Electrical & Lights Headlight Aiming

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Tuesday 17th Feb, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to manually aim the headlamps (Dipped) on the 7th Generation accord? Mine is non HID. The electric leveling works but the alignment seems off, my old car you could use an allen key to fine tune it but I havent figured it out on the accord yet.

Cheers!

Last edited: Saturday 21st Feb, 2015
  2. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Any input on this?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry no one has replied, seem this one has slipped through unanswered. I think there must be a way to adjust them. Sorry i'm not sure how but you need to park the car up against the wall and make sure the beam pattern is correct.

4. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Yuh, as I said, done it on 2 previous Peugeots (I am quite fussy about headlamp alignment), just not as obvious on the Accord. Less inclined to be sticking allen wrenches into random things on this car, I like it far too much :Smile:.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Quick rummage and I have found an old Peugeot headlamp trim servo (here is one I broke ealier :Tongue:) . As you can see there is a big hex adjustment screw on the top.

DSC_1608.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 22nd Feb, 2015
  5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    There is a process to do it. Making sure the car is unloaded with a full tank of fuel. Only the driver in the car on level ground. That's it off the top of my head. You have to turn the headlights on and off with the ignition on and off so many times. I don't think there is a manual adjust.

6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    That would make sense for the HID as it legally must have auto levelling, but there should be a manual adjust for non HID set up as it does not auto level? I may be wrong but it is possible on Peugeot and Vauxhalls.

Cheers for the input though.

Last edited: Saturday 21st Feb, 2015
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it's passed the MOT Ned then the headlights must be lined up just fine :Smile:

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    You can adjust them manually, I am also quite anal about my headlight alignment and you should check them each time you replace a bulb ideally. I had to align mine when I installed my HID's. Anyway, here are some pictures, hopefully they will help a bit

This is the adjustor for moving the alignment left and right - this rarely goes out so you shouldnt need to touch this
    IMAG1257.

This is the adjustment for the up and down angle of the headlights. You want your headlights pointing at a slight downward angle to avoid blinding oncoming users. The left side of the light emitted is always slightly higher at an angle, its designed this way to help illuminate road signs and not blind other road users.

IMAG1258.

IMAG1259.

I very much doubt this is even remotely close to the official Honda way of doing it, but I have always aligned my headlights the same way. Park facing a wall or fence around 10-15 feet away from it on a level ground, correct tyre pressure, full fuel tank and see where your pattern falls. Brick walls are great for this as the bricks form a nice line which makes it easy to see where your light pattern is falling. You want the beam to be slightly heading down so at that distance, I normally aim them around one brick level (around 2.5 inches roughly) below the height of the headlight units. This gives a nice even spread of light across the road a nice distance ahead and does not blind any users. Never had anyone flash me yet or failed an MOT as a result of poor alignment.

Make sure your electronic headlight aimer is at position 0 when you do this so that if you do get it wrong, you can dip them further on the move to prevent any blinding of motorists. Takes a quite thick philips screwdriver to adjust the up and down (clockwise is UP and anti clockwise is DOWN), whereas a simple 10mm spanner does the inner and outer alignment.

Hope this helps.

exec, Chunkylover53 and nauest like this.
  9. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Spot on, thats exactly what I was looking for! New bulbs in and the left beam is slightly below the right which causes and annoying 2 tone light area. Look forward to tuning that out! Cheers.

10. Nighthawk Guest

If memory serves me correctly, to sort the left beam out, you need to remove a bit of trim to get access to the adjuster screw, but other than that, its the same. Those pictures were from the drivers side of the car.

nauest likes this.
  11. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I did think those where what those holes were for, but didn't want to shove tools in there without being sure! Can I just confirm, there is one for dipped and high beam? Which is which?

12. Nighthawk Guest

As far as I am aware, it adjusts both. It adjusts the entire inside unit. I do stand to be corrected though if anyone knows different.

13. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ah, fair enough. That still works for me. Thanks for your help!

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

You're welcome, we are here to help each other. Let us know how you get on.

15. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Did this tonight, very easy, big screw driver in the slot and you can move them up and down no trouble, aligned perfect now! Thanks again.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've been wondering this for ages and never actually asked anyone or looked into it :blush:

Nighthawk and nauest like this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

Glad you got it sorted mate, another job sorted on your car.