Suspension, Steering and Brakes Hard Ride?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by pizza, Monday 25th Aug, 2014.

1. pizza New Member Getting Started

kenneth stoke on trent
    Hi everyone I am new to the site and have held off with this problem while I try find to a solution. Like James Vr who bought his car and test drove on A roads and motorway, I did the same, the car drove well and the deal was done. The 200 mile drive home still felt fine.
    However driving around my village the next day, the ride was what one could only describe as HARD, and thats being very generous. checked tyre pressures, all O.K., the tyres were new and had only covered 200 miles. so tried lowering the pressures a pound at a time with a test run over the same road out of the village each time. eventually the pressures were down to 32 psi all round although the ride had slightly improved the ride was still not good and the handling also started to suffer. The car was due a Honda recall, so while it was in HH here in Stoke I got them to check suspension, they could find nothing amiss, they said the set up looked normal and in good condition and showed no signs of being modified from standard. Even got a sales rep (who had never driven a Legend) to take the car out and he confirmed my worst fears by saying he found the ride harsh.
    Next move was to remove the new Rockstone tyres (having read bad reports about them) and replaced them with Bridgestone as per HH recommendations. this improved the ride slightly, but it was still a hard ride. Reason for all this story .......any body else had similar experience/problems, can anybody offer suggestions about what next to try apart from getting rid.
    Current psi as per handbook 38f....36r
    The car is a 2007 with 66000 on the clock
    Cheers Ken
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tyres have been replaced and suspension is fine , then we need a few of the other legend owners to concur or not to concur with your perception basically. I have driven the Legend and it's was perfect. What car have you owned before making a comparison to the Legend ride.

Welcome to HK.
  3. pizza New Member Getting Started

kenneth stoke on trent
    Hi Ichiban
    Thanks for your reply, in answer to your question where would you like me to start?. Audi a8, Mercedes Type-S, BMW 7 series, Peugeot 607 all so called executive saloons and all very nice, but as a benchmark can I say my father in laws Kia Picanto is a better ride than my Legend and the Father in Law confirms this. On reflection I think the ride is even harder than my wifes Audi tt, I bought the Legend as I though it was Hondas flagship car and although I am more than happy with every other aspect of the car, the ride is certainly not premier !. If any other Legend owners are in my area I would welcome a chance to try their car and they could try mine, we could then compare.
    As a little aside, can I sing the praises of Holdcroft Honda in Stoke, they are one of the best dealer experiences I have ever had and would not hesitate in recommending them to any Honda owner.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Maybe you bought the car with flagship intensions but if the car was neglected or ferried rubbish to the tip for a living then the car has no chance to deliver the ride you are looking for.

HH well they are well renowned for good service. Can another Legend owner help out Ken please?
  5. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ken, what size wheels do you have? I have the 18" option & do find the ride harsh on the rough roads where I live. Away from here, no problem. I expect that Honda deliberately designed in stiff suspension to maximise the benefits of the SH-AWD. It is a matter of personal preference & I might change to 17" wheels when the current tyres are worn down. I've gathered from this site that it can make a difference. I suppose to some extent we are conditioned by what we have previously driven. I've got used to it now & wouldn't change the car as I love it.
  6. pizza New Member Getting Started

kenneth stoke on trent
    Hi v6Echo
    Im currently running 18in wheels and having read a lot of problems on the American sites it seems that running these sizes can lead to what they call a "harder" ride.
    As you say it might be worth considering downsizing to 17in when the tyres wear out.
    Also I understand that US cars have softer suspension setup, so perhaps secondhand US parts may be the way to go ??
  7. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi all
    I was a little surprised with the ride when I bought my car also on 18s, The thing is first time you nail it round a corner you kind of get what the legend is really about for a car of its class. I regularly drive my father in laws same age s500l merc and although it lacks a bit of grunt to the merc its quieter has less rattles and corners like its on rails.
    Bring on the snow.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ken,

