Suspension, Steering and Brakes Handbrake Cable.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Snapper69, Monday 4th Apr, 2016.

1. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The other day, when I pulled my handbrake on, the lever came right up, to about the level of my elbow. The handbrake still works, although on a steepish hill, it was making a groaning noise and the car was inching backwards. I suspect that the cable to one of the rear wheels has broken, is that likely to be the problem?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It could have broken or one of the calipers has seized.

3. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok,ta. Better get it booked in then.

4. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Took it in yesterday. Bad News, it was the caliper, (the guys at the garage (run by a mate of mine) tried to free it off, no luck), £400+ from Honda, £150 from another supplier. Honda hadn't got one in and couldn't give a date, so they ordered one from their usual supplier. It was the wrong one, one of the downsides to having a changeover car, even Honda got it wrong when they ordered me some mats a few months ago. As I needed the car back, they put it back together and tried freeing it off again and it worked. They said to try it and if it did it again, bring it back.

5. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi @Snapper69

My rear calliper on my 08/09 Accord seized and my local Honda garage just replaced the piston, seals, disks and pads-down to metal, so no need for a calliper.

6. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

From what I've been told, there's a part inside the caliper that actuates the handbrake. That part can seize/break which means that the caliper needs replacing, unless I misunderstood.

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    @Snapper69
    On a saloon that my well be the case, but a Tourer is just a normal calliper.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    There is nothing within the caliper of the saloon which activates the handbrake. The handbrake mechanism is on the outside of the caliper which can be replaced if necessary. The caliper itself is normal in its operation.

Nels and hondream like this.
  10. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Must have misunderstood then.

11. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, the damn thing has gone again. Do you mean that the handbrake mechanism can be replaced without replacing the caliper?

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The handbrake mechanism is integrated into the rear caliper, but the cable itself can be replaced easily enough.

13. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, ta. Sadly the problem is with the caliper, so it looks like I'm going to have to budget some extra for the service/MOT in October.