Bulletins & Advisories Headlight Washer Leak Due To Hard Water Contamination - UK Only -

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Thursday 11th Jun, 2015.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda have issued the following TSB #SP-08-005-00UK dated the 11-06-2015 for the following CR-V RE5, RE6 between model years (MY) 2013, 2014 & 2015.

Please note this TSB is only applicable in the UK not anywhere else.

Symptom
    Customers / Dealers report that headlight washer jets appear to be leaking when the washer bottle is refilled during normal use or vehicle servicing.

Cause
    In certain extreme “hard water” areas, when tap water is used to top up the washer system instead of pre~mixed commercially available washer fluids,
    Calcium Carbonate deposits (Limescale) can form and contaminate the washer jet seal compromising its sealing properties.

upload_2015-7-2_9-45-50.

The washer fluid tank on current CR-V vehicles (with headlight washer specification) is higher in position in comparison to the headlight washer jet.
    This difference in height naturally allows the water in the reservoir tank to leak past the contaminated seal until the tank water level is equal to the washer jet. When the bottle is refilled by Dealer or customer, it is possible for up to 1 Litre of washer fluid to leak past the seal. This is not considered a manufacturing fault due to the introduction of Calcium enriched hard water by customer or Dealer, and will not cause any detrimental effect on the function of the washer system. The volume of water remaining is 3.8 litres and will not effect the headlamp washer system.

upload_2015-7-2_9-47-5.

Supplementary Information
    Although this is not deemed a manufacturing defect, an investigation is currently in progress to establish any potential alternative repair method. Replacement of the washer jets for this complaint will only temporarily fix this concern. If a customer or Dealer within extreme hard water areas fails to use pre mixed washer fluid or “softened” water, repeat claims will continue. To prevent continual repeat claims while this issue is under investigation, please refrain from replacing the washer jets for this concern under warranty.Until any potential alternative option is available please advise the customer that pre-mixed washer fluid or water from a “softened” source should be used where possible. During this investigation, all CR-V washer jet claims will now be individually monitored case by case and will be controlled by the SP system (Special Permission). Any warranty claims which are accepted will now also require a 45ml washer fluid samples to be submitted and returned along with the affect washer jets. A global water hardness survey is also planned in order to assist with this investigation and dealers in high occurrence areas, maybe requested to provide tap water samples for evaluation. This will be communicated via separate request

crvgen4 likes this.
  2. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    I think you should also add Cyprus because we have the same model with headlight washer (EX model). Can you please confirm if his is also aplplicable to Cyprus?? I don't have the problem but I think it is applicable.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No mate on UK as per TSB.

4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It does not make sense to have a service bulletin per country unless the same feature was not offered in other countries. That is my opinion. But regardless this I am not puzzled about this for the moment because this SB is an evidence of the problem and the failing part.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good point, do you want to try hard water in your CR-V and see you get affected that will get the change wider to other countries and address the issue with revised washer resistant to hard watrer.

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What shall I add? Not......:Smile: