Suspension, Steering and Brakes Hand brake won't stay adjusted for long

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by tonygw, Thursday 21st May, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

I think I am posting in the right place but if not sorry please re -direct me. I usually post in the accord forum as the accord is my main car.

Anyway the problem is My father in law owns my old 1.8 Vtech Civic aerodeck whcih is still running perfect with 127K miles on.

The problem is the rear hand brake. it has no bite at all. I adjust the adjuster under the center consul to the bite point and it works great for a bout two days. Then it goes slack again and won't hold the car.
    I thought it might be one of the calipers which I replaced on the drivers side but its made no difference. Once its adjusted I know its holding both wheels fine so I don't think its caliper related. The adjuster seems fine.

So how can it loose its bite after two days? Is there another adjustment anywhere? Is the adjuster slipping somehow? It doesnt seem to be? Could the cable be stretched?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tony

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take the rear discs off and check the disc and pads condition what condition are they in.

B__1910.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm The discs and pads were replaced not so long ago. They are in very good condition.
    Which is why I am a bit baffled to say the least, never seen this issue before.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Check the cable mate, it could be starting to fray. So when you adjust it, it holds for a couple of days, until the strain of it being under tension frays it a bit more and it stretches, losing tension and grip.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I think MOT time is soon so will probably let the garage have a look as I don't have acces to ramps to get a good look underneath. I'll report back once I know. Does make sense that the cables could be frayed, I can't think of any other components that could cause this strange issue. CHeers

6. Nighthawk Guest

I've had a cable go "twang" on me as it result of it fraying in my youth.

Admittedly, I was doing handbrake turns in it :blush::Whistle:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Naughty @Nighthawk :telloff:

:Tongue:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

Completely killed the mood that did. Getting some good speed, quick hard turn to the left, yank it up and instead of slewing around, it went twang. (Was in that Toyota I built)

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Better that it let go then than when it was alone and parked on a steep hill !

Nighthawk likes this.