General Have you ever......................

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heckler, Monday 8th Feb, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, here's one for those silly and embarrassing moments of car ownership.

Have you ever owned a car for ages, and then discovered it has a feature that you never knew about?

I've got several... last week I found that my Accord Tourer EX has not two, but three 12v sockets... the one by the ashtray, one in the boot by the light and last Weds I discovered there is another one with a cover in the centre console storage bin. I've only owned the car since last June/July and never noticed it before in spite of the number of times I am putting stuff in and out of it.

My old car was a Mondeo saloon Ghia X.... for the first 7 months of ownership I thought it had rear seats that didn't fold because I could find no button on the seats to fold them down. Then whilst on a holiday in Norfolk I was getting the wheelchair out of the boot and had to reach right to the back, and as I was halfway in/out I kinda looked up and saw a pull rod of some sort... I pulled it, heard a click and the back of the seat came free and could be folded flat... If you knew the amount of times I had to crawl in that boot to retrieve stuff... you'd understand why the air turned blue for a few moments.

Finally... after having an import MX6 for 2yrs, I figured out what the extra button was for on the front foglight switch. On a UK model, it was a simple switch, but on some imports it was divided in half, one turned them on... the other lit up but seemed to do nothing. Until one night I had accidentally turned both on whilst only having my sidelights on... and as I was turning a corner I thought I saw the light pattern in front of the car shift... Sure enough it had and I found that the foglights would turn with the steering to illuminate the road better in foggy conditions... Only took me the better part of 2yrs to find that out.

Garrydhu, exec and legend-ary like this.
  2. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    HAHA
    just goes to show how much junk they put on cars these day that you don't actually need

Heckler and exec like this.
  3. KIrby Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I once owned an older model Chrysler Town and Country van and I had it at least 6 months before I realized I didn't have to use the key every single time to open the hatch. I did not know that it had a button on the inside of the back handle that would push in when you lift it and open the hatch as long as it was unlocked. One day my brother did this and opened it without the key and I was like "How'd you do that?" Teeheehee. Silly me!

Heckler likes this.
  4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Ahhh more cases of RTFM ! ( read the f-ing manual lol )
    While still at school some of us with good paper rounds bought our first mechanical marvels. 1976 Yamaha FSIE ! Only one pal could never keep up with us on main roads at the dizzy speeds of 35 mph.It only by chance many weeks later us bikers were having a chat, sharing a no. 6 , when someone mentioned 4th gear, Four gears ! He said thought they only had three. True story !

KIrby, Heckler, cat-guy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need em mate
    Surely more sockets are a good thing , here come the lecture now :professor:

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Took me around 6 months after I bought my Accord to realise it had heated front seats, the switch for them in are right at the back of the middle center console and in such an awkward place from the front that I never noticed them, nor do I use them since discovery, so havent made much of a difference!

Also took me a while to discover a weather temperature gauge on the trip computer and finally took me best parts of 2 years to discover that the boot button on my remote fob was for actually opening the boot and not unlocking it, I used to always wonder what its purpose was because when you press on it does nothing, then someone posted on another forum that you have to press and hold down for a few seconds and then it remotely opens the boot, lo and behold when I tried it worked and I was mesmerised :shock: have been using it to open the boot ever since!

Heckler and legend-ary like this.
  7. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    You need help

legend-ary likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So mean :Sobbing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh yeh just remembered that I recently discovered the bass setting on the Bose tape deck after 5 years of ownership, now the sub at back booms to certain tunes :Grin:

Heckler, legend-ary and Garrydhu like this.
  9. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Yep,me the miserable bast,,d
    More help needed

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm sorry I just don't really use much toys or look out for them, theres probably other things that I've never touched, the steering wheel, gear stick and pedals are all that matters. :vtec:

vincemince and Garrydhu like this.
  11. SaraJane Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I borrowed my aunt's car for a couple of weeks one time. I had no idea that you had to hold the break down when you were taking it out of park. I was trying to leave for school and I couldn't get it to go into drive. I called her on my cell in a total panic that I had messed something up in her car. She laughed and told me what to do. Her car was a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus. I have never had that happen in any other car, so I don't know if that is a feature of that model or if the car was defective. She sold it about 6 months later.

exec likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's quite a common feature. If you are moving out of Park you're normally moving into a Reverse or Forward gear (usually Reverse) so it makes sense to be ready on the stop pedal to stop the car lurching back or forth.

exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh most automatics I know, well older ones anyway, you have to depress the brake pedal to change gears, not just from park but even from reverse to a forward gear.

14. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Think that applies to most yank style autos where the shifters on the steering column. I learnt the apparently now old fashioned way of only using my right foot so had to always keep foot on brake as the car would creep forwards/reverse. I don't think modern ones do that ?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Forgot to say there's plenty of videos of - have you ever left your yank running in neutral ? Its funny when they slip into drive and run round and round in circles on their own at 20 odd mph !
    On the flat my old Buick would reach 30 just on tick over, highly dangerous.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    It wasn't my car but I was asked to bring the car out of a tight spot for someone. It was an Auris Hybrid and I kid you not, it took me well over 5 minutes to actually get the car to reverse. The gear lever was actually a Joystick and was in no shape or form had any mechanical linkage from what I could tell.. I still don't know how I ended up making it reverse but I don't want a car where I have to learn to reverse!

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I don't think its just yank models, my dads driven Autos for much of his life, his three previous Accords all needed the brake depressed to change lever, same with the Volvo he had and same with the newish Kia he has now. I have also driven new cars with the same mechanism such as a Golf, and also a Yaris with CVT box, although I'm not sure on the Yaris as I may have depressed the brake pedal out of habit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    They have CVT boxes so it should be mechanically connected, but who knows with modern cars these days, if it has an electronic parking brake that might have caused problems, I had issues with them in a Golf, so did my uncle who couldn't reverse it as the EPB wouldn't disengage!

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I don't what it was but it was irritating.. the lever looked like this
    GreyPartImage_3e73a587-913b-4091-a14e-d315fd683c2a.

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ah never seen that on Toyota's before, different to the Haris Hybrid, so must be an electronic gearstick like you said then. The software probably crashed when you were trying to change :tut: