Electrical & Lights Headlights dim

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by raza4, Friday 1st Jan, 2016.

1. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Happy new year to all. I have a 05 d tourer. The headlights have been really dim lately and only light up about ten foot in front of the car. I have tried adjusting then and can confirm they do adjust I've checked the bulbs are the correct way up. My next step is to restore the lens. Online I've seen some posts suggesting dim headlights could be caused by bad ground connection. Could someone tell me where the headlight ground connections are so I can check and clean them up. Or suggest anything else that may be causing this. Thanks in advance.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is everything else working OK ? Is the battery being charged properly by the alternator ? Check the voltage at the terminals with the car on, should be around 14v

I'm not sure where the earth's are for the headlights.

Good idea to restore the headlights. If everything else checks out then get some Philips Xtream Vision or Osram Night Breakers bulbs, they should help brighten things up.

3. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Thanks for the quick reply speedy. All other electricals are working fine. I will borrow my dad's multi metre and check the battery. I will also get some brighter bulbs as you mentioned. I have also checked all fuses for headlights and adjusters. At the minute I'm driving with fog lights on at night to improve things a little but this isn't ideal as it's one of my pet hates when others do it.

4. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Take a look at the headlight outer covers... do they show any signs of fogging, or just an overall dullness?

A good way to check is to park your car about 2 meters away from a wall at night. Put your headlights (no fogs) and look at the cutoffline... it should be crisp and clean, and you should be able to see a hint of the colour spectrum at the very edge with the projector style lights. (check link for loads of images for examples) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...OxQKHeTuAEEQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=922#imgrc=_

If you can't see a clean cutoff line, then your headlights aren't letting the light through properly and need 2 things... A: Proper adjustment B: Lens restoration.

I wrote a handy little guide on restoring headlights using the 3M kit and a cordless drill and a couple of hours from start to finish... you can get them looking like new again. Total cost for everything was around £27 including new UV sealant to help prevent it happening again.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    retro fit HID 4300K and you will stay under the radar from MOT's NT.

My 2004 Tourer had them and produced a brilliant light source and looked stock to the car.

6. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Thanks for the great advice if the restoration doesn't improve things. I'll definitely look at the HID conversion kit. How much would it cost? And is it a difficult job to do? Thanks heckler my lights definitely don't look like those pics it's very faint light and only lights up just in front of the car.

7. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you can access the back of the bulbs check with the meter the volt supply this has to be done with the lights on engine running for a true operating voltage, determine the earth terminal and ground this with a decent wire to a good body ground or better still direct to the NEG on the battery. If the light increases this prove a resistance on the earth return,ie bad ground, Is it your dip beam or main beam or both that are dim?
    Looking for around 12volt plus with the engine running.
    Even if you upgrade you will need to have a decent earth and supply so this should be your first staring point.
    You can also measure voltage at the bulb using the earth at the bulb if this is low ie 9volts then you swap the earth to the battery NEG and the voltage is good ie12 then this also proves a resistance in the earth return.
    Hope this helps.

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A HID conversion would probably cost about £50-60 these days... Last time I did it was about 8yrs ago and I organised a bulk buy on the MX6 owners club, I think I got about 12 kits ordered and they threw in mine as a freebie. It made a hell of a difference and I did a side by side comparison as I had 2 MX6's at the time, one with and one without.

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    i did this to my last tourer, the problem is the actual projection of light infront of the car, even with the HID's they were improved, but still not great.

This time around I have gone with Osram Nightbreakers in the hope of at least a reasonable amount of light, but that's two identical cars in a row and neither of them had good dip beam.

For me, it has now got to the point where I am considering LED lightbars, but almost all of my driving is B and C roads, very rarely on a roads and motorways and even rarer to be around town, so for me, light is quite important.

10. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Thanks again for all the replies. I've had the car over 5years and the lights used to be good. They have gradually got worse Over time.

PeteMM likes this.
  11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    You're lucky. You have experienced good headlights on an Accord :Frown:

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Can you manage to take a couple of photos of the light lenses in daytime so we can see if they are the root cause of this. In my previous car I thought the lenses look normal until I decided to polish them out and that made quite a big difference even though the car was still using original spec bulbs. Once we have established that the lenses are not the cause then we can look into other things.. does throttle affect light output at all?

13. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    I will post some pictures if it ever stops raining. Looks like I'll have to wait till next weekend to crack on with these lights.

14. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    It's hard to see in the pics but they are gazed over especially the passenger side.

Attached Files:

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    To be honest they don't look too bad to me in the pics. I would buff the lenses out in any case.
    Lets see what other 7th Generation owners suggest.

16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I used the 3M Headlight restoration kit on my Civic and it made a world of difference to my one headlight. This is a good place to start. If you do use such a kit, remember to use a proper sealant (such as this one), or else the lenses will just fade again.

17. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Pull the bulbs out and replace with new ones, they just fade away after a while, you will probably find the base of the glass envelope is black? Your lamps look good, new bulbs revitalised my 54 tourer.

18. Dave Lewis Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It"s a fact that bulbs deteriate over time H1 bulbs don't cost too much ,
    Well worth a shot i had one blow so changed it and it made the other one look dim so changed the two
    and theres a definate improvement .

19. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Thanks I've got new bulbs on order. Ring h1 120%brighter.to be installed after I've restored them.

20. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Headlights restored and all though I'm not happy with my clear coat application which I will re do in the summer or re sand. My headlights are much better these bulbs are really good and they were only £11.50 a pair. If they last a decent amount of time I will be more than happy. Just need to re aim my lights now. Thanks for all the help.

legend-ary likes this.