Electrical & Lights headlight restoration sanding discs and arbor?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Monday 22nd Feb, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

I need to restore my headlights. I've read the guide in the DIY section, the author of which used the 3M kit which is available for about £20, not including the UV sealant.

However, I'm thinking that I'd be better off just buying the sanding arbor, sanding discs and polishing discs separately. Because then I'd be able to get replacement discs and have a tool I can use again and again. My thinking is that these kits are always skimpy on the materials, and there is bound to be quite a markup on the kit from 3M. These sanding discs should be pennies if bought separately.

But I'm not sure where to get them from separately. Any ideas? The ones in the kit look to be a couple inches diameter and stick on to the arbor via velcro.

Thanks

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    hey Dan, if you think you are going to be ok with sanding the headlights, I see no reason why you can't do it.
    I have done it before although to my Yaris's headlight but principle is the same. I simply bought multi-grades of wet and dry sandpaper (200-2000) and went through from roughest to smoothest and at the end of it was left with pretty great headlights. Do remember to apply some sealant otherwise the sunlight will make the yellow again in no time. My Yaris was too cheap for that so I just used to keep the headlights nicely waxed.

This video explains most available options pretty well:

3. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi thanks. Did you just use sandpaper by hand? I want to get the drill attachment and sanding discs really, but feel that I should be able to get it cheaper than buying the 3M kit. As far as I can see its not possible to buy replacement discs - you have to buy a whole kit again. If I buy the tools separately I can reuse them time and time again.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

yep. I used no tools and I felt that it gave me better control since I couldn't sand down one area excessively even if I tried. Each new grade of sandpaper was used perpendicular to the previous one.

With drill attachments you should be ok too as long as you keep moving and don't go too overboard.

Here are some of before and after shots of my effort
    WP_20150413_001. WP_20150413_002. WP_20150413_012. WP_20150413_013. WP_20150413_015.

5. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice job.

That was the reason for my question - I cannot see where to buy the same type of sanding equipment that comes with the kits?

They either come with a round drill arbor or a round handheld device, both with round sanding discs. Where to buy these from separately?

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I only used this. £5 and job done.

unless you are talking about these:

which defeats the point as you might aswell buy the actual kit. and btw why do you think the 3M kit will only do one session? you headlight will probably be ok for atleast a year maybe more so why are you thinking about next use? you probably lose it during house move or something anyways. It is not a difficult decision to make tbh..

7. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im just thinking if I'm buying a sanding arbor tool for the drill it would be good if I could use it on other things too. But if I can't get the replacement discs then I can't do that.

The set of sanding discs you linked to on ebay is what Im looking for but the selection of grits is poor. I just want to buy this stuff loose!

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

you can't have everything in life, can you? good luck

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    i did mine there last week using a kit that is used for Aircraft transparencies.

Fantastic results and the only flaws in the finish are down to my lack of desire to continue rubbing.

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok ill probably just buy the kit then. Its just annoying that the sanding discs can't be obtained separetely as when im done ill have a drill attachment that i can't get discs for.

Its a waste of a perfectly good drill attachment.