Suspension, Steering and Brakes Handbrake adjustment ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Nels, Wednesday 16th Apr, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Has anyone carried out the handbrake adjustment on the rear wheels of a PFL 7th Generation saloon CTDI?

The O/S rear is not as freely moving as the N/S and I would like to release it a little.
    (The cable under the centre console has already been slackened off)

I have read @Ichiban 's guide on this topic for the tourer.
    Handbrake Adjustment (Tourer) • Honda Karma

The diagram below is different to my PFL saloon
    Tourer Major handbrake adjust AOCUK.JPG
    It looks like the access plug (A) can be removed with the disc in situ?
    My discs do not have this.
    IMG_5745 . 1.

It would appear that the disc and caliper will have to come off again, unless anyone knows better ?

Thanks,
    JD

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm having a blonde attack :Foolish:

The handbrake cable links into the back of the caliper.
    Can't see any adjustment on it.
    The cable and springs are moving freely.
    However, once the caliper is bolted back on, the disc does not rotate as freely on the O/S compared to the N/S

Any ideas?

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This is a shot of the back of the O/S caliper, where the handbrake cable connects.
    These are stock, Lucas calipers

Can the parking brake be adjusted from here?

IMG_5751.JPG

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nels likes this.
  5. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I believe the only cable adjustment is the one you have done - it adjusts both cables together, to confirm whether it is cable or caliper fault remove the cable from the caliper - the nut that locks the cable to the caliper is the one on the right of the bracket, if you undo it and pull back the rubber gaitor you should be able to slide the cable off the caliper.
    Your symptoms are suggesting that it is a caliper fault, this is quite common, I replaced both my rear calipers on my old Civic,

Nels likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thank you @SpeedyGee & @lefty :Drinks:

I just wasn't sure if I'd missed anything.
    I thinks it's probably the caliper.
    Not sure if it's rubbing slightly because both pads and disc are new and full thickness.
    It's not overheating as such, so is it worth running it for a while and see if it loosens off?

If not, I may have to get 2 new calipers.

7. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When the brake pads were replaced, were the caliper sliders cleaned and lightly greased? If not the caliper may not slide which could cause your sticking. Also if you remove your pads one side at a time and depress the foot brake pedal very slowly (best to do it with 2 people, 1 person to depress the pedal the other person to check that the pistons do not pop out fully) pull back the piston rubber boot and apply some lubricant (specific caliper piston lubricant) you can get a small satchet from any factors, put some on the piston and push back into the caliper.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @lefty.
    Thank you for that.
    Clearly you've had similar issues.

All sliders were removed, cleaned and re-greased (slider grease) before re-insertion into the sockets, which had also been cleaned and re-greased.
    I did re-grease the outer surface of the pistons before pushing them back too.
    I'm fairly confident the piston and sliders are not the cause.
    When I slackened off the handbrake cable inside the car, both rear wheels did turn, (O/S less than N/S) but not as freely as the front.

My thought was that since discs and pads are all new, and therefore as thick as they are ever going to be, could that be why they are just rubbing?
    If so, once they 'bed in' it may free up.
    The handbook says that "New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300km (200 miles)"

Before
    IMG_5649.JPG

After
    IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5728.JPG

Sliders - rubber covers also loaded with grease
    IMG_5727.JPG

9. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    ur braking system seems similar to mine.
    No, there no adjustment from behind the wheel(i could be wrong, but thats what i figured out by spending a few hours trying to adjust):Unknown:
    Best u could do here is spray some WD40 just behind this arm(the one attached to the spring), plus one more thing i did was, took the spring out (be warned, its a bit tricking to put it back in, so make sure u carefully look at how the spring is resting in first), stretched it a bit and put it back in. Anyways funnily enough, i just am unable to find a replacement spring, as i can clearly see the spring has almost lost its tension. Would be good if someone can point me to the correct place to look for one.

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@hsyasin Thank you for your suggestions and advice.:Smile:

I disconnect the cable and took the spring off yesterday. Yes is was a bit tricky to get back on again.
    I found a pair of pliers whilst lying under the car the only was to do it.
    The spring on mine was still quite strong, so I don't think that's my issue, but I do appreciate any and all suggestions.
    I didn't completely strip it down, but there is a dust cover behind the plate, that cable hooks onto. (pic below)
    I did manage to get some silicone spray and then grease in there

WRT the spring, I have not found it listed anywhere so far.
    However, since these are stock brakes, maybe Honda have them?
    If I find the spring anywhere I will let you know :Thumbup:

IMG_5751 .1.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not heard of a spring needing replacing, it usually just the mechanism itself that gets jammed.

Get some penetration fluid the lever part, grab it with a pliers (with the cable disconnected) and give it good wiggle back and forth until it feels like its moving totally freely.

Just observe that the spring returns it back to its stop position.

12. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    My handbrake is only working on one wheel, is the bolt in the photo with the circle round it the adjuster?

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    That is not an adjuster and that bolt should not be tampered with. I recommend you have a professional look at your brakes.

14. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My brakes are working really well now, but I'm thinking I may have to replace the caliper due to the handbrake not working. The cable is moving so its not the cable. I'm sure I can fit a caliper and bleed the entire system, but before I buy the caliper just want to make sure that the existing caliper isn't just needing adjustment. I will have another look at it on Friday during the day, because its harder at night to see things. Many thanks.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Get someone else to pull the handbrake whilst you watch the mechanism on the caliper, if the lever is not moving when the handbrake is pulled, the handbrake part of the caliper is seized.

16. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If handbrake part of caliper is seized is it an easy repair? Or would it be easier to just replace the caliper?

17. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    If it's seized it's not a nice job to strip down and try to repair. Ime not even sure if you can repair the mechanism. I would not recommend stripping down the caliper at all. If you are confident enough that your capable of replacing the caliper I would stick to that. Just be sure that the handbrake cable is not stretched or broken before you go any further.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

As @Beefy says, easier to get a refurbed caliper (if that is the issue). There's a company on ebay that send you a refurbed rear caliper for £40, when you send your's back you get £15 back. If you go for this option if I were you I would get both sides at the sametime.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  19. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@SpeedyGee
    Are these the calipers your talking about? they don't have great feedback but they seem really cheap.

Anyone used their refurbed calipers?
    Looking to do mine in the near future
    Was going to use these guys - I've used them before (brakes international) but they are quite pricey but exceleltn quality and good service
    Brake Parts for Cars

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hmm no, the company I used was based in Birmingham.

I'll try dig out the details later for you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry no that's the one I used I think the CarFactorsUk one.

Calipers have been on my car since middle of last year, have maybe 10k on them now and seem to be doing well.

jimmy1973gb likes this.