General Have modern cars moved on in the last 10 years?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by philoldsmobile, Tuesday 30th Apr, 2013.

1. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been out with my area manager today, doing site meetings. Her company car is a 61 plate Audi A3 TDi which she has had from new. The Audi is noticeably noisier, rougher and generally quite cheap feeling after my 6th Generation accord. I know Audis are highly over rated, but I was very surprised this £24,000 car was noticeably deficient compared to my £995 137,000 mile Honda. Is the Honda really that good, or is the Audi just a poor quality car? The Audi creaked like a pensioners bones, too.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is nothing new its known in all quarters Germans are renowned for making world best substandard cars, so hardly surprising is it ..:Happy:

the acid test will soon become in the shape of euro 6 emissions we will see which manufacturer can solve the drastic emission issue. The remapping business what will happen to them I wonder.

3. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Cars peaked for me in the late 90s early 00's before they added all the electric shit and driver aids.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally I don't think so , I would say they are getting better (Honda) rest can take a running jump:Smile: . I don't want to sound anti diesel but in terms of Honda ,the diesel have taken a battering in reliability stakes were the petrol has flatlined in its history from the conception of the Honda motor company with consistent graph with minor pikes.

For proof this dealership in the 1990 http://hondakarma.com/posts/20885/

Its banter not a dig at diesel owners don't pm me moaning you feel victimised. :Wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agree with you that before diesels,Honda workshops would be quiet enough. Honda petrols just don't go wrong.

I think the 90's were great for cars ( Japanese ). Even more so in the Japanese sports cars.

Evo's Impreza celica NSX supra..........

6. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    I'd say 99% of modern diesels are pap,regardless of make. Modern emissions standards and what people want from them will always mean they are compromised in my opinion. Petrols won't be far behind going forward.there's just too much to go wrong on them.more so going forward.

7. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think some of the problem with diesel is so much money goes to r+d that the quality of the end product can be very poor.
    Compared to other car makers Honda are well ahead i think.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Petrol are now going into direct injection (Earth Dreams)with dual clutch setup.Honda has years and years of experience in this area, combine that KERS technology and 4th generation IMA you are reaching the stratosphere of petrol development. Honda can easily tweak this set up till kingdom come and pass all world emission regulation the only thing which will stop them is the phasing out of petroleum based fuels t .. won't happen in our lifetime..

I have to agree the 90's was the golden era for Honda engineering relentless.The success on all motorsports and world first technologies was staggering, till this date I say thank to Mr Nobuhiko Kawamoto the visionary who made Honda a powerhouse in the 90's.

if it wasn't for him we would have been driving IMA milk floats in the late 80's.

As for diesel owners consider moving to petrol with Euro 6 comes you know it ISNT going to be an easy transition.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh god they are they are way ahead of the rest I wish they made the awareness of this to near and dear enthusiasts to spread the word... aka us but they won't as I don't like Swindon that another story.

However is saying that the French have some diesel tweaks which are superior but their final execution to actual production cars is another thing..