Reviews Hankook Ventus V12 EVO

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by PeteMM, Wednesday 21st May, 2014.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Hankook Ventus V12 EVO

Having had a nightmare over the last week or so regarding tyres, it was time to man up and just pay for some good ones. Much the same as @DeviateDefiant I am a Yokohama man through and through, but the C-Drives and A-Drives really don't cut the mustard when given a certain budget.

In no particular order:

Noise
    Much quieter than the P-Zeros and the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's

Comfort
    Good. Much harder sidewall than the Uniroyals which give a very planted feeling with no crashy ride.

Handling
    Actually very good, there is a little Holywood tyre syndrome in the dry on a warm day, but aside from that they do everything you want when you want them. The stiffer sidewalls make for very positive driving feel, no tramlining and on a good hard run over the hills I wasn't able to make them go off, so they are pretty good in my book so far.

Wear
    I will let you know when I managed to destroy them.

Snow
    Fortunately we haven;t had snow this year, unlikely to get it at this stage. Therefore I cannot comment.

Fuel Economy
    To be able to give the description above for handling, I would like to refrain from discussing fuel economy. A depressing subject when trying to determine whether your tyres are any good :Tongue:

Acceleration grip
    Great. After the initial scrubbing in I was unable to bring on the VSA light through normal hard acceleration. With the VSA off and a harder launch they let out a small chirp, dug in and gave fantastic forwards grip. Even on roads where you lift a wheel on bumps and the likes there was a audible chirp prior to getting back to work. So far so good.

Overall
    With what I have experienced of them so far, and the fact I was able to get them for £93 each instead of £115+ makes them fantastic value and providing they wear well they would definitely be one for looking at as a long term go-to tyre.

Racy Jace, Ichiban and Nels like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@PeteMM I've had these on my car since late 2012.
    I don't think they grip as well as Yokos, but they've been more than suitable for me.
    For a road tyre, for an old so'n'so like me, they tick the boxes.

I don't push things to the limit, so cannot comment there, but I'm no old duffer in a Micra either :Wink:

Hope they perform to your needs :Smile:

PeteMM likes this.
  3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I hope so too. As I said above, they have ticked all the boxes so far as a good compromise tyre.

The next time it rains will be a good tell as to how they work on our roads.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Like we were discussing the other day, I think this is one of the most important things. You should see the Goodyears I have on the front at the moment skip the second you throw some torque at them, cannot wait to get my Primacy 3s on the car.

You did your research mate, and it sounds like you've come up trumps :Smile:

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Fortunately there were two already fitted to the wheels, when I moved them to the front I was able to make sure those were the tyres I was going to plumb for.

Too much time taken up recently in trying to find the right tyres, should have been earning money instead :Tongue:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yokohama ,Bridgestone & Michelin are the the only tyres which I have tried and always buy in that order.Yokies for life me! :Hooray:

Goodyear has been making some tyres which make up sit up and take notice! They have some tyre skills that no one will ever have.:Pathead:

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My cars had the V12 Evo's on it since I've had it and I've just kept replacing them with the same they seem pretty good to me and there a decent price too.

Nels likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7.6.14 (Saturday - heavy rain in the midlands)
    I've been out today in all this rain. Mixture of motorway, dual carriageway, town roads etc.
    Speeds up to 70mph, as the limits and spray allow, and had no issues with grip/traction.
    That's not to say that the premium brands would not have been better, but the V12 Evo's were fine for me.

This was not a scientific test, or a recommendation to others, merely a statement, that for my driving style, they were fine. :Hey:

How are you getting on with them @PeteMM ?

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had very mixed driving on them. Everything from motorway at high speed to farm gutter covered back roads, hot sticky Tarmac to flooded loose gravel and I am yet to find anything that causes me any concern.

For the money, they seem to handle everything fairly well. I'd prefer the sidewalls to be a little stiffer as I feel you could damage them easy on potholes and the likes, but they provide plenty of grip in all conditions, they don't feel like Lego bricks in the wet but they do squeal like an American TV car on fresh Tarmac when being pushed on in the corners.

10. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Guys just an update, my fronts are coming up to 2 years old there starting to crack slightly in the tread but today I noticed a massive deformity on one of the tyres where a length of about 15-20cms (rotational length) had like sunk inwards as if the inside of the tyre wall had collapsed this was on the outer most tread right at the top of the sidewall. Just had to shoot and get 2 Falkens stuck on her glad I noticed as I think that had potential to go bang on the motorway!

DeviateDefiant and PeteMM like this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not good Dave glad you spotted it matey so many miles have you got on your tourer now. I bet your facelift is the one or the only one with high mileage?

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

She's just about to hit 178k mate not had clutch slip for a few months now it's doing well cos it's been intermittently slipping for at least 20k miles! Need to order all me filters soon as it's big service time at 180k. I've had the A/C recharged as it tends to loose a bit of gas I suspect the A/C rad is at fault it seems to last a year anyway and then only on really hot days do you notice it's not working as efficiently.

Got to say I'm looking forward to her hitting 200k although that won't be for a while yet not doing as much mileage as I used to but she's doing me proud I've put 45k on it and it's cost me an alternator, tyres, discs, pads, 2 rear calipers so you really can't grumble at that. Still drives like its done 50k I looked at a Citroen C5 a while ago with 60k on it driver seat worn + steering wheel mines pretty much unmarked and 3 times the mileage.

13. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Just an update on these.

Still overall a superb tyre. So much so I've put another two on the rear and moved the previous rears to the front.

The V12 Evo 2's are now available and that's what I've gone for. As for the differences. Haven't a clue. But I like them. Which is more than I can say about the lowering springs.

Nels likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Since you cover more miles than me, it's reassuring that you're happy with the V12 Evo's, since I have them too.
    I'll have to investigate the Evo 2's.

15. musicman580 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ian Perth
    Hi Folks
    I know that most of you are "Honda OEM ONLY" however has anyone fitted after market wheel/tyre packages from Wheelbase Alloys? That seem excellent value for the four wheels and tyres - around 800 - 1000 for the complete deal. I presently have 19" Orions and though they are brilliant they are not a viable option long term, as I cannot afford to replace tyres on a too regular basis!
    What do you think ? :sage:
    Ian

16. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Sims Stoke on Trent
    I have them on my FD2 and I had them on my S15.
    Plenty of grip, not much road noise.

My only gripe is the side walls are flexible at high speed cornering but not that you'd notice unless you knew your car very well.

Fantastic for the money.