Headlight adjustments and possible HID conversion?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by G12, Tuesday 2nd Oct, 2012.

1. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Hi everyone,

I've had my Accord tourer for about 5 days now and I was wondering how to adjust the headlights. It appears rather a black art. I find that I'd like the dipped beam a little higher (not much) and the main beam quite a bit higher so it doesn't point at the tarmac infront of the car and illiminates distant objects instead. I have found the headlight adjustment knob on the dash and turned it to the fully up position already.
    I have the projector headlamps for dipped beam and not xenons which brings me on to my next question.
    Has anyone fitted an HID conversion kit to an 8th Generation Accord before? The dipped beam headlights look an absolute nightmare to change. The guy at the dealers said that you have to remove the headlight assembly but there was an unofficial way in by peeling back the wheel arch liner. I'd like to fit an HID conversion kit for dipped beam. Yes I know they're frowned upon these days but I find it much easier at night with them rather than standard bulbs but I don't fancy having to take the front of the car apart for every MOT!

G.

EDIT: I was also wondering about Canbus issues with the HID kits. Anyone got any experience of this?

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi G12
    Dip beam is in the manual I think. I had same problem as you but just up grade the bulbs with ring ultra much much better.

There are quite recent threads ibm 7th Generation i think do a search on the HID replacements but remember they are not legal for road use.

The main beam is set far to low for my liking to, I have not yet found out how to bring the beam up if it is even possible. You will find it better with up graded bulbs though. If you go the HID kit route check with your insurance as in some cases as they are not legal under EU law will invalidate some insurances.

Kit is easy to fit though as I recall to be legal you need headlight washers automatic level adjustment and projector type lens.

If yours are like mine you won't have automatic leveling.

Good luck, if you sus how to get the main beam up let me know.

Take it easy bud.. :Smile:

3. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Thanks for the info. I just had a look at the manaul and it says that headlight aim is for dealers only and then it refers you to the page that tells you how to adjust the headlights up and down using the knob in the car. However, it did have a nice diagram on how to change headlight bulbs which didn't look *too* painful. I will need to investigate further into that.
    Are the Ring Ultra's a really big difference or just an improvement? I'm a huge fan of the 55w HID conversion, makes dark Cornish roads much more tolerable!
    Failing the HID route, I wondered about trying something like this:
    Upgrade Headlight Bulbs H1 Helium 100w 5500k NEW | eBay

As for adjusting the main beams, I noticed by looking at the car that there are what appears to be two sets of markings offering up/down movement and only one with Left/Right movement. This is why I was thinking the main beam could be moved independantly because normally they're not. I just need to know which fittings they refer to and how to operate them before I can experiment a bit.

4. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    i fitted my HIDs with in a week to mine pretty easy best way is to remove front bumper and head lights only takes about 10mins.the bumper is only held on with clips across the top some clips across the bottom and 2 screws one on each side of wheel arch.iv had no issus with the police and iv never have on any of my other carsiv got 6000k bulbs.also the bulbs you will need are H1 bulbs and they will be fine with your wiring.

20120728_112415.

5. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Primarycare, I wrote you a reply last night but it had a link in it to some lights on ebay. It hasn't shown yet as it says it wanted moderator approval.

Adam, do your lights get picked up at MOT time ever? I know they've not long changed the rules on this.

Last edited: Wednesday 3rd Oct, 2012
  6. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    you do have to change them for MOT iv only had this car 3 months so not had it moted yet but im an MOT tester my last car had them in and my mate passed it every year so will see what happens when my MOT is due lol

7. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    The HID conversions aren't road legal and they've changed the regulations to make them an MOT fail. In order for it to be legal you have to have headlight washers installed and self levelling lights. I have HID main beams in my old car and I have to change them for the MOT. The dips are factory HID's in that car with the washers and self levelling as standard though.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will be surprised how may people are still get MOT pass certificated with HID's today. It is one the reasons why I went for ADAS on my 8th Generation to get the factory fitted HID's.

9. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    the police round hear are so layed back i had an ibiza before my honda and the number plate was in the window for 3 years never once got pulled for it had loads look.i do alot of riding in wales etc and again never got done i even had HIDs on it this is what it looked lkke

20120225_154110.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ^^ i want to live around your neck of the woods the cops around my way are mega strict on number plates and illegal plates are dish out tickets.

I have not been stopped thou :Blink:

11. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I've just bought a set of 100w H1's. The wiring should handle 100w ok. I will try those first in order to avoid MOT hassles (yes I know they're still naughty but MOT guys don't test the output) and see how I get on. If they're rubbish then I'll have to get a couple of HID bulbs. I've already got ballasts etc from my old car that are fine but I'm not sure if they'll upset the canbus setup.
    Might be a week or so till I fit them as I'm heading off to London for a bit.
    Will keep you guys posted.
    Shortly I will go outside and have a proper look at the up/down issue as it isn't raining like it was last time I looked so I'll be more inclined to investigate further!

Michael likes this.
  12. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    they don't have canbus wiring so you will be fine

Ichiban likes this.
  13. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I thought everything was canbus these days? I don't have a wiring diagram for the car so I haven't really looked into it. I just assumed.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In German turd land they do ^^ :Wink: not on Honda for now.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With winter coming, lights will be on longer and more often.

100W will almost certainly frazzle your wiring due to the heat involved and/or will weaken the plastic headlight lenses too. All it will take is a tiny pebble to hit that lense and it will shatter. Then you're looking at hundreds of pounds for a new headlight.

I would not risk it.

16. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I've used 100w's in several other cars now before HID kits existed and never had a problem. I steer clear of the 130's and 150's but I could easily install a couple of relays to protect the wiring.
    I take your point about the plastic, I will be watching it carefully.
    The main beams are 60w so I would think another 40 would be ok....

17. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi
    I would not go 100 w bulbs. If nothing else I am fairly sure they are not road legal same as the HID kit with insurance companies looking for any reason to wriggle out of claims these days it is just not worth the risk IMO .

I spoke to my MOT tester today and he said he does pass them with HID kits at the moment unless the beam pattern is adversely effected in which case they fail.

Again as these are not legal for read use you risk invalidating your insurance.

The kits on ebay are pants in the main cheap stuff from China with poor insulation and quite a few DC kits floating about. If you do go for them I would go UK seller AC kit and no higher K than 430 so as not to attract plod to the fact you have them. The more blue the light the more the chance of a pull and also the less light they will give. Besides blue light to the front of the car is not legal. I know many people have these kits and I don't blame them I would to if they were legal.

Yes the ring ultra are far and noticeably better than stock but main beam, at least in my case is to low. No idea how to alter that sorry. If I did I would as drives me nuts at night.

Philips and osram also do good up grades and i have tried both but the ring bulbs I have found the best.

None will be as good as the HID option though however they are legal.

With mine if I could just get the main beam up I would be happy. Like you I also live out in the sticks and am often down in Somerset so am well used to the lanes you must have to navigate and good lights are vital. 55 w HID may be over kill and remember other drivers need to be able to see to pass you coming the other way without having their retinas burns out :Smile:

Good luck fella

18. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I thought I'd add a little to this.

I drove the car 330 miles in darkness & heavy rain the other day and the standard lights on dip beam weren't as good as my last car's HID's but they were still much better in those conditions than I thought they were going to be.
    Maybe I won't bother with the 100's afterall, they weren't too expensive.

I also believe I've found the height adjustment on the levelling motor. X head screwdriver down a hole on to the gear. It does not appear that the main beam is adjustable independently afterall despite marking that suggest that it may be.
    Will let you guys know how I get on with the height adjustment. I plan to raise the height just one turn both sides to start with and see how I go from there.

Last edited: Monday 8th Oct, 2012
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    G12 can I just ask what is your the internal headlight adjuster set at ? This is located on the right hand side of your steering wheel It has marking from 0 to 3

20. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    It's currently on it's highest setting. The headlights are probably adjusted spot on, I just want them a *little* higher out of personal preference. I seem to have to do that to all my cars. It's nice to have them a bit higher on dark twisty undulating roads and then the normal height on better roads with oncoming traffic which is easily achievable with the rotary switch....