Guides headlamps

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by flyerphil, Friday 23rd Aug, 2013.

1. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My headlamps are very cloudy/dirty thinking of replacement. Is it an easy DIY job? Any guides on this forum?

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Wet sand them if they are bad and then as said a good rubbing compound should sort them out - and some elbow grease :Smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  4. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys for the advice. Didn't know you could do that. I will have a go this weekend - much cheaper than new headlights.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can vouch for the Amazon 3M kit, used it a month ago and it worked perfectly. Got photos if you want :Smile:

6. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I had a go last night and used scouring sponge initially and then some metal polish - "Duraglit" and the results is excellent. They were a horrible scruffy yellow colour before, now they are clear and bright and look 10 times better.

I was all set to replce them. So thanks for the tip, simple really when you think about it

7. d'accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just done mine; one thing I noticed is that where the washers hit the lens they have either washed off the protective coating or left a limescale deposit - either way, T-cut won't shift it so need to get rougher. BTW I've found that if you do get harsh on these lenses and remove the coating you'll need to re-do the polishing every 6 months or so.
    Cheers