Off-Topic Hamarite paint...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobsyUK, Tuesday 5th Jul, 2016.

1. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    When did Hamarite paint become rubbish?

For years I've painted rusty gates,
    Tired engine bays and even a leaking strut without any issues.

I recently purchased some calipers and noticed that with one brush paint would go on but with the second half would come back off.
    I assumed the calipers had some sort of oil on them and eventually after endless coats they were covered.

We are looking to move so I've prepped the outside wood work & garage, sanding priming and even under coat on the bare metal sections.

To my shock I'm having the same issue as the calipers. I probably shouldn't have used metal paint on the wood but even the garage is 'repealing' the paint.

All I can assume is that the good old EU has banned a sticky chemical that made Hamarite one coat.

It's not the end of the world it just means double coats in some areas.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Painting is all about prep mate the surface as to be ultra clean preferably smooth surface and wiped down with panel wipe and paint is cured in the correct temperature and adequate dry time between coats.

I doubt the paint has changed that much buddy.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    It's defiantly thinner then it used to be.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used hammerite to paint the calipers of my Accord and 3 years later, its all on there and gets cleaned along with the alloys on her weekly washes. The preperation work took a long time, old rust removed with abrasive wheels ande everything cleaned up. Prep work was around half a day easily.

Nels likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A large stick and stir away for 20 minutes in a figure of 8 or get a can shaker put that on for 10 minutes the bottom of the can as all the good bits sat :zen: