Detailing Headlight Restoration - Non Abrasive Method

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by speeding_ant, Monday 13th Jun, 2016.

1. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Just a quick heads up - my headlights were starting to get some oxidisation marks on them, so I decided to clean them up. I did a bit of research, almost everyone said to sandpaper + polish them up, then apply some UV resistant clear coat. However, the headlights were mostly OK apart from a couple of patches, and this felt a bit extreme to me.

Turns out, you can remove oxidisation from acrylic plastics. I wasn't sure on the chemistry, so I took a punt on this product: Pittman ALR APC 7cc Acrylic Plastic Headlight Cleaner Deoxidizer Conditioner | eBay

It works amazingly well, and removed the marks really quickly without damage. Worth trying before destroying the original UV coating.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Interesting. do post some photos of before and after if you can.
    I think sandpaper method is popular because its the cheapest while the 3M polishing kits are slightly more expensive. This product seems to be unavailable in UK and has to ordered from USA. :/ maybe worth investigating an alternate to this that can be found locally...

3. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Sorry - I don't have before photos.. neglected to take them. 3M polishing kit is roughly the same method.

I had it delivered to NZ, so I'm sure it could be delivered to the UK without much hassle.