Engine & Gearbox Has anyone chipped a CTDI?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Wizard, Thursday 3rd Dec, 2015.

1. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I have a 2009 CDTI with 65,000 miles on the clock.

I'm thinking about chipping it for more power.

Has anyone done this? If so I have some question....

1. Have you had any problems, clutch, DMF etc....
    2. Was MPG effected?
    3. Did it ruin the drivability?

Thanks in advance :Smile:

Andy

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chipped Accords tend to destroy clutches pretty quickly I'd hate to think what would happen to a CR-V clutch!

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I'm hoping to get mine done this month.. from what I've found out the standard clutch etc is good for up 300 ft/lbd of tourqe

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    180bhp and 400Nm torque is probably the safest to go to in stock setup. Makes a very noticeable difference to the way the car drives not just because of the extra torque and power but it's the power band. Doesn't level off but continues to increase.

5. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wouldn't touch a chip and only go for an actual remap. The graph from that site looks like it's simply increasing boost slightly, but if you go somewhere for a proper remap the bands will be altered so that you don't run out of steam so quickly etc which is really what will change the driving experience, you'll be able to hold the gears much longer without that diesel sudden death of power. You should be able to get a proper remap done for around £250 and even better if you can get a dyno run done before and after so you can see your gains.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for reply.

Can anyone recommend someone that can do this?

I am based in Surrey.

8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi, what @ArcticFire says really, I have an economy map which is 160 BHP and just under 300 torque and it runs nicely with improved MPG. I had mine done at Midland Remaps so no good to you, Celtic are highly recommended by others and will travel to you.

9. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for info.

Have requested a quote from Celtic.

What is difference between Celtic & Quantum remaps/chips?

10. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    Although I've not had it done myself, I believe Celtic are the people to go to. They do very well with the Civic.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think Celtic actually make the maps themselves using a dyno etc so although it's still an off the shelf map it's a bit more custom than a basic generic boosted map.

12. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dunno might be a tad over cautious here, would it not be a good idea to make sure your brakes are in good order or even look at uprating a little? It's great going faster but it's also better to stop efficiently too.

13. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am working with Celtic as we speak and plan to publish a comprehensive review of the experience (watch this space) when done. There are issues that need to be ironed out, some of which arguably would have been identified on a rolling road remap session but I have to say that so far Celtic customer services have been very helpful (although I have to wait another 4 weeks for them to return and investigate the problems which added to the initial 6 weeks wait is rather frustrating).

I have a lot of previous experience over the years with buidling and tuning engines as well as remapping from modest diesel turbos right up to 565BHP on my 911T and agree that a proper rolling road is the best way to go; the work is done on your own car rather than flashing a generic map and any existing issues that may come into play as power is increased are detected and potentially rectified as part of the process. However, this is about 50% more cost compared to plun-n-play companies such as Celtic and they come to you at home / work so no need to take a day off. Whilst this is convenient I must admit that I prefer to be in the dyno room watching the process through - very interesting: Standing right next to a car strapped down on the rollers, running full boost with 565BHP on the dyno and a fraction under 200MPH on the speedo is something else.... :Smile:

For info: I spent a lot of time researching the I-DTEC motor before buying the CR-V. It is one of the most tunable turbo diesels around with 220+BHP and well over 300 lb/ft easily achievable using the standard injectors. The Honda clutch is rated to 410NM which is roughly 300 lb/ft so Celtic's 221BHP / 299ld/ft is as far as you can go with standard components. However, I do not know if the clutch and drivetrain are the same on the CTDi so it would be worth checking what the safe limits are beforehand.

B
    - - - Updated - - -
    On the subject of better brakes: I find the brakes on the CR-V are very strong and should eaily be able to cope with the extra power without bigger rotors or six-pt calipers etc. However, if you are intending on regular 'spirited' driving following a remap (rather than just increasing power for better towing or overtaking) then it is worth considering changing the pads to higher-temperature rated versions. Tarox Strada or EBC Yellowstuff pads would do the job....

14. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very interesting what you've just posted. Just as confirmation however, I was under the impression to get 220bhp- this was only achievable on the Accord Type-S models, as they have upgraded hardware compared to our I-DTECs? If not then, that's great to know!

15. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

According to Celtic they have tuned a number of CR-V I-DTEC 2.2 motors and achieved 221/299 as advertised on their site. The said the engine and ECU etc were identical. Out of interest; did what you heard come from a reliable source? I ask because we did not achieve the full 221/229 but they are suggesting the EGR may be the issue and looking at the curve it spikes and is not smooth so they may be right. They are sending their chap back to run some diagnostics and it the EGR is at fault I may blank it off and get him to delete it from the ECU. I do have warranty but assuming the issue is ECR it is only the remap that has highlighted it. Even if I got a new one it would fail at some point. Unfiltered sooty oily diesel fumes and valves do not mix well....

16. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I remember rightly it was on a Honda accord forum, something about the intercooler being smaller and a different turbo. As stated earlier am a sketchy on this, but to be fair if you get yours on a rolling road and it shows a 50% increase in power then fair play. I'd just check and make sure it's up to scratch longer term. Don't get me wrong I'd love to do what you're doing and maybe find a slightly thicker rear anti roll bar to tighten the rear up and get the big old car to feel more neutral in corners...

17. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Kash. From my POV I am just looking for a little more pulling power for towing and better overtaking etc. As I don't plan on spirited A-Road driving I think a set of EBC front pads is more than adequate (I was planning on this anyway to help stop the car better when towing). As you say, this is a big car but I have been pleasently surprised by the overall handling with stock suspension with body roll well controlled considering the high COG. The only other change I am possibly considering is uprating the rear shocks for both towing and to control dynamic weight transfer as I find it a little excessive and this would of course be exacerbated with more power.

Once I have had all the work completed I will review and report back on the forum as well as add updates every now and then. The chip is £299, the front pads £71 and if I decide to go with rear shocks the Bilsteins are around £90 each. This total spend of only £460 should transform the car. Of course there will be a corresponding increase in insurance once the work is done but in my experience this is not usually significant and you can haggle..

Cheers,
    B

18. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Look forward to your updates, sounds brilliant.

19. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting reading your comments, thank you :Smile:

Around 18 months ago I had the Quantum hybrid chip and I didn't like it and it was removed and I had a full refund as I didn't like the way it made the car drive. The power was great, but it was as mentioned above, just a power boost! The power curve was the same and it ran out of puff at same revs as before and I think it drives better as Honda programmed it.

What I would like is more sensible power so as to not kill clutch etc, but with a wider power band.

Andy

20. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Andy,

Looking at the Celtic map it closely follows the profile of the Honda map just with more power / talk throughout the range, rather than just adding peak power. The standard clutch is man enough for the job so it should be safe so I will trial it and report back.

Cheers,
    B