Electrical & Lights Headlight trouble

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by liamp, Thursday 15th Nov, 2012.

1. liamp Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello to all!

I purchased a 2008 58 plate Accord saloon 2.2IDTEC 6 months ago after switching from a petrol guzzling and maintenance heavy Mazda RX8 and honestly love driving my new second hand Accord but have had a little problem with it recently and was wondering if anybody could help me out!

Basically my passenger side headlamp unit has a mind of its own sometimes just the main beam does not work, other times both the main beam and side light do not work, either way the indicator and high beam is always in working order. If i give the headlight a tap the offending lights come back on until the end of the drive normally. The same thing happens every time i go to use my lights!

Any suggestions? Loose connection?

If so is it a do-able DIY fix?

I look forward to your replies and to being an active member of the club.

liam!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello Bud and welcome to AOC and hope you new car can give you peace of mind albeit with lower fuel bills.:Wink:

Is your car fitted with Halogen or HIDs?

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Always worth changing the bulbs first and foremost, also the cheapest option.

Sometimes a dodgy bulb can do this.

Our family Mini had this problem, Mini dealer did all sorts of tests, Dad changed bulb and it was fine....

4. liamp Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban, my accord is fitted with Halogen bulbs

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be as simple as the one pin connector at the back of the headlight lose. You could remove the pin and see if the contact is good or the bulb is sat in its seat correctly.

To get easy access to the low bean for diesel cars,Remove the screw from the inner fender, and pull the inner fender back.

Turn the cover (A) 45 ° counter-clockwise to remove it from the headlight assembly.

CU3 Headlight Low beam.JPG

Disconnect the 1 Pin connector (A) from the headlight bulb (B). The Headlight Bulb (Low Beam should be 55 W, if you go aftermarket make sure you get the same rating.

CU3 Headlight Low beam B.JPG

Pull the retaining spring (C) away from the bulb then remove the bulb. Install a new bulb in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the notches in the bulb align with the tabs in the headlight.

Top Tip Do not touch the glass of the bulb with your hands. If necessary, clean the glass area with alcohol or IPA.

Make sure the one pin connector is snug and you cannot remove it easily use pliers to massage pin for a taught fit.

Coat the pin with die-electric grease to ensure a trouble free life.

6. liamp Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for your help, its much appreciated, ill give this ago and keep you posted

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cheers bud, it will be a simple fix. it can't be melted wires or any random fault. unless someone has been splicing and dicing cables in the surrounding area.