Fuel Efficiency Has anyone tried Michelin Energy Saver +?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Saturday 11th Jul, 2015.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi

It's near the time to replace my tyres, I am thinking about Michelin Energy Saver +

Has anyone got these on there '07 (ish) Accord Tourer?

Not interested in sport (I live in Jersey 40mph max speed limit) but I am interested in good MPG,safe wet/dry grip, comfort & low noise.

We only go away 2/3 times a year so motorway driving does not happen much!

Thanks in advance.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I used to have these on a car around 8 yrs or so ago. I found then quite hard and noisy but it took forever to wear them down. And they would squeal like mad on a warm day.

Only going on what they used to be like, i imagine over the years they have improved?

Other options i would consider would be the goodyear efficient grip, they are quiet and handle well, the F1s if you fancy spending a bit more or the dunlop bluresponse.

3. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi Nighthawk, when you say consider the F1's, are these the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2?
    Have to say I have gone off all the fuel saving (premium) tyres, they all have had bad reviews, but the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 have excellent reviews -better than Continental & Michelin's equivalent!

Thanks in advance.

4. Nighthawk Guest

I kind of started a bit of a trend i think. Yes the asymettrical f1s. They really are excellent. Get the XL ones for the extra support. If you do a search on the forums, you will see quite a few people recently who have put them on and its changed their cars

@Duc de Pommfrit recently changed his

foxleys likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have these tyres on my milfloat @foxleys and they seem ok nice ride still getting between 56-61MPG so these tyres must be doing a good job.

foxleys likes this.
  6. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    I think you have , maybe you or HK should be on a commission or discount for HK from Good Year!

BTW, I have just found out that F1's aren't available for my tyre size - 205/55/R16/V/91, according to the Good Year Web site.

I'm now in a nose dive again as to which brand/version to fit!

But I think I will get Good Year EfficientGrip Performance..............TBA!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't use Goodyears and not indened to do it quite frankly, Happy with my Japanese brands. So they take the commisiion and stick it.

8. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    My commission comment was just meant as a light heated joke, BTW. No more / no less, Not intended to offend anyone.

Ichiban, please could you clarify which brand of tyre you ment when you say your "milfloat" uses them and seems ok.

Many thanks.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My comments on commission weren’t a joke mate :rasta:, I have Michelin Energy Saver + on my milkfloat.

foxleys likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

The efficient grips are good tyres as well, Il be getting them on the Civic when I change tyres in a few months

foxleys likes this.
  11. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Dunlop blueresponses are probably one of the quietest tyres out there. Definitely worth a look.

foxleys likes this.
  12. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I have Dunlop Blue Responses all round on my 6th Generation Accord. Nice soft ride, quiet and very grippy in wet and dry. Highly recommended

Phil

13. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    One thing to bear in mind with softer riding tyres (like the Dunlop's, (and the Michelin Latitudes on my CR-V as well come to think of it) is that they have a lower tread wear rating. Apparently the tread does not last as long, especially if you do hard, fast cornering etc and clock up a lot of pacy A and B road driving. Motorways no problem, gentle driving no problem. My CR-V has now done 10K miles in 2.5 years with sensible A and B road driving and fast Motorway driving, and the tread has only worn down 1mm from the original 8mm when new. I have seen plenty of reviews of these tyres where people complain they only get 5K or 8K or 12K before they are worn out, but I suspect their driving habits. No doubt soon in the future the same will be coming from Dunlop Blue Response users, but I have had mine on the Accord now for one year and the tread is only a tiny bit down (whilst I do admit to only having done 3K miles in it - I do enjoy throwing it around a bit because it feels so good, and these tyres complement the handling and ride so well).

In any event if you are in Jersey, limited to 40mph, and won't be doing huge mileages I think the comfy, soft, quiet, grippy Dunlops are an ideal choice

Phil

foxleys likes this.
  14. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Many thanks Phil P, I really appreciate your hints and tips.

As I do only 4/5k a year, I am going to live with the new tyres for 4/5 years, unless I win the lottery!

So, I want to make a good decision, currently my car has Sava (budget) tyres, which the guy fitted to the car just before I bought it about 3 years ago, can't say I am very impressed with these, but have grown used to them.

15. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    I used michelin energy saver tyre on my old car for about 6 years. Very high quality tyre, designed for fuel economy and long life.

If you want the best buy either yokohma or michelin. When you see the finishing of these tyre compared to Dunlop or Goodyear you will understand why they cost more and are better.

foxleys likes this.
  16. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got the Goodyear Eagle F1 A2s on mine. They seem to handle well (even with my spirited driving) and they look nice too.

I never fit cheapo brands, especially not on cars I care about.

I can't remember what the link is but there's a tyre review website you should check out. It's just got reviews of specific tyres by the car owners, might help you to decide?

foxleys likes this.
  17. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd say Michelin are on a par with Goodyear. Yokos are expensive and good but aren't exactly known for long wear rates lol

foxleys likes this.
  18. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What makes you think Michelin and Yokohama are so better then Goodyear Assymetric F1 tyres?Have you tried Goodyear?

I have had all of them on my cars.
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Yokohama Advan Sport v103
    Yokohama Advan Sport v105
    and they were all superb tyres but my current Goodyear Eagle F1 are just as good.

foxleys likes this.
  19. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    img019. img013. img020. img021. img022.

Accord_N22, Nighthawk and foxleys like this.
  20. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Thanks for all your help all!

Tyres are 20/40% cheaper in the UK mainland (depending of where bought & how big the outfit is you are buying from) so I will get 4 tyres early next month from one of the tyre shops in Ringwood. Also we don't have VAT in Jersey, so I am going to try & recover this!

Many thanks all again.

I will let you know which I go for in a few weeks.........................