Electrical & Lights Headlight condensation

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by akingsley, Wednesday 3rd Dec, 2014.

1. akingsley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

I posted the following earlier today in reply to an existing thread about condensation in Accord headlights, but realise that it might have been better starting a new thread. As you might guess I'm not very good at this forum malarkey!

Rather than composing a new post, the following is what I said......

"I had this problem with my pre-facelift model (2004) and very reluctantly learned to live with it. However, three weeks ago I bought another Tourer, a 2007 facelift model with only 36k miles and am having the same problem. I thought Honda had resolved this issue for the facelift cars, but obviously not. It's appalling that this is happening to a car of this quality and Honda should be ashamed of themselves. I see no other carside of any other make, or at least very very few, with this problem, even those much older, so why is it happening to these? Aren't Honda offering some kind of deal to owners to sort this out? If not, they should be! Extremely disappointed!"

akingsley

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Please do not make duplicate posts. We do answer everyone as soon as we can.
    I can understand you being upset, water ingress can occur from other places too. Have you checked that all the bulb covers seals are correctly fitted?
    IIRC, the original problem was from the weld. Does you Accord have a FHSH?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Yeah, worth checking that. Mine have slight condensation but they were replaced when I had an accident 5 years ago so I'm thinking they've replaced them with pre-facelift ones (that is, if they fit).

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I noticed I had some in my N/S headlamp recently. So yesterday beefy took it off, split the lens from the casing, dried it out and then re-sealed it with silicon. Job done and was sweet as a nut this morning after standing all night.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. akingsley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all.

I can answer some points but will check others in the light at the weekend.

Firstly, apologies for posting twice. In fact I didn't think the first one had posted at all.

The car has a full service history, mostly Honda, but latterly by independent garage.

As far as I am aware the headlights haven't been replaced. I don't know how I could tell. I do have quite a few receipts for work done over the last few years and there's nothing mentioned in those. They do have blue tinted sections at the outside edges if that helps.

I will check the other points at the weekend - cover, cracks etc, although fairly certain there are no cracks in the lenses.

7. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Got condensation in my nearside one also, how straight forward is it to remove the headlamp and also to split and re-seal, I'm guessing the bumper needs to be dropped?
    Cheers Pete

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes, you'll need to drop the bumper. The headlights are quite easy to remove then. I don't know how easy it is to split them, maybe someone else can chip in.

@SpeedyGee did some work on the fog lights, so there's some info on the link below.
    Don't forget to put something under the bumper before you take it off.

Front Fog Light Replacement

SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Thanks nels

10. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Might go down the route of silica gel bags and see what happens, as I just know if I attempt to remove that bumpers clips etc. are gonna break then I'll be in a worse mess!!LOL also think previous owner has tried things as the rubber cap on the back of the headlamp seems to have dried up black grease of sorts where the connector is, fingers were covered in the sticky mess after fiddling around there checking it was on properly !!LOL with the silica gel bags does anyone know exactly where they should be fitted to have the most effect?
    Cheers Pete

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The black clips do break quite easily, but they are only pence online. A quick search on ebay will find them.
    Maybe someone else can help with the positioning of the gel bag. However, not too close to the bulbs, as these do get very hot.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They tend to be tapped down inside the H1 dipped housing from the factory, perpendicular to the front of the casing. Bare in mind that whatever tape you use will have to be heat proof, it gets rather toasty in there.

I've had a couple singed in the past, so would definitely recommend the above.

13. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Cheers for the replies guys appreciate it.
    Cheers Pete

14. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Condensation seemed to stop in mine for a while and now back again I noticed! with reference to the photo below, I get the condensation in the area indicated by the RED arrow, but can only get easy access to the lamp that is (has the large whiteish coloured screw on cap) indicated by the YELLOW arrow, is this where people are putting the silica bags if so is still likely to help with the condensation being at the other end of the headlamp?
    Cheers Pete
    headlamp_zpsh1wxtrfk.