General Have I Made A Mistake ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaytip, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm enjoying the new car but reading about DPF issues on this forum has now got me wondering if I should have bought a petrol model instead.
    My wife is the main driver of the car and it will be doing well under 10k a year. I bought the diesel with a view to future values, but now I'm worried that if I get repeated DPF issues,any money I make in better residuals will be lost in repair bills. :Frown:
  2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Time will tell i suppose.Diesel really need motorway driving regularly to keep DPF clean.
    You might be lucky and have no issues at all.
    10k a year i would bought a petrol,used to own diesel myself and changed to petrol due to low mileage and lots of city driving.
  3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's my fault for not doing my homework. I used to own a 7th Generation EX diesel and that was used for short journeys and it was faultless, but of course that didn't have a DPF (at least I don't think it did, lol)
  4. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

7th Generation never had DPF,owned one myself before swapping for petrol.
    Just give it blast down the motorway now and then and hopefully it will be ok.Fingers crossed
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    No point worrying about a problem that hasn't occurred yet, just enjoy the car my friend :Smile:

As Zoran says give it a spirited blast down motorway every now and then.
  6. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi jaytip only advise I can give about the DPF is explain this to your wife show her the warning light and explain under no circumstances turn the engine off if this appears and give it a blast on bypass/motorway and like mentioned above every so often give it a blast on motorway treat wife and take to the coast every so often , and just check with your dealer if you have latest update, I've done a lot of research now on this and drivers are getting the warning light.
  7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10k a year petrol is better, plus you'd get the lovely VTEC howl at high revs.

Euro emissions laws and DPFs are turning diesels into high mileage drivers cars only.

Petrol Accords are cheaper to buy also.
  8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Rhinogolf is right here: in case the first warning light comes up just keep on driving, and indeed you should not worry about an issue that didn't come up yet.
    Also: 10k/year doesn't say it all. What is of more imortance: the drivecycles. Exegerated, but just imagine you drive those 10k/year in 4 big trips (e.g. holidays): nothing wrong with a diesel.
    Consider that the DPF troubles you read about here is an extremely small % of the diesels in UK. And there's a huge number of members (vast majority) that have no issues at all with DPF.
    I know quite some people in Belgium owning CR-V's or Accords with DPF and not driving regularly on highway: not the slightest issue in many years.
    Enjoy your drive mate. And have a nice end of year!
    Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Use the correct grade of oil when changing oil as well topping the engine up with oil.

Topping up with the wrong grade makes matters worse. Jay just enjoy the car with the advise given you should be fine, don't get a DPF delete they are illegal and will soon be caught on VOSA test on MOT.
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

10k miles doesnt automatically mean petrol is better.

9000 out of those 10000 miles could all be motorway for which diesel will slap petrol into next week.

Depends on what your wife is doing - mixed runs, short stop starts or long motorway/dual carriageway journeys.
  11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes you've made a HUGE mistake.... I will gladly swap you for my 7th Generation ICTDI :Wink: Lol :Wink:

On a serious note just enjoy it mate and as everyone else says when the light comes on take it for a long run.

Personally I was thinking I'd made a huge mistake when I bought my 7th Generation diesel after reading everything on the net but touch wood she's not been too bad.
  12. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I shouldn't worry too much as Honda diesel engines seem to be bomb proof. I have just changed my Accord Tourer ICTDI that I bought new in March 2004. It was still like a new car when I exchanged it for my CR-V a few weeks ago. I have read lots of posts about problems with diesel engines but my Accord was perfect. I hope my CR-V will be the same.
  13. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for you thoughts guys,some good advise given. I have already shown the wife the regen symbol and told her to take it down the motorway if it comes on.We did that the other day, i drove the car for 25 minutes with the revs at about 3250.Is that overkill? it just seemed so wrong to me to have a diesel engine at those sort of revs on a motoway,lol.
    Regards the wife's usage of the car,it is pretty much all town driving with the occasional motorway jaunt to Cardiff or Swansea (about 20 mins on the motorway in either direction)

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If its any consolation, I do tons of stop-start driving on the weekend and in the near two years I have had the Accord, I have NEVER had the regen issue.

Hi revs are good for the engine so don't be afraid to thrape it a bit now and again in a low gear. Its not a Vauxhall or Ford :Smile:
  15. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Lets do the maths on this my I-CTDI costs me in town traffic and York is bad for traffic 15p a mile have not worked out on the I-DTEC my volvo V70 D5 cost me 19p a mile your petrol will do at the best 22p a mile and i would say it does 25p a mile,
    So based on 10k of mileage at 7p a mile difference if we say yours does 22p a mile this is a cost off £700 in fuel per year, if yours costs 25p a mile thats 1grand more in fuel a year. so its still a no brainer to me.
    Now lets work out my taxi I-CTDI had 46k on clock when i got it will pass the 200k by end of this week. so in 3yrs I've put on 154k so we times that by 7p a mile based on a petrol that costs 22p a mile I've saved £10.740 which is the best any petrol does in york & thats a 1.8 mondeo don't get me wrong I've had problems with the I-CTDI mostly down to me remapping it but if i took into account 2 clutches 2 dualmass flywheels 1 timing chain=£3400 VSA module replaced by Honda uk i paid labour £200 manifold replaced by Honda extended warranty im still £7.140 up on having a petrol so imagine if i had listened to these guys on the forum and not had a remap i would be quids in.
    When i put the I-DTEC on as taxi i can't see me having any problems with the DPF as you mentioned on a thread i started regarding the DPF earlier last week and if i do I've got over 10k to play with over the 3yrs i keep a car.Do i need to go on
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If you do taxi work then yes diesel is best as you say. Completely agree.

How much did your diesel Accord cost? Most equivalent age and mileage diesels are at least around 20% more to buy than a 2.0 petrol. The fuel saving over my 3 years ownership would only just cover that, plus I take away the risk of expensive diesel repairs.

So for me petrol is best. I just don't like seeing the average driver that doesnt know too much about cars, buying a diesel and getting shafted when it blows up, because they don't do their homework and just listen to hearsay about diesel economy.

I'm not anti-diesel, I used to have a Golf TDi, it was great, but that was before DMFs and DPFs made it even more complex and costly to repair.

Happy New year.
  17. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i only do about 6k a year and my car can be sat on the drive monday to friday but at weekends i can easly clock up alot of miles