General Having bodywork repaired with filler

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Tuesday 14th Apr, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Would you do it?

While back I got some qoutes from a local body place to respray rear bumper for £120, side skirts for £15, wheels for £30 each and then a bit of scuff damage on rear wing he said he would use filler to repair it then spray the whole wing all the way to front doors where there is some theft damage, I am unsure on using filler, seems like cheating and taking the metal purity of the car away, but I need to get these sorted before they start rusting and car is look messy these days want it looking tip top? Shall I just get it fillered and repaired?

Also are the prices reasonable? It would be around £400 in total for rear bumper respray, side skirts colour coded, alloys refurbed , two wings repaired and resprayed.

Also worried about colour matching,, but he says they would blend in well.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Without completely replacing panels, some bodyfiller use is to be expected. Now doubt they will pull the panel as straight as possible, rub it down, treat with anti rust treatment and then apply some filler just to help even out the surface.

Done right I can't see any issues with it at all.

Price wise, it all sounds very reasonable.

Colour matching and blending are again nothing to worry about, if done correctly.

Sound like what you should do is ask this place to show you samples of work that they have done which is similar to yours. They should have some cars in there they have just been completed or are near completion, you can judge for yourself then the quality of their work.

Last edited: Tuesday 14th Apr, 2015
    exec likes this.
  3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks man thats very reassuring to hear, was worried about rust protection aswell, but if they put treatment on then it should be fine. Main concern was that the scuffs are not very deep or bad so seemed a bit excessive to just fill them in as opposed to panel beat them, but they aren't exactly in the most accessible areas, like the one on the roof pillar.

They have a facebook page full of their work and it looks like they do good work and have good reviews, they also got the hunter machine so i can get the car alignment checked.

This is some examples: VG Car Cosmetic Salon LTD - Auto body shop - Photos | Facebook

Seems good enough?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Seem to be pretty decent standard of work that.

What's your thoughts @Nighthawk ?

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Il be home in 30 mins and il reply properly then but it seems perfectly reasonable and normal practice. Give me 30 mins and il reply properly

6. Nighthawk Guest

@exec - there are a few ways to repair damaged metal work when it is in a tight space or when the inner skin is close to it. A common way, is to drill holes in the metal, insert screws, and then use a pull hammer to pull the metal out, you then remove the screws, fill the holes and paint etc. This is a very common method. They should try to restore as much of the metal back as possible because layering on thick bodyfiller is a recipe for cracking. With metal, you can guarentee a small amount of body filler will be used as this is the only way to guarentee a perfect finish.

As for your bumper and skirts, it depends on the level of damage. They are plastic so if the damage is light, they can use a heatgun to mold it back into place, if there are scuffs, they will sand the scuffs down flat, use special plastic filler which is flexible, can take a hit, and expands with the plastic.

Red is a very hard colour to blend in, especially metallic. The difficulty arises as our eyes sees differences in red much easier than most other colours for some reason - not sure why to be honest. Blending it in is the best way to confuse the eye so it doesnt see the repaired area.

It sounds to me like they are going to do a proper job. I know of brand new cars that arent even on the forecourts that are panel beated to remove dents caused during the shipping process.

Removing the surface rust is fine, they will grind it down to bare metal and protect it with anti rust treatment. If they do it properly, the rust won't come back as surface rust is just that, it hasnt changed the molecular structure of the metal yet. This is why, when a panel is properly rusted, you can never fully treat it, rust changes the molecular structure of the metal which means it is like cancer, it will just keep coming back. Surface rust removal is easy and perfectly fine to fix

Sounds like she will be in good hands. If it bothers you too much, ask them the process they are going to use to repair it. They should tell you.

exec, SpeedyGee and Chunkylover53 like this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Great reply once again from the community, cheers man that is very useful info! :Drinks:

I'm gonna go ahead and book it in after I service it in the few weeks. The bumper in general is in good condition, its just got scuff marks from people who can't park properly and my car is left parked throughout the weekday but I park on another road now away from the idiots who park on the old road I used to park on, so hopefully it won't reoccur once it is resprayed! The side skirts I just want to color code, they come black from factory, main worry is of course having those rear wings both resprayed just for a small area of damage, one of the side just has damage from some theft attempt on the drivers side roof pillar where someone has put a screwdriver in and bent the metal in a bit, otherwise the paint on the car in general is superb so a bit disconcerting having them resprayed. But if these guys do a good job then hopefully it should be ok.

