General Has anyone seen this kind of ICE?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mustnap, Monday 23rd Nov, 2015.

1. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    Just checking if anyone has ever seen this kind of ICE being sold. I would like to know the brand, model name, pricing as well as its capabilities.

tlWx964.

HFjL2uW.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Never seen that before, making custom made. Where did you find the pics ?

3. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

a facebook group for Accord Euro R. the guy who posted the pictures said he has never seen it before - and said the owner (not sure of the guy is in direct contact of the owner) said it is something available in the US.

I thought someone here might have seen something like it.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've not seen one like this one before myself.

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    A very busy looking interior!

6. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah, it has lost the elegance of an Accord :Grin:

I still would like to know what kind of ICE that is. If it has all the new stuff that an ICE should have, would be a good replacement for my ICE (my stock is working fine but i dislike having to use the FM transmitter to play MP3s from my device - and GROM seemed to be on the expensive side since if i add a bit more, i can get a whole new ICE with larger screen and native MP3 support with GPS).

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    He isnt using the stock head unit, I have seen this as a pop up display but the quality of the plastic looked awful.

8. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

what i have seen is this being sold online

70l1PQS.

but the one in the picture i shared above looks very different

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I saw that one in a car I drove past yesterday, almost wanted to stop and ask the driver (complete stranger) if I can check it out LOL

10. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

right now, that one looks very appealing to me. The new version has screen sharing for Android phones - which is awesome as i want to use Waze as GPS alone can sometime get me stuck in a traffic jam.

But i am still doing my research on the best ICE i can get for now. This one i shared looks quite appealing (screensize seemed big).

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    This a custom build. Zoom in on first pic and you can see the tablet''s home button. Looks like a custom install of an Android tablether. I've seen a lot of them detailed on XDA Developers forums. Looks like a good job. Should be possible to replicate if you can find someone to build the custom dash for you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Not many head units will allow proper screen sharing with Android or even Apple *spit* phones. Do research on what mirroring your phone supports and then find a matching head unit. The unit in my car allows full mirroring while also controlling the phone with the head unit,but it's very fiddly. You may want to just try a MHL / Slimport option depending on your phone,as long as you're happy using screen in phone to control phone and just want to have a larger display of what's on your phone screen. This simply requires your headunit to support HDMI in and you connect phone with an MHL / Slimport cable.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Using a double din headunit you could get 6 or maybe 7 inch screen installed. Pictures above look like 7 or maybe 8 inch.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Looks like it could have been done in the same way as this example

DeviateDefiant and mustnap like this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Got home and could see images properly (previous replies were on phone) and you can definitely see that it's a Samsung tablet that's been used. Not a bad looking mod to be honest.... I'd love to find a write-up on it to see what how the owner did.

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I just did a quick check, and saw that on my Pioneer head unit, Waze is one of the supported Apps under Android when in AppRadio Mode. This means you install an app on your phone (AppRadio Mode) and connect our Android phone to the head unit via the USB cable. You can then use the head unit to control and view Waze on your phone, with the display coming out on the head unit.

The Pioneer head unit aren't too expensive, especially if you're going to use your phone for GPS, and they usually look good too.

mustnap likes this.
  14. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much for all the comments and assessments. Can you share with me your headunit setup? Also the exact model number of your unit?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Check his Project Log and Garage @mustnap, info is all in there.

16. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do that. Thanks!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Commenting on the points raised by RogerH69, yes , now i noticed that it looked like a tablet. It is just that the enclosure/bracket made it look like it was a part of the dashboard - and i have never seen such enclosure/bracket being used/sold before.

To use the pioneer unit, i will have to opt for either 1. Metra double din bracket or 2. the bracket for the compartment below the stock headunit.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It must have been custom fabricated @mustnap

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@mustnap - My Stereo is detailed here. I also wrote up a guide on getting the most out of a Pioneer head unit with and Android phone here. The guide will show you how to get full control and mirroring of your phone using the head unit (assuming you have a compatible phone and head unit, AND your phone is rooted). The guide is a bit outdated, but when I got the Pioneer AVH-X8700BT, I did a quick test to confirm it is still valid and works.

Slight correction to what I wrote earlier - latest Pioneer head units support AppRadioLIVE, which is a cutdown, very limited version of AppRadio Mode but only requires one USB cable, whereas AppRadio Mode requires USB connection as well as MHL / SlimPort via HDMI. Depending on what headunit you got, you may need to use my guide if you want to use Waze.

Note I don;t have expereince with headunits from other manufacturers, so you may want to look at different offerings to get a full idea of what is available from who and for how much.

mustnap likes this.
  19. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@mustnap - I just found out that my headunit supports MirrorLink as well. I've never used this, but apparently it lets you mirror the phone (or apps on the phone) on the screen of the headunit, and also control the phone with the headunit. As I now have a Samsung S6, which supports MirrorLink, I'll have a go and see how it works. It may mean I can get the same (or most of) the functionality I'd get from AppRadio mode.

20. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    Here is what OP is looking for:

Here is the video of it in action:

I was close to buying it, but in the end, didn't go for it because I think while it's a neat toy, it looks rather bad from outside (not that some care much), and also may obstruct your view quite a bit because it's not as small and 'neat' as it may look.
    yQN8V2Y.

EDIT: There are few benefits of buying it though. One of them is that it doesn't mess with your AC unit which other aftermarket sat nav and DVD units will do, which may cause your car some Harm and fail to work properly. Secondly, it gives you advantage of you not requiring to buy aftermarket audio cabling so you can play your own music because this device allows you to do that.

I'd 100% buy if it was available in android.

SpeedyGee and mustnap like this.