Body, Paint & Styling Headlight problem

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by joiner, Tuesday 6th Aug, 2013.

1. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    P1014505. P1014504. P1014506. Right fellow members, I have a problem with my driverside headlight of which seems to have an opaque coating on the inside as shown. The front wing has been resprayed at Honda before purchase so I just assumed it was overspray but on wet and dry sanding then polishing it still remains:Aghast:. I am maybe thinking it is condensation, could this be?, if so anyone any idea what to do, don't really want to go down the route of separating the headlight as yes I can do diy but don't like the thought of melting £140 headlight in the oven. Have enclosed pictures that shows you the problem, come on fellow members and give me a miracle cure please!!! as it is really bugging me big time, you just want to rub it away, sooooo frustrating.

2. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I have exactly the same on my 2011 Accord EX, also drivers side, but not as bad as yours yet... anyone???

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dennis can you post some picture of the same issue please..

Joiner that looks like a reaction of some sort can't definitively by looking at the pictures. It could be internal or external hazing. When you feel the outside with your finger do you sense any distortion?

I won't apply anything on headlight or repair it until you are sure 100% what it is.

However this is the first time any sort of hazing has been seen.Do you have aftermarket HID blubs or LEDs fitted?

4. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi I have seen similar thing before if it is condensation take the back covers off then switch your main beam on and it should go away leave it on for an hour or so and the water will escape then put covers back on, if it doesn`t go away it might be that they have done a smart repair on the car and the people doing that don`t take any parts off the car they spray it on the car and then use halogen heaters to dry the paint, which if are to close will melt the lights from the inside as the heat can not escape.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can all the people with this issue or other planning to come out of the woodwork . Can I suggest please upload pictures of this issue. If you do not you post will be removed.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Interesting and plausible.. but you could have seen some blistering as those halogens lights can get as hot as the sahara desert.

Honda Headlights are tested up to 50 degree C

7. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it was just an educated guess from the pictures you can`t see much but he did say that he already tried sanding the outer surface so it seems to be inside

8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If it is condensation then I can confirm that taking the back rubber covers off the headlight does work. I had condensation on the drivers side headlight and after taking out the HID conversion that was installed there were holes left in the rubber covers and after a few days of the car being out in the sun the condensation vanished !!!! So I guess with the heat of the sun on the lights the condensation was allowed to escape due to the holes in the rubber covers.

9. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    Mine had this on pretty bad so I got some new ones in the end

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Adam did you approach Honda prior to changing them? do you still have the old headlights? would like to see some more pictures of this.

Joiner as you can see few of your responses are still missing, we still have some restores to do so bear with me.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dennis can you upload some pictures please?

12. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I'll try and take some over the weekend

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    i didnt no as mine is a 58 plate and just put it down to getting old really

14. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    Do you think my headlight would be covered under my honda extended years warranty?. I have already been onto them about my sunroof!, they will be getting fed up of me.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well I would have thought they could have looked into a gesture of goodwill and potentially start recording these occurrences. There is no warranty extension on the headlight in fact there is no official problem reported.!!

If people came forward with pictures and approached dealers then you could see some action, as for approaching your dealer for repeated work or warranty claims should not put you off.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries bud.