Electrical & Lights Headlight washers

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 13th Dec, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm angry.

My dad has had a bump with the Accord and to make matters worse the $%£$^£$%^$ camera never recorded it. Typical eh? There's footage the day before and today but nothing from yesterday. I think there could be a problem the extension lead I bought from Halfords but hardwiring the thing into my car this weekend so will know for sure if there's an issue with the camera.

Anyway, apparently the car in front reversed back into the Accord and has grazed the front offside part of the bumper - just to the outside of the headlight washer thing that pops up. It was very low speed but the bumper did detach slightly which popped back in. But, the headlight washers don't seem to be working.

I got my dad to turn the washers on whilst on the driveway and the car running but only the windscreen ones came on. Then it seemed like it had run out of fluid (although the washer light wasn't on I don't think - it does work though I know that for sure). So we topped up about a litre of washer fluid and tried again, still nothing. Went for a short drive but still nothing.

I manually pulled up the offside one and I could see the nozzle was a little bit wet. The nearside one was dry though.

Could it just need some pressure built up again? When I manually pull the cover up to expose the nozzle water still doesn't come through it when the washers are activated.

Any thoughts before hang, draw and quarter my dad? I have a horrible feeling this is going to be an expensive fix as I seem to remember the diagrams for this being complicated when I checked it out just due to curiosity. I'm also positive it will be an MOT failure due to the laws associated with HID lights.

God Damn it, he's only had the car a few weeks....sigh...it's going to turn into a bloody patchwork quilt like his last Honda.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The head light washers don't run everytime you use the windscreen washer, I think it only goes off once very 5 goes of the windscreen wash.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yep, once every 5 or 6 washes sounds familiar.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We did keep trying many times. He's going to fill the washer right up and try some more, I'm heading over there tomorrow (today really) so hopefully it will start working. Is it possible something has got damaged or disconnected? I wouldn't think it were that sensitive though.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had exact the same problem mate. Some idiot drove into the front offside corner of my bumper. They managed to break the cover bracket which clips onto the nozzle. Well I sorted that and then the washer didn't work.
    The problem is the pump for the headlamp is behind that corner pushed onto the end of the washer bottle.
    It's quite quick to strip the corner of the bumper to have a look behind. Three screws and three clips if I remember right. My pump the idiot has broken the spigot off the pump where the pipe attaches, so if I fill the bottle right up it pours out until it drops below the level of the pump, which is set higher than the main washer pumps.
    You need to have a look at the pump and check the wiring, if the pipe or spigot is broken it will pour out if you fill the bottle up.
    I still need to replace my pump, it's just finding the time to do it. The pump is around £40 I think.
    The pump should run everytime you wash your windscreen as long as your lights are on.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think that could be it as he said last night he kept trying and then saw lots of water dripping under the bumper.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm guessing you'd already know but the headlight washers rise up because of water pressure from the water pump. So assuming the washer is free to move the problem will be with the pump or the wiring to the pump.

As Rob said the headlights will need to be on to make the washers operate, but they don't work every time you wash the windscreen.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hose is broken or the spigot on the pump. Either way you need to undo that end of the bumper and shine a torch in to see. I reckon if undo enough of the bumper you could change the pump without removing the whole bumper.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers all. He's now moaning about what a stupid design it is. Funny how it wasn't a stupid design when it was working lol. Keeps going on about the Type-V being better with exposed jets but I guess they could be subject to clogging? Looks like I've a busy day tomorrow as well :Frown:

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think it is a bit of a bad design from the point of view that the pump is so vulnerable. You wouldn't know my car had been hit but the bumper flexes so well the impact takes out the pump. It won't take you long to drop the bumper.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate everything is from a bad design concept when things don't go right the front end of the accord is designed to collapse and all the plastic components takes a battering at slow speed. it can get the safety ratings otherwise.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had the bumper of this morning and the advice here was spot on. The head light washer pump (item 10) has broken where the plastic tube comes out and connects to the rubber pipes that go to the head lights. Too difficult to repair so new pump ordered.

Bumper is a right pain to put back on. Got photos so will upload when home.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Damn the damage is so minimal but renders the motor useless :Blink:

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exactly the same damage mine had. If the pump was mounted slightly different you'd get away with it. Even if the spigot on the pump was mounted different, but it sticks straight out in the line of fire.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye, it's a bummer. Don't even think I could mount it turned at 90 degrees as then the electrical contact would be exposed - and probably more difficult to sort if damaged! Shame the plastic piece coming out is so long as a shorter one would probably escape damage - or if there was a shield of some sort protecting it. I can understand why the Swedish put a huge bumper on their SAAB 900! lol

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    can it be JB Welded back on ? :Smile:

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Don't know, was thinking plumbers cement would work because its designed to take water mains pressure so could handle the pressure of this. But there's not much surface area to bond to, easier to just change the pump and not worry about having to take the bumper off again in the future.

18. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you are prob better to replace it, don't look too hard and as you say a repair is forever a doubt. the solvent cement plumbers use is as you say great stuff but it has to be done right or it won't last under pressure its only for drainage normally. :Unknown:

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Gone through the whole process of removing bumper and replacing the pump and it still doesn't work. Getting on my nerves now and becoming ridiculous this problem over a gentle shunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the bottom part with the rubber grommet actually have to be pushed right into the bottom tank because it feels like it won't fit and will break.

- - - Updated - - -

Fixed finally. Wasn't enough washer fluid to do the headlights and only windscreen working.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, it's leaking. I reckon it must push in further. Off it comes again.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol at long last! The tube coming out of the pump is split slightly probably from when the plastic bit bent it. Honda don't have it in stock so going to repair.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    lol like the running commentary , good you fixed it..