I've not been around for a while on the site so I've just seen your post, and yes I can confirm that my Legend is certainly the hardest riding car I've ever driven, and it is the worst at dealing with poor road surfaces that I've experienced too. Harshness permeates the cabin at the slightest opportunity. My despair was well documented at the beginning of my ownership experience. However, I was able to improve matters considerably by fitting Pirelli P6000 tyres on the existing 17" wheels to replace the standard Yokohamas. It still crashes and thumps over the slightest ridge, patch of rough tarmac, hole or anything other than absolutely perfect road, but I can live with it now because the P6000s did make a big difference, toned down the harshness a lot, and they are quieter by a long way too. After nearly 6 months of ownership, and even though I really don't care for the ride, I wouldn't want to part with my Legend, it's grown on me in so many other ways, and now that we've "bonded" so to speak, and I'm completely used to it, how it behaves and responds etc. it's a fabulous car overall. Docile as you like around town, but put your foot down a little bit and you know about it.

I love the fact that it is so understated. Most casual observers think it's an Accord and indeed when my neighbours 07 reg Accord is home and you see it side on next to my Legend, there is virtually nothing to distinguish them to the untrained or uninterested eye. In fact, my neighbour asked me, "why has your Accord got different lights to mine" So I showed him the badge on the back and he said he'd never heard of a Legend, didn't know they existed! Some Honda owners do double takes, but nobody else even notices it seems. BMW, Audi and Merc drivers look down their noses, but I'm fine with that. I've seen one other 4th Generation Legend on the road and that was about 5 years ago and I saw one at my local petrol station about a year back. When did I last see a 3 or 5 series, mmmm must have passed 20 on the way home from work! I do a double take when I see a new Accord, they're huge and so handsome compared to the Euro boxes.!
    Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The 4th Generation Legend has such beautiful lines. Such a shame they stopped them over here.
  10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's the engine - include a diesel and it would have done a lot better. Especially considering it looks a darn sight better than the S-Class and Audi equivalent!
  11. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Same thing happened with the Mazda CX 7, it came with a 2.5 turbo petrol engine, same as MPS but people didn't go for it, it was such a heavy drinker. They eventually fixed this by bringing out a 2.2 diesel but it was all too late. Then they dropped it. Test drove one and the wife loved it and so wanted it.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

As much as I do prefer a good petrol engine @Chunkylover53, a diesel unit in the Legend would be have been the right move. However, with the development of more fuel efficient engines, you just never know. I'm sure they can do something better now if they wanted to and the numbers stack up.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I guess the bean counters intervened and dictated that it wasn't worth developing a large diesel engine just for the Legend, then again if they had developed a larger diesel engine they could have given it as an option for the CR-V and perhaps a sportier Accord too.
  14. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

They did develop a Diseasel for it and threw it in the bin with everything else interesting with the 2008 Financapocalype.

Hence the very boring product range now.

The ride on 18"s depends very much what you're comparing it with; there are very many German cars with sports-pack suspension that are far worse. But many cooking models are softer. And the odd Honda supercar is more compliant, come to that...

It's fine for me, but then I drive it like I stole it.
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. stonesfan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stonesfan London
    What diesel engine was lined up for the Legend? Presume it would have been a 6 cylinder of at least 2.5 litres displacement.
  16. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was a V6 of about three litres - it was also needed for the RDX & MDX and Ridgeline.

Honda was gonna introduce the 2.2D in North America, but they couldn't because it couldn't meet emissions without urea injection & they don't like that.

Did you also know about the V6/V8/V10 family of petrols for Acura? It's possible that the new NSX engine might be based upon it.
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've heard rumours about that too, they're heavily invested in the Earth Dreams hybrids at the moment.
  18. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm still finding hard to understand why there are a few owners of the Legend who are having issues with the ride quality of the Flagship Honda . I own both the OEM stock 17" and also the 18" again OEM honda legend optional alloys and both give the car a good ride quality and in terms of comfort it is much better than my Mercedes E class . at the moment I am running the Dunlops Maxx Gt they ok tires but I still prefer the yokohama's .
    DeviateDefiant, Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.