Pre-Purchase Has anyone on here owned Accord V6 Coupe + Legend??

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by stonesfan, Wednesday 15th Oct, 2014.

1. stonesfan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stonesfan London
    Hi All

Currently the owner of a 1999 V6 Accord Coupe. Am looking at moving on to a 4th Generation Legend. Obviously fuel costs aren't a huge priority as I can live with my current MPG. 18 around town, around 30 on a run. Overall running costs aren't too bad as despite most parts being Honda dealer only, not much has gone wrong with it to be honest.

Just very interested to see if anyone has owned a V6 Accord Coupe and moved on to a Legend. And what was the difference in running costs was.

Thanks for any info :Smile:

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I haven't owned either, but if memory serves the J30 Accord Coupé is rated by Honda at 26mpg combined and the J35 Legend at 23mpg.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Had to say as Leo not own one. But load of 4th Generation legend owners who can give you an indication but won't be far from Leo's figure.

4. stonesfan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stonesfan London
    To be fair I only do 8000 miles per year although most of it is urban traffic including the rush hour in greater london. One thing that I would expect from a Legend is more or less total reliability and no nasty hidden extra costs. ie the sort of things that can push up the cost of motoring for those who choose the German marques especially the diesels.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I agree, but I wouldn't expect any major problems with the Legend. It's a reliable Honda petrol, and there's only been a couple of isolated incidents we've seen that required big amounts of work.

6. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Get one you won't regret it

If you want to know anything then just ask

Matt

Nels likes this.
  7. Midnight Owl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Stonesfan,

I owned the Accord 3.0 Coupe a few years ago and after circa 5 years with it and 198,000 miles on the clock - all of which were genuinely fault free - I changed it for a legend.

I think it's true to say that running costs are broadly comparable - it's slightly more thirsty, but in the scheme of things not horrendous.

What has taken me a bit by surprise is the maintenance. Parts are harder / slower to get (even though it's serviced by Honda) and some basic parts are not individually available, thereby requiring 'bigger' fixes.

Like you, I expected more or less total reliability from the Legend, but my experience, while good, is not exemplary like the Accord was.

So, a slight mixed bag I guess. I do like the legend, and it's genuinrly a great car, but it's not without wrinkles...

Remedy likes this.
  8. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Thanks for the post owl.
    What kind of problems did you have with your Legend?
    What is the fuel consumption of you Legend?

Thx

9. Midnight Owl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mileage
    According to the car stats, I get about 21mpg. These days most of my mileage is short distance to the local train station and pootling around Reading. IIRC, when I did a longer run, e.g. to London, I would usually achieve around 25, IIRC. I've never done the maths though, of miles differential between fill-ups and divided by petrol in....

As a point of reference (to assess the weight of my boot), IIRC, I used to get circa 27-28mpg with the coupe, but that was predominantly motorway driving (Warwick – Nottingham).

Problems
    As for problems – since purchase I’ve had a persistent issue with a flickering front headlamp. Described in another thread, I hope this is just a failing bulb (but even so, this through Honda is likely to be £200-£300 to fix), but may be more sinister.

I had an issue with the some non essential part of my front brakes failing. I *think* it was the shims had cracked or perhaps it was the pad retainer - I really cannot remember - but Honda were certainly quite embarrassed that they could not get the relatively cheap (£50) 'consumable' part full stop. To fix, however, they could only replace the entire brake system (circa £1,200). That episode clouded my judgement severely.

In my view, the car drinks engine oil. Interested in others’ views on this – typically I get the warning message after circa 6000 miles, where it needs about 500-750ml oil to top up.

I had to change the front headlight ‘washer’/ popup squirter due to minor accident. This wasn’t fixed by Honda but it took an age to get the replacement part.

As a minor niggle, the voice commands (to control various aspects of the car, e.g. radio, heating) are very rudimentary and often get it wrong, to the point I cannot use them.

The rear view camera I think adjusts to ambient light. Occasionally it displays abnormally dark and sometimes does not come on. My impression is this is software based rather than loose connection.

The automatic windscreen wipers do not cope with haze and drizzle. This is surprisingly annoying!!

Please don’t misread the above problem list – in my view it is not a bad list given 5 years (and circa 90,000 miles personally driven) – I genuinely like the car and like others here think it represents a bargain. One of the biggest challenges I’ve had over the 5 years is personal expectation management – your phrase “One thing that I would expect from a Legend is more or less total reliability and no nasty hidden extra costs” completely struck a chord as that was my feeling, but with the reduced numbers available (according to these pages, 500 in the UK) it does not have the driver base (or day to day testers if you prefer) to iron out the gremlins. So a wonderful car, yes, without doubt well conceived, yes, but perhaps a little immature in terms of product development?

Remedy likes this.
  10. stonesfan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stonesfan London
    To be fair though Midnight Owl whilst only 500 were sold in the UK, surely thousands more were sold worldwide?

I guess for some parts you could import from USA as the Acura RL is more or less the same car?

11. Midnight Owl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fair point! Though interestingly, the cars' software does vary between UK and US versions. For instance in the US model *I believe* you can setup the automatic wipers to be simply intermittent ones via the car setup. This is not available in UK models. So the userbase point does have some validity (if my info is correct, that is!!!)

Remedy likes this.
  12. Remedy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rem Austria
    Thanks for the detailed post.
    I personally cannot have the car to stay in the car shop for a longer time cause I have to drive a lot (45.000km/28.000miles per year) and I could not afford to pay a lot for any repairs, besides the cost for insurance and taxes (those are very high here in Austria).
    More and more I think the Accord would be a wiser choice.:Wink: