Electrical & Lights Headlamp adjustment

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Navrig, Monday 16th May, 2016.

1. Navrig Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    We are heading to France over the summer. Our last car (SAAB95) had an adjuster bolt which redirected the headlamps for Euro driving.

Does the CR-V have something similar?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Interesting, so how does that work when the headlight pattern is fixed on the lens ?

3. Navrig Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    Not sure. All I know is that there was a hex bolt above each headlamp and if I turned it in a particular direction for a number of rotations the angle was sufficiently adjusted to drive in France. On return I reversed the process. Typically the instructions were taken from SAABScene or similar. It passed all MOTs thereafter so didn't seem to have any impact. When we drove at night in France were never flashed.

4. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    On my Volvo XC60 you could set them up via on board preferences, and switch from Miles to Kil's. Maybe Honda can do it via the on board Comp.

Navrig likes this.
  5. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

On my X type Jag there was a lever inside each front light cluster. One was pointing down and the other up. All you had to do was reverse the direction of both levers and the "wings" which lit up the hedges disappeared and the dip beam had a flat cut off line.

Navrig likes this.
  6. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The HID headlights in the current model can't be adjusted for European driving. The owner's brick states it's suitable for driving across Europe, but it looks to me that the lights are biased towards driving on the left and on several occasions I've had cars flash when driving at night in mainland Europe.

7. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    And did you have them on AUTO? I haven't been flashed much in UK (bearing in mind that mine is LHD), but I have noticed that once I override the AUTO to go onto full beam it takes some time to go back onto AUTO. Also, remember that over here flashing lights can either be "Hello" to someone you think you recognise or a warning that Smokey is just round the corner with a speed trap.

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Generally I use headlight assist, but issue wasn't a result of full beam being on. If you flash and hold the stalk for a second or two, this toggles between headlight assist on/off.

9. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    As I am currently in France and one of my stick on headlight beam thingys has fallen off (listed on the pack as suitable for 2013 on Honda CR-Vs) I have been reading the brick for info. As Lisbon rightly says, the information is that on European models the headlights are suitable for left and right hand driving. However, this is under a side note regarding HID headlights so I am now unsure whether it applies to my ordinary SE lights. As usual, consulting the brick leaves me even more confused!
    Pete C :beer

10. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

image. @FR-V here's the page from the brick for halogen headlights on latest model.

FR-V likes this.
  11. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks Lisbon, I have seperate projector type dipped beam lights and normal looking full beam lights so I wouldn't know where to stick the tape!
    That info is not in my version of the brick either.

Pete C.

12. Navrig Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    The mystery seems to deepen.

Our handbook states that there is no need for adjustment as it is a European model.

The dealer who sold me the car has told me we need to affix something like these
    AA Shop | Headlamp Beam Converters
    but when I look at the headlamps there is no apparent reference point needed to make sure the converter is in the right place. Usally this is a circle with a cross.

My headlamps do not look like the picture posted by Lisbon nor does my handbook have that particular page.

I have bought a set of converters and I'll take some black masking tape with us but I'll leave them as normal and hope we don't get stopped. I'll probably take them of "Auto" too.

Given that this is a dedicated Honda forum and we can't seem to get a firm answer I am pretty disappointed with Honda. They can't give categoric advice where you would expect it and their dealers seem no better informed.

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    It's not just Honda either. We bought a new Mazda MX5 in 2001 which had similar projector headlamps and when we were about to take it to tour France we asked about converters. We were told you couldn't do anything with them so turn them down to the lowest setting and they should be OK!

Pete C, in a caravan, in France, in a thunderstorm. :depressed: Bugger!

Navrig likes this.