Electrical & Lights Headlight replacement - Xenon or Halogen? Guidance please...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by thunder2, Thursday 28th Mar, 2013.

1. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got my first Honda and it's lovely. But, both headlights are cloudy and I'm looking to replace them.

It's a 2004, 2.4 Petrol car and I'm wondering if I should get replacement units or take these off and repair them. Any advice would be much appreciated on what is the easiest option.

I'm thinking, for speed's sake, buy a couple of replacements and repair the old set when I can (!) but I 'think' they're Xenon's but am not sure.

They headlights are just like in the attached picture.

Are these xenon lights or halogen?
    Are they easy to remove?
    Once remove, are they easy to repair or is it just a replace job?

Any help is much appreciated.

:Aghast:)

Honda Accord.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 29th Mar, 2013
  2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You can buy headlight restoration kits that will get rid of the cloudiness or there are some home remedy solutions you could try before you go out and buy new headlights. Some people say that toothpaste works or bicarbonate of soda mixed with warm water. I tried the bicarb of soda myself by hand and didn't really get the result I wanted but it did take out alot of unseen dirt. I think that if you want to get better results you need to use either an electric polishing tool or the polishing disc drill attachment. I ended up buying a special polish made by Meguiars called plastX but I haven't had the time to test yet, if the weather is good tomorrow I'm going to give it a go with the drill :Smile:

3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    yeah you get kits which do the job just fine.
    Did my audi and passat come up perfect well for German rap that is. Turtle wax kit is what i used from memory enough to do 4 headlights easy but lots of elbo grease involved. May be better kits our there just make sure they come with a uv sealant to finish with or you will be back where you were when the sun gets to them

Last edited: Wednesday 3rd Apr, 2013
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to AOC Thunder2.

Is yours an Exec or Type-S ? The Exec has OEM Xenons fitted, not sure about the Type-S

As above, you can scrub them back to good help. Meguiars PlastX is pretty good.

5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    No headlamp washers, by law a car with standard fit Xenons needs to have them plus auto levelling.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thunder two , there is no cloudiness known to exist yet on the 7th Generation.what you have is internal condensation there is no need to buff out this you will achieve nothing.

Its a known issue http://hondakarma.com/threads/108/

You will have standard H1 halogen bulbs on your car, the only car which got HIDs as standard was the 2003 EX and 2006 ADAS 2.4 EX in auto.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for the info. I now know that I have OEM Xenons fitted as I have no levelling switch and automatic headlamp wash installed.

And, you're right, I don't have cloudiness, I have internal condensation in one of my units so it's that that needs addressing.

It's out of warranty so I'm trying to find a replacement headlight but the Xenons are proving hard to find. Does anyone know where I can get the part number for this? Don't really want to go back to Honda dealers so is it something that I can repair myself...?

Any assistance appreciated.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bud you won't have HID or xenons on 2004 Type-S it will be a H1 halogen it won't be a D2S type bulb. To remove the the internal condensation you can try a few silica gel bags but keep them away from low beam the heat off them will burn the outer covering.

Try remove the low bean cover a white or black cover rotate and see for your self you will have a H1 connector.

9. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My log book and Lings says my Accord is an Exec model (that's nice!) so, will the silica gel packs work on a HID/Xenon headlight? If not, is there another way to get rid of the condensation?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You don't have any headlight washers so you won't have HIDs.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The picture you have uploaded is a Type-S grill and Type-S bumper, that is not an EX... silica gel will work in your halogen lights yes. The other way of totally removing them is replacing the entire headlights with new one may be from a facelift one.

You can only contain that condensation you can't eradicate it on the preflight lights.

12. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really sorry, it was raining the other day so I took a stock photo of what I thought was the same unit, but that unit didn't have headlamp washers. I've now taken a picture of my unit and as you can see, it has got headlamp washers so is a Xenon unit. Sorry about the confusion there, I'll look properly next time!

I've now contacted the local Honda dealer who says they may be able to do something for me so just waiting for them to call back. I'll update as soon as I hear...

If they come back with bad news though (most likely), is it easy to get rid of this condensation or is it time to look for another headlight...?

Light1.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right that is the the EX now. is that a 04. Mine is a 2007 which washers and it has halogens no HIDs\Xenons.

if your car is 03/53 reg it will have HID, anything after that won't only exception being the 2006 2.4 CL9 CM2 auto ADAS.

Ask the dealer to look up your VIN number to see if the headlight clips were replaced if they were then you have no chance of any GOGW from Honda way too late for that.

Homefix

When the temperature rises into double digits (Higher the better )remove the low beam cover get a hair-drier into the back to evaporate the condensation. the headlight covers should have there o rings they are large. if they are bent, damage or missing replace them.

close the lid until you feel resistance on locking. once all the condensation is gone inset your silica gel bags as indicated before.

14. thunder2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update from local Honda dealer. It's a known fault and Honda extended the recall on this to 6 years but as my cars falls outside of that, all they can do is supply me a new unit at £338.65 plus £62 to fit it.

Looks like it's a repair job!

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't know if you missed this post in this thread which states that http://hondakarma.com/posts/35981/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have finally found why you are so confused as you have been told somewhere else they have Xenon well they are wrong too. The source which told you they do have xenon...99.9% of them don't have a clue anyway :Tea: its the blind leading the blind..