Thanks again guys. :Hey:

8. Nighthawk Guest

It sounds a bit crazy to think that they have to do so much painting for such a small amount of damage, but if you want it done correctly, thats the way it needs to be done. Basically, with metallic paint, the glistening effect comes from metallic particles within the paint. Depending on how the panel was originally painted will result in how those flakes now lie in the paint and reflect. If it is not blended in correctly, the flakes from the new paint will almost certainly land in a different way and you will see it from a mile away, especially being red, or dark blue. So they need to blend it in to ensure that the particles fall in the same way and blend in with other panels. It then confuses your eye to make it seem like it is seemless.

If they just painted the damaged area, being metallic, you would see if from a mile away.

Let us know how you get on, but they seem like they are going to do a good job.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ah that makes sense, didn't really know thats how the paintwork worked and what exactly blending involved!

I was hoping they could just "SMART" repair that small area, but I guess that is why they said the whole panel have to be painted.

Cheers for the advice, I will document the before and after when I get this done, hopefully mid next month!

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Such is the perils of being indecisive, i'm having second thoughts on all of this, I would be close to spending 1k on the car with the cosmetic work, new exhaust and servicing parts, I'm contemplating whether to scrap the car as its worth nothing and get a 7th Generation Accord which I have a real hankering for or a Subaru Legacy.

But hand on heart I would literally cry if I ever got rid of this car as I love it like a pet, but I do fancy something different and a bit more powerful, if only I had the space to keep two cars.

Not sure what to do....:Ermm:

11. Nighthawk Guest

SMART repairs arent that good really - they are only normally guarenteed for a couple of years if you are lucky due to the technology they use - its more a short term covering up thing rather than designed for longegivity.

I must say, if I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't do it (fix your car), unless it has huge sentimental value. If you can afford it, just go for a petrol 7th Generation. Ever driven a legacy? They are horrid interiors

exec likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Never driven a Legacy but I have been in the 4th Generation which is the one I am looking at and really liked it, its good nice materials and well screwed together. The only issue with these are the 2.0 is underpowered and slower than my current Accord, the 2.5 has a chocolate engine and the 3.0 will be expensive to run and hard to find. I can't think of any other alternative cars, other cars I want is too impractical, like Preludes and would be more suited as a second car.

I have had a look at the 7th Generation Accord this morning and why is there so little cars and they are so expensive. The oldest are now 13 years old yet they are still commanding 3k for high mileage example, some really tatty looking ones, and I can't even find a 2.4 Type-S. The facelifted ones are 6-7k, which is too pricey for me, budget would be 4k, don't want to spend tons of money on old car.

My main concern with the 7th Generation is I drove one a long time ago and never liked the steering as it felt detached and more like an EPS, and from what one or two 6th Generation owners have said they find it less fun to drive than the 6th Generation.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Funny you should liken it to having EPS - mine gives me quite good feedback and I can feel what the tyres are doing under her - to be fair though, that might be the tyres themselves. On the Civic, when I got her, the cheapo tyres on the front gave no feeling of feedback whatsoever, since putting the old Accords bridgestones on her, the feedback is back again.

You are right though, even "cheap" 7th gens are expensive for what they are.

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You could probably get them to give feedback by getting good tyres and perhaps some suspension tweaks too and in all fairness my drive was very brief, but it felt a lot lighter and artificial like EPS, i thought they were EPS until someone on a another forum mentioned they were hydraulic.

The 7th Generation must have appreciated over the year as the Accord has been discontinued because around a year ago there were loads more on sale and they were cheaper. The high prices just make a little more difficult to make a decision.

15. Nighthawk Guest

I still love my 7th Generation although I am seriously considering getting an 8th Generation at some point this year, just for an upgrade. A quick look on honda used cars shows an 07 2.0 for 6.5k with 32k on the clock.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Although, this is a nice Type-S - still though, its 6k

Vehicle View - Honda Accord 2.0i VTEC Type-S Saloon - Tyne Wear

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Those are really nice, but too expensive and only the 2.0, the 7th Generation seem to hold their value really well! I would want to spend max 4k and maybe another 1k doing some customisation to it.

I've been looking at alternatives to the 7th Generation era, and there really is very little if at all any cars that can tick all the boxes an Accord does.

