Electrical & Lights handbrake warning light dashboard

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by dioxide, Thursday 11th Jun, 2015.

1. dioxide Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello to everybody on this forum. This is my first post on here. If someone can help me please. I have a 2000 6th Generation Accord 1.8 F18b2 CH8. I'm having an issue with the handbrake warning exclamation red light that comes on the dashboard when the handbrake is applied. The light on there would not show up at all. The only time is shows up is when I turn the key to 2nd position on the ignition. When the car fires up the light should stay on if the handbrake is still up. I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine. Is there somewhere else I need to look for problems?

Thank you so much

2. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Faulty switch? Part number 2 on the diagram below

B__2600.

Check if it is actually pushed down when you pull the handbrake

Ichiban likes this.
  3. dioxide Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thank you bijomaru for the fast reply. i will check out the switch.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    EDIT: Didnt read the question correctly - edited to avoid confusion and so that I can hide under a rock and look less silly :Whistle:

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nighthawk wouldn't the light come up if the level was low?

dioxide says the light never comes up, only during the self test when turning the ignition key. That makes me think the check is fine when it comes to fluid level, also means the actual LED is ok.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yes mate you are right, this is what happens when you don't read a post correctly before replying :Whistle:

Missed the key word out there.... ooops. my bad

Il just go hide away under a rock again :Laughing:

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Happened to each one of us :Smile: Let's wait for dioxide to report back. Could this be my first spot on diagnosis? :Whistle:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. dioxide Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the comments and replies I will have to check this out over the weekend but I will post the outcome on here so others with same issue like this can benefit. This forum is great. I'm glad it exists. I'm gonna have to remove the screws from the centre console and then check what is happening there.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's an extremely odd issue - if you leave the handbrake at quarter (where its almost useless) and drive is there no light?

10. dioxide Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi chinkylover,

the warning light never comes on when the handbrake is applied, even if its quarter of the way up and you drive it just doesn't come up. Will check out the switch because everything points in that direction. Has to be the switch like the one bijomaru posted up there on the diagram.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chinkylover? Can't deny that

Anywho how is it going?

12. dioxide Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

sorry my friend. i was using my phone to type and while typing it does this predictive text thing.