Electrical & Lights Headlight help !!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Rhys, Saturday 9th Mar, 2013.

1. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My accord came with a xenon headlight conversion when I bought it and I have been told that the car might not go through an MOT with them as the lenses were designed for normal bulbs and not xenon. If this is the case I would like to replace the headlights with ones from a Type-R. Did the Type-R have xenon headlights and would they fit on my 2000 VTEC s 1.8 ?

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    As you say the car shouldn't pass an MOT. They need to have the appropriate lenses, plus the car also needs to have headlight washers and self levellers. The MOT tester should measure the light output and if it exceeds a stated level, indicating xenons are fitted, the headlight washers an levellers need to be fitted for the car to pass. But, and this is a big but, the tester may not test the light output to see if it exceeds the stated level so won't bother looking for the washers or levellers. Or as is the case with my car, the car has after market xenons and factory fitted headlight washers, but the MOT tester has no way of testing if the self levelling device works (or is even present) so benefit of the doubt has to be given that it is present and working, even though it's not fitted on my car. So result for me is an MOT pass.

Until you get it tested there is no way of knowing for certain if it will pass. Can you not just change the bulbs back to standard for the MOT test then refit the xenons once it's passed?! Would be cheaper than changing both headlight units.

3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am thinking about replacing the headlights anyway as mine have gone cloudy but thinking about it ?! that might go to my advantage as it would block out some of the light lol ! I'll have to pull out the bulbs to see what has been done as I am unfamiliar with xenon fitment.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You might be able to clean up the clouding on the lights. Should just require a little elbow grease. Do a search you should find others on here who have done it.

5. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have tried bicab of soda by hand but I think I need the drill polishing attachment to make a noticeable difference

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's a good chance you're fail an MOT for cloudy lenses.
    The tester won't be able to get a beam pattern.

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Damn double fail !!! ;-) will the accord Type-R headlights fit and did they come with HID from the factory ?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    ATRs have standard head lights.

9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Triple fail lol Looks like im going to have to put standard bulbs in for MOT

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    At the price it's not a bad solution :Wink: I've had a lot of luck with simply toothpaste restoring headlights, it takes a fair bit of elbow grease if you're not using a circular polisher mind.

11. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I tried the bicarb trick by hand, it took the yellow away as I could see it on the cloth but the cloudiness still remained :-( I will try it again with a drill attachment and see how that goes

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You may also be looking at condensation on the inside if the seal has gone.

13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I do have condensation on the drivers side been told to take the bulb out and use a hairdryer to clear it

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd imagine that will do the trick, just hope that it doesn't become your new weekly thing chore :Whistle: