Engine & Gearbox headlights popping

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by si_d_2003, Wednesday 11th Dec, 2013.

1. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey guys I have a 2007 2.2 and in 3montgs I have had to fit 3pairs of headlights. I even fit Phillips extra white and they lasted 2weeks. My misses told me she had to drive in the fog with just side lights because the headlights are gone Again! Any recommendations? Is there a common fault?
    Last edited: Wednesday 11th Dec, 2013
  2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

never heard of that happening it has to be a fault in the electrical system and will need checked out. :Search:
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you definitely not touching the bulbs as you change them? Also have you tried original Honda bulbs?
    If it is electrical and they're both blowing at the same time, I would check the output voltage from your alternator.
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Try fitting standard bulbs instead of anything marked 'extra white', 'ICE white', 'blue...' etc. I had a previous car which every time I fitted one of the previous mentioned type of bulb it would blow them in about 3 months. When I fitted the standard bulbs they never blew. In my opinion all the 'extra white' bulbs etc don't make much, if any, difference anyway. The blue one just look nice in the headlight rather than help you see better.

I think these 'extra white' and 'blue...' bulbs burn slightly hotter and if your car is sensitive, which some of them randomly seem to be, then they can go through bulbs quite regularly.
  5. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if you are using 1 pair a month then it aint the bulbs no matter if you got them from good as new shop, it has to be something causing a surge or a bad connection :Search:is there any other electrical problems :Search:it may help find your issue
    Last edited: Wednesday 11th Dec, 2013
  6. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, I've been putting in the 2quid ones for now but I am definitely not touching the glass. Will his help because the ballast is a lower voltage? All the bulbs I've taken out have heat discolouring on the metal where it joins the glass.
  7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is no ballast on a halogen bulb. But two quid bulbs will definitely be low quality. I wouldn't worry about the metal discolouring as halogen bulbs run very hot and the metal discolours from the heat. Try some Honda bulbs and see what happens.
  8. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK ill get some better quality ones. Yeah sorry I meant to say HID not his in my previous post, I was thinking of biting the bullet for HIDs, I've read a few posts saying check alternator output, renew the fuses, check earth straps. But most seem to have gone for HIDs in the end.
  9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I find that amazing. I had my previous car, an Accord Tourer EX i.CTDI for almost nine years and I never had to change a bulb. In previous cars I had to replace bulb for brake lights and side lights every year or so.
  10. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I was to look for some HIDs is there any good make or company to buy them from as there are loads on ebay and don't want to waste my money buying cheap tat.
  11. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is a bigger fault then people think, on my I-CTDI I'm for ever changing low dip bulbs, everything been checked alternator fuses etc I'm now having the same problem on the I-DTEC I'm putting it down to been taxi and lights on and off constantly and with been halogen bulbs burning out faster, noticed lots of Honda taxis driving around with a bulb out, other cars don't seem to have same problem.
  12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have to agree just had another one go on me given up buying the extra bright ones at £20 a pair had 3 sets of them all different brands spent more in bulbs than anything else lol
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When the last time you hear a petrol owner to have a failed bulb , people in the know shut the F up ! LOL
  14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I had a bulb out on my Christmas tree lights after an hour I told my missus to go and get a new set she asked whats wrong I said the lights are fkd then she said it was only a bulb so I said well you fix it deathly silence :Whistle: she looked and seen all the snapped cables then knew it was fkd :Happy::Happy:
  15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Never had a failed bulb in nine years on my I-CTDI. My petrol Omega the rear and brake lights were forever popping.
  16. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Just replaced my passenger headlight bulb again. Previous bulb only lasted 3 weeks.

Tried Halfords OEM specification bulb this time - sounds like a lot of tosh to me but not much more espensive.

I've had 3 Honda's and they have all chewed through bulbs. But if that's all I've got to complain about I'll be happy. :Smile:
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is there any condensation building up in the headlight ?

When you install them are you careful not to touch the glass on the bulb ?
  18. si_d_2003 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bit the bullet and got some HIDs. Touch wood, they have been in for nearly 2 months and they are fine. They are the longest lasting bulb so far. I would recommend them. They are easy to fit, your best to take the bumper and the lights out as it will save time
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just remember that strictly speaking your car isn't able to pass an MOT with aftermarket HIDs fitted into halogen lenses, and without auto-levelling and a working headlight washer (if one is fitted).
  20. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Do you no of 1 person who has failed an MOT due to HID kit as i don't???, I have also asked my mechanic regards this and his answer was if the car has auto levelling projector lenses and washer they have to work he can't fail if they don't have them, again wording regards MOTs