General Happy brake job

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Saturday 13th Feb, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Today I had the opportunity to be able to complete the brake job on the front of my Accord that I have been promising to do for a couple of weeks, but had been unable to do due to poor weather conditions.

So asked the manager at woke if I could use one of the store sheds as cover, and so I did what I needed to. However I now seem to have a slight issue in that the pedal sometimes feels a little spongy, but that could be because I still have some trapped air in the system after changing a caliper and not properly bleeding the air out. And also think one side might be binding slightly. So apart it comes to investigate.

Also had nee tyres fitted to the front, some Dunlop SP Sport blueresponce.
    20160213_095211. 20160213_095159. 20160213_095124. 20160213_090954. 20160213_090127.

exec, Nels, Duc de Pommfrit and 4 others like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Goodman! nothing like using your initiative and getting stuff done, our weather farking sucks but we have to plod along. Here hoping for a good sizzling barbecue summer.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nice one, the spongy pedal definetely sounds like air in the system especially if you changed the caliper

exec likes this.
  4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Are you really an expert advisor? Obviously you've not bled the brakes properly ! A task that should be undertaken every three years.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You've obviously no idea what "Expert Advisor" is Stu !

jimjams, Ichiban, MickyB and 3 others like this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had it all apart again this morning, brake pads slide fine, but I found that one of the caliper slide pins was abit sticky and rusty, so I've replaced it with a better condition one I had and re lubed it up with silicone grease. So far it's better now.

Also I rebled that caliper, there was a little air in the system and the pedal is back to being firm again.

exec, AndyB1976, Nighthawk and 2 others like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:GoodJob: @Harvey Thank you for sharing. :Niceone:

Harvey and MickyB like this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Need some warmer drier weather as I have to get the HR-V exhaust manifold changed and I don't have a garage to do it in.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah, I know the feeling, almost all of my work is either done down the ally way at the side of the house or on the road, which at times can be quite busy. Yesterday though, had the opportunity to work in a shed at work

exec likes this.
  10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yep, we're as shick as thit.

MickyB and Harvey like this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Is that an M.Eng term? :Laughing:

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    :Thumbup:

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Good work mate

Harvey likes this.
  14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers guys. All is sweet now, she stops a goodun.

15. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    Good work and nice pictures :Smile:.

How are the prices in the UK if i may ask :Wink:.
    In Denmark i can get 2 front discs and pads for about 130 GBP. For non Honda parts.

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks mate. Well I used a local motor factors called W M Rollings. They supplied ADL Blueprint discs with Mintex pads, which came to £77.80 including tax.

17. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    Man :Grin:, that is cheap.

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could have got some cheaper stuff as well. And Brembo came in at 97 for pads and discs

Fiskekutteren likes this.
  19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    How are you finding those BL and Mintex gear?

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Better than the worn stuff that was on before. I've used mintex stuff before on my astra and they where fine. Not really sure about the blueprint discs atm. But otherwise they seem to stop the car just fine, though I do have a small area around the inner area where the pad isn't catching, but been told that's normal, until everything is bedded in.

exec likes this.