Honda used vehicle we purchased in September, I will fight very hard that we should not have to purchase a new battery, as it was quite clearly not up to the job when we got the car.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a disappointing attitude by the Honda Service guy !

14. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lets see what happens when they call me back with whatever they find. But, I don't appreciate him telling me there is likely to be nothing wrong, when quite clearly there is :Frown: . As soon as someone starts slagging someone else off, in this case the AA guy, I lose respect very quickly.

15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I think the word is "unprofessional".

16. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well,,,,,, Kind of re-deemed themselves :Smile:

Had a call to say they got the car in the workshop this afternoon and their "machine" told them that the battery needs to be replaced. So, new battery installed and covered by warranty, so no charge (excuse the pun:Wink: ). Pleased they got it in the workshop so soon, so hats off to them for that.

legend-ary likes this.
  17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    All's well that ends well!

Keith

karlak likes this.
  18. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    glad you got this sorted in the end

chris,

19. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    I usually work on the premise that you need to do at least 2.5 miles after starting to get battery recharged, but if all the alternator amps are going into the Lights, Heater, Wipers etc this could take a lot longer. Buying a new battery should get 3-4 years warranty, so it should be within the 3 year new car warranty period.