Electrical & Lights Headlights Flaring and Dimming

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Malc, Saturday 8th Aug, 2015.

1. Malc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Malcolm S Worksop Notts
    I have a 98 6th Generation Accord ES
    I have noticed that, when driving at night , the headlights change brightness on a regular basis.
    I have also noticed that it does it only when the heater/blower/air-con system is switched on, I found this out after a night trip as I parked up with everything switched off bar the lights to see how regular it did it, but over a 5 min period it didn't do it, yet whilst out it was almost every few seconds.
    Any ideas as to why this should be?
    Thanks for looking.

Malc.

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Sounds very much like an alternator or belt failing to me...

You could check it if you have access to a multimeter.

Malc and Chunkylover53 like this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Malc likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Alternator or battery - does it happen more often or more pronounced when you put an extra electrical load on and off the system? An aircon system using a fair bit of juice when the clutch engages, so a slight dip could be normal. Test the battery out with a voltmeter and see what the current drop is like. An alternator takes a moment to readjust its voltage output to the new demands, hence the temporary dipping of the light. The battery should sustain it during this period, hence no dipping of current, but if it doesnt, the alternator compensates.

If it were me, I would check my battery (how old is it do you know?) and the alternator with a voltmeter when under sudden load (such as aircon clutch engaging, electric windows going up and down, rear demister on etc)

Malc and Nels like this.
  5. Malc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Malcolm S Worksop Notts
    Thanks for the help, everyone.
    I'll have them checked.
    I was told the battery was new not long before I bought it, and it certainly looks new.
    Thanks again.