Audi A4 - Passat in posh frocks, small and horribly bland in every way, plus its still an Audi.
    BMW 3 series - Look decent, drives well, poor quality, unreliable, and only the bigger engines are worth considering. its also a BMW.
    Ford Mondeo - Looks like a builders car, good to drive, cheap and poor quality and unreliable.
    French brigade - None have any redeeming features so not even worth considering
    Hyundai/Kia - Tend to be reliable, but nasty in every other way
    Lexus - Very bland, realible, top notch quality, but its still bland and its a Lexus.
    Mazda6 - Looks nice, drives very well, but rust like mad, and quality is so and so and lots of Ford parts bin on it.
    Mercedes C class - Pretentious looks, rubbish to drive, lot of quality and reliability issues and its a Merc which I loathe.
    Nissan - don't do any suitable alternatives, plus basically half Renaults.
    Saab 9-3 - Basically a Vauxhall Vectra, no thanks.
    Subaru Legacy - 2.0 is underpowered, 2.5 unreliable, 3.0 expensive, love the looks, good quality, good to drive, and something different, always liked Subarus.
    Subaru Impreza - Small, non Turbo models are average and expensive for what they are, cheap interior.
    Toyota Avensis - Zzzz but generally reliable, leave them to the cabbies.
    VW Passat - The definition of blandness, not even reliable
    Vauxhall Vectra - Just a hateful little car, rather have my nails pulled out!
    Volvo S60 - Looks great, classy, but reliability is so and so and expensive to run, not a dynamic car to drive.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a tough choice, Glass value on our cars is £450 (checked a while back) - that's the figure the insurance firms will use so depending on your excess the car could be worth nothing in the event of an accident (or -£50 in my case!). If you sell it, I'm sure that a car kept as well as yours will fetch a value close to £1000 with a bit of patience though.

If it were my car I'd skip the cosmetics and exhaust and keep it till something major goes wrong. Then again 7th gens aren't going to depreciate much further anytime soon and if anything the supply of peaches will dry up as they get older.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Then again I've just checked my excel file and I spent £2400 since I got my car 2 years ago (£4100+ if you include insurance, £6600 with petrol ). Still nowhere near 7th Generation budget but I guess what I'm trying to say is if you've already spent £x to future proof the car then why give it up while its still good, mechanically at least.

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It would take ages to sell this at 1k, on current condition its more like a £500 car as the rear bumper is a mess, every time I go to the car theres another mark on the bumper, that along with the exhaust makes the car seem like a banger and its looking rather tatty, the cat theft really messed this car up, otherwise I would not even contemplate changing, plus the gearbox has become notchy again, not sure if its the gearbox or just the clutch not engaging properly, but it really gripes me sometimes as it goes into the wrong gear, i.e instead of smoothly going into 3rd its going into 5th and i have to ham fist it into 5th.

To be honest spending 1k isn't a massive issue, its not a lot of money and for that I know I will have a car thats freshened up and has a lot of life left in it, so long as the gearbox isn't a terminal issue, its only got 85k on the clock, buts its just whether putting the 1k and getting newer car that looks a whole lot better and is more modern would be a better option. I've had this car for nearly 5 years and i'm getting old, wondering if its time to change and try some other stuff out.

I think i've spent around 1k on this car in the 4-5 years of ownership, half of which was on two exhausts, the rest on service items and brakes and the oil leak, oh and some small bits and bobs, I've wasted more money on clothes that i have bought and never worn and ended up giving away for free! But I would say I invested a bit into this, I've still got lots of parts and tools I bought for this waiting to be used and fitted. You've given me some food for thought actually hmmm....

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know what you mean, it's always the corner that gets scratched so I've just resorted to using a spray can every time.
    Got a similar issue with mine, reverse refuses to engage sometimes. Probably better to check the gearbox and then decide on spending 1k on various bits and bobs. Also, even if you're parking away from idiots, they will find you which could make the bodywork redundant. Then again that's going to be an issue with any car you get.

Not sure where I was going with my responses but I look forward to whatever you do.

exec likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ I've always had the reverse issue too, really annoying when you wanna do a quick 3 point turn and spend an eternity trying to get into reverse, again though I think its a clutch issue as I tend to change gear very quickly and sometime don't press the clutch in all the way, well I hope it is, when I last changed the fluid it really improved things, so I may do it again and as you say inspect it and make sure there isnt anything wrong with the gearbox before throwing money at other things, so going to check the gear linkages and the clutch forks are all greased up properly.

and yeh true with the parking, I park on another road now, it still happens, although not as often as before, and thats what puts me off spending too much on a car, you can buy a lovely car for 7-8k, but round my ends, give it 2 weeks and the car will look like its been in a warzone, if I had a driveway or something I wouldn't hesitate in spending a few bob on a 7th Generation, heck I could keep both these cars, but can't justify spending so much on car that will for most parts sit parked up on the road as I don't commute with the car so do very little miles.

Cheers for the responses guys, it helps a lots and reaffirms some of my own thoughts too.

So I think what I will do is service the car, as it needs a service regardless of what I do with the car, then inspect the exhaust and see if I can repair it so I can get my moneys worth from it rather than whacking out a load of cash on a new exhaust. Then check the gearbox thoroughly, do another oil change on it and grease up some bits, it squeaks on on the slave fork! If those two solve the issues then I think I will go ahead with the bodywork and perhaps see where my feelings are at in a years times.